• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Huge Drug Bust Reveals New Drug-Dealer Tactic

It doesn't matter how well a dog's sense of smell is. A vacuum sealed plastic bag will not let any particles in and out of it, and smells require physical particles to travel through the air to the nose doing the smelling.

BigCat007 said:
The question is if the liquid is actually safe or not.. at least that's the first question that popped into my mind.
Mine too.

The second question was whether the weed itself had been soaked in this liquid, or whether only the package had been covered in it.

Even if it was the latter, you just know it won't be long before some dimwitted, small-time dealer starts soaking his weed in this shit... thinking he's a genius.

well at least it was only mexi-shwag lol

Mexican pot smugglers have been experimenting with this foru a while i guess. Back in march there was something about clorine wrapped pot in the DEA microgram

BULK MARIJUANA IN HAZARDOUS PACKAGING IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

The Illinois State Police Forensic Science Center at Chicago recently received five large, plastic-wrapped bundles of plant material, suspected marijuana. The exhibits were randomly selected from a total of 395 such bundles that had been seized by the Chicago Police from a hidden compartment in a tractor trailer arriving in Chicago from St. Louis. The packaging appeared to be routine, and consistent with similar, previously encountered bundles (see Photo 1). However, upon opening the first bundle, a white powdery substance was found between layers of the plastic wrapping, and as the plastic was folded back to remove the plant material, a liquid substance dripped from the packaging and onto the powder, resulting in an effervescent reaction that produced a gas with a chlorine type odor.[!!] The evidence was transferred to a ventilated area for further investigation, where careful dissection revealed the following (outside to inside): Plastic wrap; white powder; plastic wrap; sticky, yellow to brown liquid; plastic wrap; white powder; plastic wrap; plant material (see Photo 2). The liquid had a pH of around 2 (not further identified). Analysis of the powder with FTIR and GC/MS indicated a chlorinated compound (not further identified). Analysis of the plant material (total gross mass (including packaging) approximately two tons) by microscopy and Duquenois-Levine confirmed marijuana. Due to the hazardous nature of the sample, it was immediately destroyed under court order. Investigative intelligence suggested that the shipment originated in Mexico. This was the laboratory’s first encounter with hazardous packaging of this nature.

Editor’s Notes: The white powder was suspected to be a pool chlorinating compound. It is unknown whether this packaging was intended to harm, or rather was to eliminate odors (thereby reducing the possibility of detection by canines or trained law enforcement personnel).

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/mg1105/mg1105.html

Image:
attachment.php

Image:
attachment.php

Cannabis Discussion thread: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=244323

Last edited:
Coolio said:
It doesn't matter how well a dog's sense of smell is. A vacuum sealed plastic bag will not let any particles in and out of it, and smells require physical particles to travel through the air to the nose doing the smelling.

Irrespective of whether the seal is absolutely perfect or not, plastics used in bags are permeable to many organic compounds. A physical chemist could describe the details much better than I, but the net result is that plastic bags "breathe" a certain amount of certain molecules that are contained therein.

This permeability varies based on the type (and thickness) of the bags in question, but I don't know that any bag of a reasonable thickness is 100% impermeable. Vacuum sealing, thus, does a good job of cutting down on the smell of stuff but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Beyond permeability, the biggest mistake folks make when sealing packages is handling the outside of the package with hands or other objects that are contaminated with the substance. Even washing the bag won't remove those contaminants entirely, so they are easy for a canine to smell no matter the stuff sealed inside.

To me, it's always surprising how little folks appreciate the canine nose. We, as humans, basically "think with our eyes" (see Crick's The Astonishing Hypothesis), neurologically speaking. Our canine friends think with their noses - the world is a world of smells to them. In comparison, our human noses are essentially vestigial organs - still marginally functional, but nothing like the fully-functioning canine nose. I've seen all sorts of hare-brained stunts to try to get around drug-sniffing dogs, and 99% of them are pointless. In particular, masking agents to "cover up" drug smells are all but hopeless - think of it as trying to "cover up" a bright pinprick of light in a dark room by shining some other-colored lights into the room. . . it's not going to work, it'll just result in a few different smells that, to a dog, are easy to decouple.

