• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How would you fight terrorism?

Deepsea

Bluelighter
Other than the current ways that have proven somewhat effective, what ideas could you guys share to the same effect.

Well, first we'd need a working UN, then we can talk. It would begin with installing mandatory education systems everywhere in the world.

Bombs. Lots of them. And very very big ones. then i would actually allow my military to fight the war the way they deemed appropriate.

Terrorism will only be defeated when the people in the terrorists' own communities and countries decide that they do not approve of it. It must be dismantled from within, like it was in Ireland. In order to get communities to disapprove of terror, unpopular and hurtful policies need to be struck down and changed.

Banquo said:
Terrorism will only be defeated when the people in the terrorists' own communities and countries decide that they do not approve of it. It must be dismantled from within, like it was in Ireland. In order to get communities to disapprove of terror, unpopular and hurtful policies need to be struck down and changed.

spot on post

Work to eliminate poverty and illiteracy. I think its the only way to trully stop the cycle of hatred.

Let foreign countries handle their own problems and the return to a more isolationist approach. Rescind all free trade agreements...

While I don't think this is the only way to defeat terrorism, good post. I think it plays a large factor. Muslim clerics have publicly shown disdain for the terrorist movement; they are either not strong enough in their actions or not getting enough coverage.

I just spoke with someone against the war. One of those "Why didn't we go into Africa instead or 10 years earlier instead" people, which really isn't against the war in my view. But anyways, he mentioned that containment would have been better than war, as Colin Powell presented and challenged Bush in front of the UN about. Thoughts on containment of Iraq versus the War in Iraq?

I could buy it.

CreativeRandom said:
Muslim clerics have publicly shown disdain for the terrorist movement; they are either not strong enough in their actions or not getting enough coverage.
Would you say that most clerics and religious leaders in a country like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia have condemed terrorism and the use of violence? I don't think they have. There also is, of course, the education system in these countries to consider, where religious schools exert a substantial influence on impoverished populations, since they provide the only places where poor young men may recieve schooling.

These considerations, however, are meaningless unless considered in conjunction with government policy from which, in my opinion, much of the hate stems.

Commanding General said:
Bombs. Lots of them. And very very big ones. then i would actually allow my military to fight the war the way they deemed appropriate.

Great plan "general" you're quite the "tactician" (snicker), are you really a general? 'Cause if you were that would be really "neat". Please, I'd really like you to expand on how you would use these"very very big bombs" to fight the terrorists? I'd like to know EXACTLY how you'd use them? WHERE you'd use them and what tactics you'd employ to gain success? Just dying to know...

Deepsea said:
Other than the current ways that have proven somewhat effective ...
How have they been proven somewhat effective? I've only seen an increase in terrorism lately...

It's simple: don't meddle in other countries' internal affairs, especially not militarily! Lead by example, not impose by force, period!

Stop fucking with other country's political systems (that is: usurping "undesireable" leaders &/or financing/assisting others).

and

Stop retaliating to the terrorist attacks.

...oh and stop stealing resources.

Let foreign countries handle their own problems and the return to a more isolationist approach
i hope the question was meant in a wider sense than "how would we, americans, fight terrorism, on our ground, that was caused by our intervention in other countries?"

that would be forgetting most acts of terrorism in the world
and terrorism is certainly not only an international problem
you've suffered from terrorism from americans too

there's not one unique way to fight terrorism
different means will be more or less efficient depending if you're dealing with religious fanatics, separatists, etc. and of their specific motivations

on a side note, the problem today is not that the usa meddles in other countries' internal affairs, but that it does it in its own interest rather than in that of the local population