View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hppd after first time use of lsd

Chente455

Greenlighter
Hey all about two months ago i took my first tab of acid or what i think it was because the other guy who took it with me got no weird effects. overall nice trip yet kind of went down after the last couple of hours. I smoked weed the next day and then some weird stuff started happening. I started feeling weird as hell. I developed crazy panic attacks and derealization for three weeks. Now no more panic attacks or derealization stuff. i don't have full on visuals like my visuals are minor like i can see text moving sometimes in my computer very minor and a little bit light sensitive so the visual part i could care less about. The thing that is getting to me is my head feels weird as hell like pressure sometimes and my ears sometimes full and hurt sometimes. Also i get weird muscle feelings sometimes like shocks of energy or twitches hard to describe. It seems like my brain is over excited causing my head to hurt sometimes in different places. Maybe i am just one unlucky bastard but people have told me these are symptoms of hppd but man anyone had similar symptoms? I am really worried i fried my brain permanently.

It sounds like a possible case of hppd or possibly an anxiety condition that was triggered by the psychedelics. Many people have bad reactions to weed mixed with other psychs, your situation is not too uncommon.

I can promise you that you haven't fried your brain, psychedelics can cause a very strong shift in consciousness that can stick with someone for a long time. If you stay clean off weed and all other psychs you should return to a better state of mind.

You haven't caused any damage to your brain but you may have changed your neurochemistry enough to cause this depressed state. This doesn't mean your brain is damaged it just needs time to return to homeostasis.

Bear in mind that you have to have specific symptoms that must occur for a period of time in order to have a HPPD diagnosis. From the information you have provided, I am not sure it sounds like HPPD.

Diagnostic criteria for Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder

The re-experiencing, following cessation of use of a hallucinogen, of one or more of the perceptual symptoms that were experienced while intoxicated with the hallucinogen (e.g., geometric hallucinations, false perceptions of movement in the peripheral visual fields, flashes of colors, intensified colors, trails of images of moving objects, positive afterimages, halos around objects, macropsia, and micropsia.

The symptoms in Criterion A cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

The symptoms are not due to a general medical condition (e.g., anatomical lesions and infections of the brain, visual epilepsies) and are not better accounted for another mental disorder (e.g., delirium, dementia, Schizophrenia) or hypnopompic hallucinations.

As with anything, time and more data can change what qualifies as a diagnosis. I thought 10 years ago one of the criteria was that the symptoms had to occur for 6 months....perhaps they have changed that as I do not see it listed anymore.

Also for what it is worth, pot has psychedelic effects although some people are less prone to noticing them....on the other hand many people report that pot is more psychedelic for them in nature after an experience with LSD or another psychedelic. Perhaps LSD trains the brain to be psychedelic...and cannabis use after LSD may allow a user to experience the more subtle psychedelic aspects to pot, aspects they did not notice before LSD use.

I have to say, and I say with a lot of gratitude, ever since my first acid trip in 1978 I forever see those swirling patterns on walls and things. Especially after cannabis. But I love it. 40 years of seeing patterns. :) I wouldn't trade it for the world. The analogy I like to use is once a person sees the constellations they never JUST see stars again. I live it. And again, I love it.

Now HPPD was not a term years ago. I read peoples account of it here and I wonder what the worst case scenario would be. In my opinion I see people needlessly worry or try to find things to worry about and HPPD is one of those things that people can worry about. The definition above seems gruesome. Now those type effects could be worrisome. But I would be willing to bet over half the people here that worry about HPPD really don't have it. I only read one or two stories that sounded like genuine HPPD. But again, when I grew up terms like HPPD and PAWS were not around and I am glad, because maybe I would have worried about it. :)

Last edited: