• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydrocodone and Alcohol

Panic247

Greenlighter
I was recently prescribed about 10 Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 5-325 TB for some bad back pain, which really did nothing for the pain, but that's another problem. I've been a pretty heavy drinker for the past 2-3 years, drinking 12 beers or so per night (light beer), with 1-2 days off per week. I DO NOT drink on the days I would take the hydros so I have not been drinking as much the past 2 weeks.

My question, since I am not mixing the two directly, am I still doing the same amount of damage to my liver as if I did them at the same time? I cannot seem to find anything to help with my back pain, so I am thinking of passing on a refill of the hydros, so I don't plan to continue the combo of pill and alcohol. Hopefully one of these days I'll get something that will at least make my back pain bearable.

Thank you!

If you are not taking the hydrocodone with alcohol, I think you're okay. Trouble is, drinking a 12 pack in one night is a lot. No judgment from me, it wasn't too long ago I was that drinker. It's not recommended to exceed 3,000 mg of acetaminophen in a day. So when you say you are prescribed 10 pills are you taking them all in one day?

I wouldn't turn down the prescription because cold water extraction is super easy and then you only have hydrocodone and little to no APAP.

I've had drinks while on hydrocodone but not 12 so I don't know what to say. If you take out the tylenol and keep it to a few beers you should be fine.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, on the days I take the Hydrocodone, I do not drink a drop of alcohol. I've only taken two pills a day, one in the morning, and one at night. I agree that the alcohol consumption is a lot, I'm working on it but it's not easy.

My main concern was the liver damage increase by now being on Hydrocodone, and drinking on the days I don't take it. I was diagnosed yesterday with a pinched nerve in my back, so hopefully I can get something that will help with the pain, because the Hydro is just not cutting it. Even with a muscle relaxer.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

^ A cold water extraction is a procedure that people do when they want to remove the acetaminophen from their pain pills. It's useful when you want to use a larger amount of the drug.

I've never had to do it but some people who get the 5/325 hydrocodone or percocet will do it to get rid of APAP, and our cousins overseas can buy low dose codeine pills over the counter so they do it.

There are videos and instructions everywhere so if I ever get low dose norcos or percocets I will definitely do it. I don't drink alcohol because of the meds I'm on but I still want to save my liver. I think APAP should be very low dose in prescribed medicines since it's in half the over the counter meds.

I can't figure out how to post my own thread/ conversation so I'm just going to ask here. How dangerous is combining 40-50mg of hydrocodone with about 750ml or 70 proof vodka? I've done that a few times and have been fine so far, but it does concern me. Hydrocodone by its self doesn't do a whole lot for me.....its like 30 minutes after I take it I feel a strong rush and feel drunk for like 30 seconds, then it's gone. Idk why it doesn't do much for me on it's own, but it doesn't. But I also wonder about the danger of mixing it with the amount of alcohol I drink.