• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How Wisdom Teeth Are Fueling the Opioid Epidemic.

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
OK so this theory is a bit of propaganda but maybe there is some truth to it?

I first used opiates when they were prescribed to me after I had my severely impacted wisdom teeth taken out, and I was prescribed vicodin. I did chip or use them recreationaly on and off for about 2-3 years and I am very lucky I never became addicted to them even though I would take low or moderate doses of oxycodone and codeine.

But I believe I would have used them anyway even if I hypothetically never needed to have my wisdom teeth removed, and was never prescribed them. In the late 1990s and early 2000s they were extremely popular in the United States, and even people I went to highschool, university, and who I worked with who were not even into smoking pot or using other drugs used them to get high on.

I have not used any opiates in well over a decade and I was very lucky I never became addicted to them; but if I had unlimited access to them and did not realize that I had to stop using them I would have became addicted.

What are your thoughts about this?

Melissa Pandika said:
The opioid epidemic continues to devastate the United States. In 2015, opioids killed a record 33,000 people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About half of those deaths involved a prescription opioid. Now, a new study drills down to one source of these drugs: wisdom-tooth extractions.

More than half of the opioid painkillers prescribed to patients after wisdom tooth removal surgery in a recent Drug and Alcohol Dependence study went unused. If those numbers were to play out for all practicing oral surgeons, that would translate to a startling annual figure:

100 million opioid pills, prescribed for wisdom-tooth extractions, go unused.
Which means they’re available for misuse and abuse by patients, their loved ones or others. But the study also found that offering information about a pharmacy-based drug-disposal program, plus a financial incentive, made patients more likely to properly dispose of their unused medication, or at least plan to do so.

Many patients keep unused opioids “for a rainy day,” explains study co-author Elliot Hersh of the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Dental Medicine. “They think they’re going to have pain again … or a family member is going to need them.” Diverting drugs in this way can lead to misuse (and is also illegal, by the way). To stem the supply of unused opioids, the DEA has hosted occasional drug take-back days at sites across the country. The rest of the time, patients need to trek to their local law enforcement drug-disposal box.

To investigate whether a pharmacy-based program and financial incentive would make patients more willing to dispose of unused opioids, Hersh and his team studied 72 patients who had filled opioid painkiller prescriptions after impacted wisdom-tooth removal surgery. The patients were randomly assigned to two groups. The control group received an instruction sheet listing side effects, the risks of keeping unused opioids and a drug-disposal information hotline. In addition to these instructions, the intervention group received information about a pharmacy-based buyback program — about 20 cents of store credit in exchange for each pill. Throughout the three-week study period, all patients responded to questions via text message about their pain, and the number of opioid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) they had taken in the past 24 hours.

The 67 patients who didn’t experience complications received an average of 28 opioid-containing pills — with 15 left over, for a total of 1,010 leftover pills. Sure enough, one day post-surgery, they reported a pain score of just 5 out of 10, on average, while taking painkillers. By the second day, more than half of the patients reported a low pain score (0 to 3) and by the fifth day, nearly 80 percent did. (These scores were recorded while many of the patients were still on pain meds on the second, third and fourth day after surgery.) But offering information about a pharmacy-based disposal program and in-store credit boosted the proportion of patients who reported disposing of their unused drugs, or planned to do so, by around 30 to 52 percent.

To be sure, the increase wasn’t statistically significant, owing to the small sample size. And even with the financial incentive, half of the intervention group members still kept their unused meds. “Many might not care about the [financial] incentive, and it may not be enough,” says Terri Voepel-Lewis of the University of Michigan Health System. Plus, once they called the pharmacy-based disposal program information hotline, they were informed that no such programs existed in their neighborhood yet, so the researchers had to rely only on patients’ reports that they had disposed of the drugs, or intended to do so. But “we don’t know if they followed through on actual disposal.” Hersh also notes that the study looked at the prescribing habits of mainly three oral surgeons.

Still, the study highlights the need for policymakers to broaden the availability of drug-disposal sites at pharmacies and other places people routinely visit, possibly also with small financial incentives. Doctors, meanwhile, “have a moral responsibility” to educate their patients about the dangers of prescription opioids, Hersh says. His group’s findings also suggest they should prescribe NSAIDs alone or NSAIDs plus Tylenol to start out, and opioids only for severe cases — and in limited amounts. Doctors often prescribe more than patients typically need to hedge for the possibility that they do end up experiencing complications and request more later.

Patients, in turn, can request the smallest dose necessary, or ask about non-opioid alternatives. (Congress recently folded a provision into the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act that allows for partial filling of opioid prescriptions.) Those with leftovers can use the DEA’s online tool to locate nearby authorized collectors.

Although prescription opioids have largely fueled the epidemic, “we’re going to keep prescribing these drugs because people will need them,” Voepel-Lewis says. “We have a long way to go. There’s a lot of health illiteracy. We need to give people information at a level they can understand.”

Full article link: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...ing-the-opioid-epidemic/ar-AAlVRwH?li=BBnb7Kz

Holy shit we have officially hit the mass panic point of the opiate scare. Yes 10 5/500 hydro is guarantred to turn your kid into a heroin addict

I was watching playoff football tonight and one of the commercials was for a medication to relieve constipation for people addicted to opioids.

