• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How to taper xanax to avoid withdrawl ?

Aga85

Bluelighter
ve been suffering with anxiety for a while. Currently not taking any ADs for it as they were only making everything worse. Never took benzos every day, just when I needed it. On and off since july. But for the past 7 weeks Ive been on alprazolam 2mg for sleep. Dont have to take it for anxiety, im fine during the day. Usually take it every 40hrs as I work night shifts and need something to help me sleep. Over past week Ive managed to taper it down to 1mg without any problems and only try to take it now when I need to.My plan is to go down to dose of 0.25 and stop taking it all together. Is it the right way to taper it ? Will I still get any withdrawl when I stop taking xanax ? Will my anxiety come back ? What should I take to make it easier.Thank you for any replies

You may experience rebound anxiety when you stop. You should see about getting on a longer acting medication like and SSRI or something along those lines before you're completely off the Xanax so you can kinda have something to fall back on.

As far as jumping off at a point, you should try to get your dose down to as low as possible because the lower mg that you jump off from, the less withdrawal symptoms you will experience.

Decrease to 1mg, for a few days, then 0.5mg for a few days. You shouldn't feel too terrible after just 7 weeks. Some people do though; be careful.

Thank you guys. Will do that. Slowly taper it off. Wish I never laid my eyes on this drug. I hope im gonn be okay considering I dont get any withdrawl when it starts to wear off and im okay during the day. Fingers crossed??