• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Hurricane preperation. How do you do it?

beagleboy

Bluelighter
I moved to central Fl. 2 years ago, and we have experienced no real tropical storms. Storms that would cause my living situation to be disrupted ie. my grocer being closed and the roads littetered with Palm trees and other debris.

heres what I have in terms of food. I have a background in Nutrition.

Is there any one thing that you found you cant live without during and after a disastrous hurricane besides say........a generator and yer' Ipod?

Tape your windows in an x pattern! Batteries! Drugs!
If you have any refils due on medication grab them before the storm hits . I had to wait 2days for my pharmacy to open before I could pick up a refil for a benzo script I was on, it suuuucked

I don't have to prepare for hurricanes, I usually prepare for cyclones. Same shit, different spin.

Fill your bath tub with fresh water before the storm hits. You might want to clean it first but a full tub will supply enough drinking water for many days.

Forget about your iPod, if the electricity goes down then the chances of a working internet is slim and the battery life is a couple of days at best. Better option is a transistor radio with plenty of spare batteries. Emergency services will usually ensure radio broadcasts remain operational after the storm. Spare batteries for lanterns and torches.

I always have a full gas bottle for my BBQ and also have a gas powered lantern that I use camping. You should be able to cook and boil water for weeks with a large BBQ. Generators are fine if you have plenty of fuel but in an end of days situation you won't need to power your whole house. You'll need enough light to cook with then go to bed early at get up when the sun does.

I also have a couple of large tarps and plenty of rope to secure to the roof if it gets damaged. This has never had to happen, and the truth is it would be difficult to do this on my own. At best I could fashion a shelter to sleep under if I couldn't pitch a tent.

Stock up on essentials.

Water and lots of it. That's your number 1 priority.

Canned goods aren't a bad idea but other food you don't have to cook can be better. Protein bars, beef jerky, trail mix, pop-tarts, etc.

Batteries of all sizes. Can be used for flashlights and radios.

Candles. You'll save your battery life, plus let's be honest, it sets the mood :)

First aid kit. Ya never know. Say your windows bust and you're picking up glass and you cut yourself. Your set.

Toilet paper and baby wipes. Don't wanna have a stinky ass because you ran out of TP and electricity is out so you ain't got a shower.

Subscribe to as many preppers youtube channels as you can watch. Not the zombie apocalypse or doomsday ones, so be selective :)

I've been in a few. Expect up to a week of no electricity and no running water. Plan for 2 or 3 gallons of water per day per person for drinking, washing, flushing the toilet. 1 gallon per day per person at the minimum. Expect the roads to be blocked by fallen trees. Plan to commute by bicycle.

Yea everything Socko said, have a 72hrs worth of food per person(at any given time) in this case have a weeks worth of rations.

The best thing to do is stock up on canned foods and lots of water now. Don't wait until the tv is issuing warnings because when you get to the store, everything will be gone. Like others said, you can never have enough batteries. Buy those lamps for camping, they are a lifesaver for those dark nights.

We have a generator and used it for Wilma when our power was out for a week. Our house phone worked but cell towers were screwed up so you can't count on your cell phone having reception. I'm so glad we moved back to Michigan, I don't have to go through this shit anymore.

Yea, this is some good shit.

I watch tv through a tv that was a temporary tv as Hurricane Sandy wrecked my inlaws TV in New York. The insurance adjusters wouldn't pay for a new one so they had to bite the bullet. and they purchased a newer Model.

I'm going to buy some tarps to put over holes in my roof that the Caine causes because Central Florida has crazy fast storms.
My apt is twice the width of a tractor trailer. I have had to tarp loads when I drove for a motor carrier.

I forgot to mention, your important papers (policies, birth certificates, social security cards, etc) should be put into Ziploc bags so they don't get ruined. Also, my dad used to take photos before the storm hits for insurance reasons. I had a tree uproot and fell onto my car's roof.

boogie boards!
gulf of mexico has no real surfable waves. There are usually some heads wanting to ride hurricane waves prior to when the storm hits land.
2 years ago I wore my bike helmet and swim fins while body surfing waves with a few other tourists and locals in the Gulf of Mexico

Proper big storms usually bring localised flooding and power failures that wreck havoc with sewage systems. I'd hit the surf before a storm hits (and have almost drowned at least once in large swells) but stay out of the water until the human sewage released has diluted.

move to where there are no hurricanes, just dont move to where they have tornados, you'll have to move again :)