I imagine it cost a lot of $ for that slot of advertising and it made me realize even more, there is definitely an opioid epidemic. Not a commercial for opioids, not for getting off opioids, but a medication to help relieve the symptoms of already being on opioids.

The commercial was a bunch of normal looking middle aged guys working at a construction site.

I call bullshit. Most people seem to point to a sports or car injury as their first real interaction, especially sports for young people. Like cj said, you just don't get enough pills for a wisdom teeth extraction. I got like 10 DARVOCET for fucks sake, those things were nothing. And I had like 2 leftover, cause getting your wisdom teeth out actually kinda hurts.

so the author prooposes to let everyone suffer bc some ppl cant keep thier shit together?

In germany most one would get for wisedom teeth is Metamizol. No Chance for getting opioids.
Think its good. As otherwise a lot of young people may got a taste for opioids, because of some leftovers.

Holy shit we have officially hit the mass panic point of the opiate scare. Yes 10 5/500 hydro is guarantred to turn your kid into a heroin addict

I received a lot more than 10 hydrocodone but my wisdom teeth were severely impacted, and some of the worst the dental surgeon had seen.

I really enjoyed the med grade nitrous I was given during the surgery and I just remember laughing a lot and not even feeling the IV of valium that they gave me which is good since I really do not like needles or how they feel.

But in my original post the majority of people I knew in HS and college who would take opiates even those who were not into other drugs would steal them from their parents, get them prescribed from some shady doctor, or buy them.

I also have seen commercials on TV for people who are constipated from taking too many opiates.

My wisdom teeth were impacted, too and the oral surgeon went with twilight sleep. I don't remember how many Percodan I got because it was 1985 but I did have some pills leftover. I think this article is another scare-mongering attempt. They studied 72 patients so that estimate of 100 million unused opiate pills is just that, an estimate. Come on, man. Some people don't get more than Motrin.

I was watching playoff football tonight and one of the commercials was for a medication to relieve constipation for people addicted to opioids.

I imagine it cost a lot of $ for that slot of advertising and it made me realize even more, there is definitely an opioid epidemic. Not a commercial for opioids, not for getting off opioids, but a medication to help relieve the symptoms of already being on opioids.

The commercial was a bunch of normal looking middle aged guys working at a construction site.

I see that commercial always lol

so the author prooposes to let everyone suffer bc some ppl cant keep thier shit together?

That's exactly what some of these idiots propose.

Stuff like this is propaganda that furthers an agenda. It shouldn't be looked upon as "oh gee we're just asking the question!", no, this shit is the conscious furthering of an agenda, which is limiting the amount of medication patients can receive (medication which most of these patients genuinely need)

I received a lot more than 10 hydrocodone but my wisdom teeth were severely impacted, and some of the worst the dental surgeon had seen.

I really enjoyed the med grade nitrous I was given during the surgery and I just remember laughing a lot and not even feeling the IV of valium that they gave me which is good since I really do not like needles or how they feel.

But in my original post the majority of people I knew in HS and college who would take opiates even those who were not into other drugs would steal them from their parents, get them prescribed from some shady doctor, or buy them.

I also have seen commercials on TV for people who are constipated from taking too many opiates.

I actually got 20 demeral then a call in script of 30 10mg hydros. but I had 4 impacted. It looked like I get hit by a baseball bat in the face. worst black eye of my life by far. It didn't start my opiate addiction though

That's exactly what some of these idiots propose.

Stuff like this is propaganda that furthers an agenda. It shouldn't be looked upon as "oh gee we're just asking the question!", no, this shit is the conscious furthering of an agenda, which is limiting the amount of medication patients can receive (medication which most of these patients genuinely need)

Agreed. It's very alarming.

Wisdom tooth extraction is major surgery on an very sensitive, densely innervated part of the body. It fucking hurts. I got discharged with panadeine forte (tylenol-3) and it didn't do shit, I was out of my mind with the pain. Fuck people like those with the above agenda, why do they think it's ok to force people to suffer when solutions exist.

Had mine done in 2 procedures, got Vicodin both times and I can honestly say that's what have me the taste...Like on the Simpsons when Barney drinks his first beer....Where youuuu been all my life!

Agreed. It's very alarming.

Wisdom tooth extraction is major surgery on an very sensitive, densely innervated part of the body. It fucking hurts. I got discharged with panadeine forte (tylenol-3) and it didn't do shit, I was out of my mind with the pain. Fuck people like those with the above agenda, why do they think it's ok to force people to suffer when solutions exist.

Thats opposite my experience. I had all 4 removed, two pulled and two cut out of the gum and stitched. I was given nitrous which is good because id never want to be put under for a dental operation. I was scripted 15 percocet 7.5mg and saved them all until i was all healed as there was almost no pain. The worst for me was spitting up blood clots for days, thick gross globs of blood. Yuck!

But each to his own, i personally love dental work and am in dire need of some. I just dont have insurance or id be having teeth drilled and removed right this second.