• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Hydrochloriquine will the side effects last the entire half life?

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
So, my wife has been on 200mg hydrochloriquine twice a day for three weeks, but has been experiencing at this point intolerable side effects so discontinued it as she can’t get into see her rheumatologist for three weeks.

Looking up the drugs half life, it appears that a single 200mg dose had a 22.5 day half life!!! Does that mean she will experience these crippling side effects for that entire period? Or how would that work? I tried asking on a medicine forum on Reddit because I know bluelight is more for psychoactive drugs but I figured some of you may know the answer to this and those doctors tend to never respond to my posts because it’s really a forum for other doctors and pharmacists.

Thanks and I really appreciate it. Oh and side effects are nausea, trouble sleeping, emotional lability, very infrequent vertigo, and tinnitus.

I know she is safe it’s just these intolerable side effects and trying to get an idea of when most of them will subside. I really hope it’s not 22.5 days but it would make sense if it was.

So, my wife has been on 200mg hydrochloriquine twice a day for three weeks, but has been experiencing at this point intolerable side effects so discontinued it as she can’t get into see her rheumatologist for three weeks.

Looking up the drugs half life, it appears that a single 200mg dose had a 22.5 day half life!!! Does that mean she will experience these crippling side effects for that entire period? Or how would that work? I tried asking on a medicine forum on Reddit because I know bluelight is more for psychoactive drugs but I figured some of you may know the answer to this and those doctors tend to never respond to my posts because it’s really a forum for other doctors and pharmacists.

Thanks and I really appreciate it. Oh and side effects are nausea, trouble sleeping, emotional lability, very infrequent vertigo, and tinnitus.

I know she is safe it’s just these intolerable side effects and trying to get an idea of when most of them will subside. I really hope it’s not 22.5 days but it would make sense if it was.
Hey, sorry to hear that the wife is suffering (and I know what they say, happy wife equals a happy life). What was she taking the hydroxychloroquine for? Have the side-affects tapered off? Or is she still experiencing them? Does she have any other diseases/known drug sensitivities? Is she currently taking any other substances (prescribed or not)?

While hydroxychloroquine does have a long half-life, it doesn't necessarily mean that the drugs affects will be felt for the entire period. It is bio-available between 2 and 4.5 hours. So outside that window the drugs intended affects should no longer be felt. Is she still experiencing side-affects despite discontinuing?

According to the FDA monograph for hydroxychloroquine there is a risk of permanent retina damage over a certain dosage per kg. If you could supply her weight (if you are comfortable doing so) so we can possibly check to see if her doctor prescribed too much for her weight.

Hope she is feeling better!
Azed

Last edited: