• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

how to talk about science/philosophy

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
instead of derailing another thread, i thought i’d post this in a new thread.

i am amazed at some of the things that get posted in here without evidence, with the posters making no attempt to justify their position when prompted for clarification. i think this is a sad indictment of the level of education in most countries. even if this is a forum for druggies, i seriously think we can do better.

so, here are my notes about how i think science is done and should be discussed, i think they reflect the general consensus, and i am a research scientist so i think i am qualified to make that statement. but, an important part of science is to admit you’re wrong in the light of new evidence or strong arguments.

the burden of proof, in both science and philosophy, is on the person making the outlandish claim. hence, if you make a claim that flies in the face of scientific consensus (and revolutionary ideas WILL do this), you need to back it up with either a mathematical model, or experimental evidence, and ideally both. in philosophy you need to make a precise and well reasoned argument.

‘i think’ or anecdotal evidence is not considered evidence in either philosophy or science. even evidence for a theory, like all swans being white, that appears statistically powerful, like every swan you’ve ever seen being white, may need revising in light of new observations, i.e. a black swan.

the hallmark of a good scientific theory is explanatory and predictive power. so if, for example, you suggest that gravity doesn’t exist, you need to at the very least replicate the predictions that the theory of gravity makes. ideally, your theory should explain something that the theory of gravity cannot explain. philosophical theories should also have explanatory power.

it is important to use very precise language, in fact most of the time, fundamental sciences eschew language due to its inherent imprecision, and use maths. in philosophy, which does use maths in some areas, but mostly natural language, there are endless debates about what terms mean, because until both sides understand what the other means, there is no way to build a theory.

if your theory flies in the face of the consensus, which can be worked out with a simple Google search, then that's a sign that the burden of proof falls to you. in a forum that doesn't mean doing loads of experiments, obviously, but some argument about how your theory replicates accepted findings would show that it is at least coherent.

i’m quite interested to know why these basic points are being ignored in discussions in this forum, as making an outlandish claim without presenting evidence and then not defending it when someone raises a counterargument doesn’t exactly prompt illuminating discussion. if posters aren’t aware of them, i hope this post will be helpful. if they disagree, then i’d like to know why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chinup, this is a very good point. Mainstream science is built upon generations of experiments and evidence. And though of course we are likely wrong about some things, and it is basically certain that we have an incomplete picture at least, if you make a claim that goes totally against it, the burden of proof is indeed on you. So making a claim and then calling others closed-minded when they ask you to present evidence is both unhelpful and totally closes off the route to further discussion. Not only that, but it's a dangerous way to think. That sort of thing, believing in something that you don't understand and refusing evidence to the contrary, is what leads to all sorts of suffering and ignorance in the world. If you hold a position, you should seek to find evidence for that position and be open to changing your mind based on evidence. Now, if you come to us and make an argument for a different position with information or observations that you see as evidence now we can have a conversation, or even if you just want to communicate an idea you had that you haven't found evidence for, and then converse about it, that's totally cool. But if you suggest a position and your evidence is "because I think so and I don't want to hear why you don't believe me", there's nowhere to go with the conversation. And if you then insult others for disagreeing with you, then we suddenly have a problem.

thanks for your reply. its pretty fascinating to me. i don’t understand what the intention is of making such posts and then not responding to questions. do they think we are all stupid enough to believe any old crap? do they actually believe it and if so why aren’t they working away to get it published so they can get their nobel prize? in this case, they should have answers for obvious objections. i can’t work out if such posts are intellectually honest but just misguided, or intellectually dishonest, and if the latter, what the motivations are. hopefully not to bait people who can pick apart what they say cos otherwise i’ve fallen for it!!

yeah if its posed as an idea to explore rather than stated as fact, that opens up discussion.

you're certainly right that this sort of thinking causes a lot of suffering. some arguments contributing to current measles epidemic, people dying of treatable cancer (also relieved of much money by charlatan woo pedlars), global warming due to not wanting nuclear power, people starving due to fear of GMOs, fit along the same lines.

P&S isn't a science sub-forum. It welcomes science, but science isn't a requirement for discussion. Besides the fact that material reductionism and spirituality are separate human schools, not everyone has the learned language to compete scientifically in the marketplace of ideas. It's not just because of anti-intellectualism, but also personal aptitude, or different life paths.

If I waited for science to observe, reproduce and define every unusual phenomenon I've witnessed in my life, I would be long dead and my bones reduced to dust. This logocentric idea that every human experience must be proven according to the hegemonic school of rationality in order to be deemed (by someone, usually the accuser) to be real is the precise reason why anti-intellectualism as a political force is now happening.

Science should stay within its defined testable limits. That is to say, it should stop trying to testify to things that are beyond its abilities to qualify, like ontological claims. Philosophy may contain science but science is not the school of philosophy.

It's funny you mention measles. Are you aware that the CDC safety report on measles is part of the biggest medical fraud in modern history? The evidence has been irrefutably documented. If you watch the documentary "Vaxxed", you will see documents and direct testimony from the Senior Scientist at the CDC that all say the science was deliberately altered. This can't come to light because the Senior Scientist at the CDC can't violate confidentiality law, but Congress won't subpoena him to testify because of corporate backing. Science only works if the human equation is ruthlessly objective in its integrity. Otherwise it becomes just another means to ideologically manipulate people.

i do understand its not a science subform and am specifically referring to the presentation of scientific hypothesis.

i don't actually believe that science can prove everything, i'm studying buddhism and meditate daily as i do believe that there are truths (mostly about psychological experience) that are not amenable to science.

science is what happens when philosophy gets answers to its questions. historically everything that is considered science today started as philosophy. philosophy still requires reasoned presentation of ideas, and does not admit anecdotal evidence (though it can easily be reworded into a thought experiement).

i have watched Vaxxed, because i truly find this fascinating. and lets just say myself and any future offspring i may have will be up to date on their vaccinations. are you referring to this fraud case?

If I waited for science to observe, reproduce and define every unusual phenomenon I've witnessed in my life, I would be long dead and my bones reduced to dust. This logocentric idea that every human experience must be proven according to the hegemonic school of rationality in order to be deemed (by someone, usually the accuser) to be real is the precise reason why anti-intellectualism as a political force is now happening.

Science should stay within its defined testable limits. That is to say, it should stop trying to testify to things that are beyond its abilities to qualify, like ontological claims. Philosophy may contain science but science is not the school of philosophy.

This!!!!
1,000,000 times over & then some more this.

Instead of saying to people Chinup "The grass is green!" why not ask "Who made the grass green?" You follow me here?

not really mate, i've studied philosophy both informally and formally for more than half my life and never come across a who question. plenty of what, how, why. maybe its what i've chosen to study.

for me personally, a) probably no one b) as a creator has deemed not to show himself, and we've spent thousands of years trying to understand god and can't, because its a matter of faith and very personal to believers (and therefore spiritual, not really in the purview of philosophy), its not really an answerable question so not worth me pursuing, i'm not special enough to find out where others have failed c) it doesn't get us anywhere. for me, personally, that makes it less interesting. finding out something other than the obvious created semiconductors isn't going to make a computer evaporate out of thin air.

I'm kind of in the middle. I have had experiences I can't explain away with our current understanding, but I also think it's very easy to fool oneself and it's very easy to come to false beliefs, which is why science is important. It provides a method by which to verify a hypothesis. Our understanding will likely never be perfect, and I highly doubt we'll ever be able to "figure it all out" when it comes to matters of spirituality, what the hell this all really is, and stuff like that. I hold beliefs that are a result of my experience that can't be in any way verified with science (though the more we seem to reveal about the nature of the macro and microscopic universe, the more my beliefs seem plausible). But I'm very wary of all of the pseudoscientific claims people make. For me, I try to maintain a skeptical stance on things that have no evidence, in my own world. That is, if something seems to have happened that is unexplainable, I try to explain it with known things first. Like for example, faulty memory, confirmation bias, etc. I catch myself doing that kind of stuff fairly often. But I'm open to things being possible that we have no understanding of. I mean, we used to "know" that the Earth is flat, then the whole universe rotates around the Earth. Electricity used to be "magic", and if someone from 200 years ago visited our world they'd be astounded by the amount of "magic" we take for granted in our daily lives. In another 100 years, who can even fathom how much more we'll know? Well the reason we can know and harness this "magic" is because of science. But I'm not so arrogant as to believe that just because we can't explain something now, it's not real.

science is what happens when philosophy gets answers to its questions

I disagree. Science can't answer ontological questions. It can't tell me who I am, why I'm here, where my consciousness comes from. Science can only describe a mechanical universe. It's why science and philosophy are separate branches.

empirical science historically developed from philosophy. science branched off in the scientific revolution, when we started widely applying the scientific method.

shadowmeister i completely agree with you. the fact that everything in science is wrong, to some extent, is widely accepted, especially in physics cos our two fundamental theories contradict each other. its called pessimistic meta induction, which in english means 'we've been wrong before, so we're probably wrong now.'

everything in fundamental physics that we try to explain in english is even more wrong, because measurements only give us structure, i.e. relationships between quantities, not ontology (i mean this in the broad philosophical sense of what exists). as soon as we put it into english, we start to name objects, sub-atomic particles, etc, when logically there are an infinite variety of other objects that can generate the same predictions, so our chances of having come up with an interpretation that reflects reality are infinitesimally small.

i don't think we'll ever figure some questions of spirituality out, because they're personal to each individual. i get quite annoyed when people present 'spiritual truths' as facts, with no method to verify them and no indication of how they came to them. i'm reading this book right now to try and help with cptsd, and it talks about how our souls collude with other souls to make life perfect at a spiritual level, so even child abuse, is somehow perfect. i'd be much more open to that concept if the author explained why he thinks this way and what i can do to experience this knowledge myself.

It seems to me that western science isn't even the only science. Humans have always had the power to observe, but different cultures codified this differently. There are plenty of systems out there that can lead you to truths and realizations by following their science which was developed over millennia of empirical observation and repeatability. Yet those sciences do not follow the orthodoxy of material reductionism. Actually, the western branch of science is the only branch in the world that only concerns itself with material phenomena. This has pros and cons. The pros being that its purity makes it capable of great mechanical wonders, which it has created such amazing technology. The cons are that it's incapable of developing or interfacing with methods that try to answer ontological questions. It only cares about the material universe and so that's all it sees.

I believe this is a temporary handicap and one day the different branches will reconverge into one unified "science" capable of exploring any aspect of reality or consciousness.