As to the comment above about a compound that will "prevent dogs from smellin female dogs letting off heat," no such thing exists (by the way, female canine are "in heat" when they are cycling, i.e. in estrous. . . they don't "let off heat"). Anyone with experience handling stud dogs in a breeding program well knows that no masking agent on Earth will block his ability to smell a bitch in season, period. Now, there are compounds that mimic the smell of bitches in estrous (including coyote urine) and I've had folks ask if they could be used to foil drug dogs. My answer (without testing, mind you) is nope: first, not all drug dogs are males - and those that are generally are castrated; second, even non-castrated males are easily trained to ignore a bitch in heat while doing a job (perhaps not perfectly, but well enough to be effective - boys can be professionals when the need arises); third, this is just a form of "masking agent" that is designed to confuse or distract the dog - it doesn't do anything to prevent him/her from smelling the drug-related compounds in the first place.

I know someone who regularly brought two of his non-castrated males with him on smuggling runs, with the knowledge that a positive indication from a sniffing dog could be questioned on the basis of having two other canines in the vehicle - I don't know that legal theory has been tested in court, but it's better than nothing. The person in question eventually got caught, but he negotiated a very good plea deal. . . perhaps some of that negotiation was based on the presence of his two boys?

There's talk of using sneezing powder to hold off sniffing dogs. . . I think it'd work, but the sneezing would be suspicious enough by itself and one might pull a new charge if they LEOs got mad. The powder isn't dangerous (to dogs or people), but one never knows - plus the whole "scary white powder" issue would likely pull a massive terrorism response. . . not ideal.

I do know of some compounds that actually work to completely thwart sniffing dogs - they are still deep in the research field, and I'm not even going to mention the academic area in this post. I've not bothered to get ahold of them, as I'm out of the game nowadays, but if I were still running dirty I'd certainly be looking into them. Only someone with a lifetime's fluency in veterinary topics would be barking up the right tree in finding these compounds, however, which means not many wholesale narcotics couriers are going to fit the bill.=D

Peace,

Fausty

ps: the sad fact is that drug dogs are really trained to indicate on command as much as they are trained to find drugs. Even a dog-ignorant fool can get a dog to wag his/her tail by talking excitedly and tapping in one place. . . they whole thing has turned into a farce meant only to evade Constitutional protections against unreasonable searches.

The problem with sealing weed is, that even molecules in the air will conterminate the wrapping; even after cleaning it. And the dog will smell it.

I always liked the guys dipping their weed in wax. How retarded.

I remember the first time I ever got a big nug covered in wax. the guy wanted 50 bucks for it. Said it was "super dank" and smoked great.

I passed. I told him if I wanted my smokables covered in a hard, nearly impossible to remove substance, I'd shit on them.

Ham-milton said:
I always liked the guys dipping their weed in wax. How retarded.

I remember the first time I ever got a big nug covered in wax. the guy wanted 50 bucks for it. Said it was "super dank" and smoked great.

I passed. I told him if I wanted my smokables covered in a hard, nearly impossible to remove substance, I'd shit on them.

Mmm but i wonder what effect dipping a vaccum sealed pound in wax would have.

More so if you could mix a smell which would interfere with a dogs nose whislt the wax is heated (question is what do dogs really not like to smell)

Nwalmaer said:
Mmm but i wonder what effect dipping a vaccum sealed pound in wax would have.

More so if you could mix a smell which would interfere with a dogs nose whislt the wax is heated (question is what do dogs really not like to smell)

Dogs pretty much like smelling everything, just like humans pretty much like looking at everything - they think with their noses, we with our eyes. Trying to disencourage a dog from smelling something would be like putting a big sign up telling humans "DON'T LOOK HERE!" Guess what happens next. . .

Peace,

Fausty