Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

HPPD

Ever have HPPD?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I have HPPD i first got it when i was tripping once to twice a week with heavy use of LSD and cannabis. My hppd consists on a daily basis of visual snow over all my vision walls and carpet 24/7 breathing Geometric patterns on blank large surfaces like carpet or walls. At night my vision is just blinded by multicoloured fractals. It gets worse and more intense if im stressed Letters on the screen or reading books will breathe and sometimes dance around. My headspace can sometimes feel very detatched. All i can say its my best days feel like im on a permanent 150 ug acid trip my hppd will be stronger if i have tripped recently. When i spent a while without taking psychedelics it did fade in intensity but did not completly go away and soon as i tripped again it was back in full strength. I have lived with my hppd at this intensity for 5 years. If i were to pinpoint to a trip i would say 1500 ug of LSD somewhat did it and made it alot stronger than the basic visual snow it once was. This use to impact my life negatively and would cause alot of anxiety. If i smoke weed i will be in a heavy psychedelic trip for 2-3 hours. If i drink alcohol i will also be tripping in some sort of strange psychedelic drunk buzz with very apparent OEVS and strong CEVS. If i drink caffiene it makes it worse aswell. So i cut smoking weed drinking alochol and drinking caffiene out of my life and stopped smoking ciggerettes.

I know i will never return to what was once my sober state but i practice mediation every day (self-inquiry) and started reading alot of books over the years on different topics (tim leary, stanislov grof, hinidiusm, carl jung, I am that)

Meditation saved me and grounds myself in the true self and i now just focus my new found reality into trying to achieve enlightment one day while using psychedelics as tool to explore the multiverse instead of letting this hppd hinder my life i welcome in open arms knowing i have ascended my consciouness to another plane of reality above the physical realm i am in a state where i experince the subtle timespace dimesions of the multiverse 24/7. The day i manage to stay in a complete non dual state and never have to come back to duality is my ultimate goal.

Depends where we draw the line. Some effects of DPH never went away (I get easily delirious when sleep-deprived), and my moods don't get much more extreme than antsy anhedonia anymore since dissociatives. One could argue that's a persistent effect of this class of hallucinogens, and therefore Hallucinogen Persistence in Perception, though not much of a Disorder.

And that's the catch with all psychological disorders, by the way. The fine print in the DSM unambiguously states that for any of it to apply there needs to be harm involved. If your culture can't point to clear evidence of harm towards others, then you reserve the human right to disclaim pathology through simply not identifying with the labels on offer. That's psychology's saving grace, otherwise it would be some sort of scam shilling shaky statistics as (soft /s) science.

When I was young I thought the concept of an "acid flashback" was at the very least a misleading way to describe things like residual hallucinations or other relatively negligible side effects, I could deal with those. But having a proper "flashback" out of my control definitely taught me otherwise.

I took 6-8ish LSD trips when I was 16-17, I don't remember ever taking any more than two tabs though, not a ton of cumulative exposure but I suppose I was young with a developing brain. I was smoking a bowl one day with the dudebros while picking up weed and it wasn't until well after we finished smoking that I felt it happen: I was sinking, sinking deep. The big screen TV rose higher and higher along with the walls, and I felt like it would continue until I couldn't look any further up. I felt like I was tripping too, body high like the first "oh I'm starting to FEEL it" moment I knew and loved. It only lasted a few seconds and I was pretty startled having felt it so strongly and so suddenly.

A few months or so after that I was smoking riverside when I looked at a lone flower nearby and felt it happen again. No intense perception games this time, but the body high was unmistakable, albeit not as strong as it was last time. Only happened for a few seconds again.

I stopped taking psychedelics for quite a number of years after that, even though it seemed to be very much tied to smoking/other psychoactive substance use, it just made me feel uncomfortable to know that I could "flashback" while driving or doing something similarly dangerous.

Pretty much everybody I've ever talked to about their HPPD has been just about residual visuals and I feel kind of pissed off that I ended up with that bullshit, it was a big part of the reason why I avoided taking psychs again for so long, at least LSD in particular.

Considering I have a relatively clean slate of a body chemistry to toy with these days, I've been thinking about continuing to stay away from LSD while I keep taking other psychedelics. But goddamn if I haven't been aching for my childhood love.

I don't consider it a disorder. Just beautiful visuals, everywhere, on static/plain/background surfaces. Does not interfere with day to day activity.

Yes I have PTSD, flashbacks, nightmares, mental disorders and shit. Mind is not well. Psychedelics were not the cause of any PTSD or the related trauma.

When I was young I thought the concept of an "acid flashback" was at the very least a misleading way to describe things like residual hallucinations or other relatively negligible side effects, I could deal with those. But having a proper "flashback" out of my control definitely taught me otherwise.

I took 6-8ish LSD trips when I was 16-17, I don't remember ever taking any more than two tabs though, not a ton of cumulative exposure but I suppose I was young with a developing brain. I was smoking a bowl one day with the dudebros while picking up weed and it wasn't until well after we finished smoking that I felt it happen: I was sinking, sinking deep. The big screen TV rose higher and higher along with the walls, and I felt like it would continue until I couldn't look any further up. I felt like I was tripping too, body high like the first "oh I'm starting to FEEL it" moment I knew and loved. It only lasted a few seconds and I was pretty startled having felt it so strongly and so suddenly.

A few months or so after that I was smoking riverside when I looked at a lone flower nearby and felt it happen again. No intense perception games this time, but the body high was unmistakable, albeit not as strong as it was last time. Only happened for a few seconds again.

I stopped taking psychedelics for quite a number of years after that, even though it seemed to be very much tied to smoking/other psychoactive substance use, it just made me feel uncomfortable to know that I could "flashback" while driving or doing something similarly dangerous.

Pretty much everybody I've ever talked to about their HPPD has been just about residual visuals and I feel kind of pissed off that I ended up with that bullshit, it was a big part of the reason why I avoided taking psychs again for so long, at least LSD in particular.

Considering I have a relatively clean slate of a body chemistry to toy with these days, I've been thinking about continuing to stay away from LSD while I keep taking other psychedelics. But goddamn if I haven't been aching for my childhood love.
I still remember the first time i trigged a psychedelic with weed once LSD had opened my mind it was a almost full blown psychotic break i was convinced i was tripping still on lsd from my first trip that the months leading up to it had been one mega hallucination and every so often i wake up to this illusion i was full blown tripping it started after i had smoked a few cones out of the bong suddenly time felt off the minute wasen't moving and i started to panic it felt like LSD thats when reality full on in the center of my vision just ripped apart completely and i was thrust through this psychedelic wormhole back into my full blown trip i was utterly convinced for a few hours that LSD never wears off and i will be stuck in this one mega acid trip for my entire life and that everything i had experienced in life was fake. After that episode i stopped using weed for 8 months til i ended up taking another LSD trip and came full circle and got more grounded in reality.

To this day i can smoke myself into a strong psychedelic trip with weed that is even more intense to handle than the medium LSD trip.

@PYTH
That's funny. Messing with deliriants has had Boeing airplanes peripherally sneaking up on on me at local street corners.

Wouldn't have thought that's something equally accessible through your recipe.

Yuppers. Polar opposite effect on the same, rather specific, visual variable.

I don't quite see yet how this pieces everything together, but I bet it's an important puzzle piece for understanding consciousness in terms of chemistry.

Yes, I have...

It really sucked at first but then I guess as it faded away after a few months... I started to miss it. It was weird.