• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydrocodone withdrawal?

cloudstrise

Greenlighter
Hi, I was just wondering a few things that I have no one else and no where else to ask. I've been taking hyrdrocodone regularly for about 3 weeks now, and the first week and a half was just 2-4 pills a day, and I slowly progressed to the last 5 days of taking around 8 pills a day. I'm cold turkeying tomorrow, and I was wondering if I need to expect to go through withdrawal. And if so, will it be unbearable since I've only been on hydro's for about 3 weeks? I went through withdraws from Oxycontin and oxycodone daily use for 3 months a year ago, so I know how bad they can get. So, should I expect withdrawal? And if so, will it be mild since ive been using for under a month? If so, any tips on getting through it? Thanks. I really appreciate any help and advice.

Being that were up to 8 pills a day, I would expect that you will have some discontinuation effects. I've gotten withdrawals from binging like that whereas when taking small amounts, I would just feel a bit of discomfort. You will know probably the day after your last dose if you wake up feeling shaky and sweaty or have diarrhea. I'm hoping that it won't be too bad. Do you have any other meds you can use if this happens?

With short term use you'll probably be ok, especially when using therapeutic doses. I was in a similar situation and just experienced some mild anxiety. These days i get pretty bad withdrawals after only a short time using, but it's high doses of heroin and I've been addicted for years now. You'll be ok mate.

I have been taking 30 mg a day for 2 years. I am trying to find out what to expect from this as well. I want them out of my life but I'm terrified on how I will feel.

I wish you the best and I hope you successfully get off of them.

OP, you'll be fine. honestly, just drink lots of water and prepare to feel like shit for a 2-3 days. gotta pay to play. if you take a few grams of Kratom, it will stop the w/d almost completely. don't forget Imodium

Last edited:
I have been taking 30 mg a day for 2 years. I am trying to find out what to expect from this as well. I want them out of my life but I'm terrified on how I will feel.

I wish you the best and I hope you successfully get off of them.

I am an avid believer in using Kratom while detoxing (but it is also understandable to choose to use suboxone since you've been on it for 2 years). There is a lot of information on BL that will help, just look around. Also, this thread should help you and the OP get prepared for beating the withdrawals.
Respect and good luck!
Lucifer

Last edited:
I feel pretty confident in saying that you shouldn't have to make any extreme preparation for ceasing your Hydrocodone usage. It's not likely, even given your previous history with the drug, that your withdrawal will be of the severity that would require auxilliary drugs to make you functional. I imagine you will have the yawns and such for ~48 hours, but it's unlikely that you'll experience the more severe acute symptoms.