Votes: 4 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
d: martin scorsese
s: Asa Butterfield, Chloë Moretz, Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jude Law

Summary: A 12-year-old orphan, clock-keeper and thief lives in the walls of a Paris train station in 1930. His survival depends upon his anonymity, but he soon becomes embroiled in mystery involving a stolen key, a treasured notebook, and an enigmatic mechanical man.

Analysis: One of the things I admire about Martin Scorsese is the versatility. As much as he often works with the same actors and will always come back to the American gangster genre which he's become synonymous with, from film to film he will shake up his palette. This has seen him stretch his wings into pure genre thrillers, documentaries, costume dramas and historical biopics.

Following on from last year's dark psychological period thriller "Shutter Island", Scorsese has opted for something at the complete opposite end of the spectrum - a family fantasy adventure. Not only is it his first 3D film, but it's a kind of film that he's certainly never come even close to tackling before which should hopefully make the results refreshing.

"Gladiator" scribe John Logan has penned this adaptation of the Brian Selznick's bestseller "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" which Scorsese shot in London and Paris during the second half of last year. For the titular role he cast wide-eyed 13-year-old British actor Asa Butterfield, probably best known for his roles on film in "Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang" and "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" and on TV as a young Mordred in BBC's "Merlin".

Joining him in the female lead role is rising actress Chloë Moretz ("Kick Ass," "Let Me In"), while the adult supporting cast is truly astonishing - Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jude Law, Christopher Lee, Ray Winstone, Emily Mortimer, Richard Griffiths, Helen McCrory, Frances de la Tour and Michael Stuhlbarg amongst others. One name not expected to appear though is Leonardo DiCaprio, marking Scorsese's first narrative feature in nine years that hasn't starred the actor.

Cinematic pioneer Georges Méliès is not just an inspiration but a key character in the project, and Scorsese tells The Guardian that the automaton in the story is essentially a metaphor for cinema itself - "how people express themselves using the technology emotionally and psychologically. It's the connection between the people, and the thing that's missing – how it supplies what's missing."

Those who think Scorsese is merely taking it easy on 'Hugo' should think again. The filmmaker has always been a huge fan of the cinematic form in and of itself, never afraid to experiment with it or push it in directions the audience may not want to go. With a=the film set at a turning point in movie history and adopting a technology that has the possibility of changing the very nature of movies and how they're seen, I think we'll definitely get something special here.

hugoc.jpg

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18994/the-notable-films-of-2011-part-six

finally saw this tonight. nice story and amazing visual effects.
4/5

i was really bored by this movie and couldn't care less about anyone in it. the only part i remember liking is when his wife describes how she was a movie star in his movies. this past years obsession with the turn of the century and early movies was totally boring to me. it seems like all of this north american country called america is obsessed with it's own old age and failures. would i have felt different if i saw this movie in 3d in the movie theatre? probably not. i honestly feel that the only reason this movie was nominated for Best Picture and The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo wasn't is because Martin Scorsese is old and maybe will die soon, and the industry feels like such a shithead for ignoring him when he made good, powerful, relevant films in the 1970s.

2/5

^Yeah me and my mate were a bit bored by this as well.

We were expecting this film to go somewhere very special but instead of getting a world full of mystery & intrigue we just got a bit of a boring history lesson instead.

We got a little bit excited when the boy started to turn into this machine made of mechanical parts but it turned out that was just a dream.

Yeah, I was kinda underwhelmed by it too. The visual effects and directing were all top-notch, but the script was pretty bland. I get that it's a kids movie, and Scorcese did the best he could, but it still came out sappy and dull in many places. This is what happens when you give a great director a boring story.

i dunno, maybe the film "spoke to me" since i recall having heaps of adventurous dreams of climbing through the walls and undergound interconnecting tunnels of large historical buildings much alike where the kid lives in this film. made me think such dreams are common.

I thought there would be more of an adventurous element to the movie, but the "climbing around behind the walls" was more for practical purposes than it was for adventuring.

yeah true. stil, i felt a childish awe at the whole set up.

Right, and I think that was exactly what Scorcese was going for. It's not a bad movie, the story was just a little flat.

then again, no filmmaker can make me feel five again like miyazaki.

i know what you mean, grungy :)

It was one of the best if not the best film of the year, truly great stuff in my humble opinion.

I read a comment on RottenTomatoes that almost summed up how I felt:
the movie is still just a protracted, boring tribute to a jerk who got mad when people quit watching his films. Whoop-de-doo.
I just couldn't care about the characters. All of the drama felt so contrived. Also, flaring nostrils.

jeebus, damo i thought you (of all people ) would appreciate the age of innocence this story appeals to. :(

hahah well, I'm very glad you enjoyed it. :D I don't know that it does a good job of appealing to that age though. We'd have to get some kids opinions I guess. It really seems like a love it or hate it kinda movie though from what I've read.

i didn't absolutely love it, by any means, but i think it's funny that it's a (magical) movie about how movies have lost their magic to a cynical audience, and the general reaction is cynicism.

It feels like a kids movie, but the story would bore most kids to tears. What kid gives a shit about some old dude's movies? If I were a kid (and if I didn't torrent it), I would demand my money back. WHERE ARE THE FUCKING DRAGONS AND WIZARDS AND EXPLOSIONS AND SHIT, SCORCESE????

fair enough. i'm switching ;)

vampirs and explosions or gtfo! :D

hahah well, I'm very glad you enjoyed it. :D I don't know that it does a good job of appealing to that age though. We'd have to get some kids opinions I guess. It really seems like a love it or hate it kinda movie though from what I've read.

it was suggested to us by a couple who took their 4 month old to see it. they really enjoyed it. saying something?

saying something?
haha I can't be sure. I know the kid isn't though. ;) I'd take my 3 year old for science if it weren't so expensive. I know she would not sit through that if it were on our TV though.

a 4 month old in a cinema is potentially harmful. bit loud an environment, regardless of what is on. i hope they used ear protection.