• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos How to take Xanax without becoming an addict?

jose ribas da silva

Bluelighter
I need to take Xanax for anxiety and I do not want to get addict to it. However, I have a history of addiction, which also includes benzos (oxazepam, cloxazelam). I do not want to lose control again.

I am currently taking 0.5 mg of Xanax (starting today). I am also on desvenlafaxine (100 mg). I want to keep the Xanax dosage as low as possible (always).

Does anyone have any special tips on how to proceed? What should I avoid? I am mainly thinking about how many days should I take it in sequence and how many days it would be good to stop using it.

The best answer is you don’t take Xanax. Not what you want to hear, but with a past addiction to benzos this is dangerous.

That being said, .5 mg a day is not some crazy dose and if you can maintain self control at that dose it won’t be that bad. I would suggest 4 days on 3 off a week, this would be your best bet to avoid dependence.

If you can, leave it as an as needed medication.. but I know how difficult that is. Hope your anxiety gets better I know all about it

four times a week is way too often. take it no more than a few times a month and only when needed. even then — with an addictive personality, a history of benzo abuse, and a xanax script — the odds are tremendously against you.

four times a week is way too often. take it no more than a few times a month and only when needed. even then — with an addictive personality, a history of benzo abuse, and a xanax script — the odds are tremendously against you.

Taking Xanax 4 times a week at .5 mg per day will not cause dependence or addiction, not sure how you figure that’s too much

I'd only take it on a "as needed" basis for example in crisis situations, no more than once or twice a week max. I take Clonazepam 2mg 2-3 times a week max, most weeks I only take it twice a week which so far hasn't produced a physical dependance. The key point when it comes to Benzos is do not take it on a daily basis, and as I said only take it in a crisis situation.

I need to take Xanax for anxiety and I do not want to get addict to it. However, I have a history of addiction, which also includes benzos (oxazepam, cloxazelam). I do not want to lose control again.

I am currently taking 0.5 mg of Xanax (starting today). I am also on desvenlafaxine (100 mg). I want to keep the Xanax dosage as low as possible (always).

Does anyone have any special tips on how to proceed? What should I avoid? I am mainly thinking about how many days should I take it in sequence and how many days it would be good to stop using it.

There is no way to guarantee you won't become an addict.

Taking Xanax 4 times a week at .5 mg per day will not cause dependence or addiction, not sure how you figure that’s too much

I believe It most certainly will! In someone who has previous xanax abuse/addiction issues? the reason that you cant not become addicted is that if that xanax is making you feel alot better on the days you take it, the days you dotn will become harder and harder until your on it daily, then you'll run out early and have 1 week of pure paranoid, anxious and panicky hell before you get your next months script. this is exactly how I got hooked on xanax, and I didnt have precious addiction to benzos. I was taking 2x .25mg twice a week and that progressed into 4mg per day. for years until my doc cut me off due to getting a oxy script from another doc and not informing her><. So unless the xanax doesn't do anything helpful for you when you do take it then chances are eventually you will end up slipping up and it will be easier then for most as you now can convince yourself it's okay because your "allowed to take it 4 days a week" so why not just 5days a week this week , and next week you'll only do 3 days to even things out. But it will never happen and you'll be digging your whole deeper and deeper. If you genuinely need the xanax then you dont have a choice I guess.. just be careful I'm sure you dont want to go back to being addicted to xanax. If you can do what others are saying and use it sparingly I'd suggest no more then once a week meaning 1 dose for panic attack. a longer acting benzos would be betterbdont youbthink? Like maybe clonaz

I believe It most certainly will! In someone who has previous xanax abuse/addiction issues? the reason that you cant not become addicted is that if that xanax is making you feel alot better on the days you take it, the days you dotn will become harder and harder until your on it daily, then you'll run out early and have 1 week of pure paranoid, anxious and panicky hell before you get your next months script. this is exactly how I got hooked on xanax, and I didnt have precious addiction to benzos. I was taking 2x .25mg twice a week and that progressed into 4mg per day. for years until my doc cut me off due to getting a oxy script from another doc and not informing her><. So unless the xanax doesn't do anything helpful for you when you do take it then chances are eventually you will end up slipping up and it will be easier then for most as you now can convince yourself it's okay because your "allowed to take it 4 days a week" so why not just 5days a week this week , and next week you'll only do 3 days to even things out. But it will never happen and you'll be digging your whole deeper and deeper. If you genuinely need the xanax then you dont have a choice I guess.. just be careful I'm sure you dont want to go back to being addicted to xanax. If you can do what others are saying and use it sparingly I'd suggest no more then once a week meaning 1 dose for panic attack. a longer acting benzos would be betterbdont youbthink? Like maybe clonaz

That’s a very good point actually. If we’re being realistic that’s most likely what would happen to anyone, in my experience consistent benzo use just causes worse rebound anxiety, causing you to take more and more

I guess in a perfect world 4 days of .5 mg would be okay, but you’re completely right how annoying the mental game is of how you would have better days on the days you took it and hate life on the days you didn’t.. even if the pill wasn’t even doing that much, that’s just how our brains work and I know for a fact the same would happen to me

This is exactly what happened to me in the past and what I'm trying to avoid now. I really need to take it, at least at this point of my life. If I am not on benzos, even being on desvenlafaxine, I cannot put my life on the rails again (what is mandatory for my long-term recovery from other addictions).

I am afraid of taking it daily because I know that I will probably be taking it in increasing doses. The last time I took it, the days off were a hell, a lot of anxiety all the time, social phobia, very low productivity, tons of weed. But the circumstances of my life were different from what they are nowadays.

The difference is that now I am truly engaged in making things work. Let's see what happens.

You run the risk of addiction with every substance. Keep in mind though that it isn't just the substance that creates addicts, it's the environment as well your genetic predisposition, which, from the story of your prior addictions shows you have addictive traits. I would be cautious

Ask your doctor to have you on Xanax Sustained Release or Xanax XR.
Xanax XR is LESS addictive as well because it maintains the same level dose throughout the day and it comes out from your system slowly. So this is why it is less addictive. Been taking these for years at constant recommended dose and does not make me feel like a zombie and I feel less groggy from these.

Ask your doctor to have you on Xanax Sustained Release or Xanax XR.
Xanax XR is LESS addictive as well because it maintains the same level dose throughout the day and it comes out from your system slowly. So this is why it is less addictive. Been taking these for years at constant recommended dose and does not make me feel like a zombie and I feel less groggy from these.

That's nice, thanks

I too had a massive benzo tolerance 3 years ago that resulted in me having 3 grand mal seizures and a couple trips to the er.

I have PTSD, anxiety, and panic disorder from some tragic events in my life that I won't get into. My point is, after I went through withdrawals and everything which was horrible I now take either valium, klonopin, or xanax 2 days or max 3 days a week, and have maintained the same dose, and haven't experienced any withdrawals, so it can be done. I was taking 8-10 mg xanax at the peak of my addiction btw.

I dont know the severity of your anxiety or whatever, but it can be taken responsibly.

Good luck to you.

I just take large doses every few months for like max 2 days and then rest for a few months and im fine without getting addicted.

I'd say a minimum break if you don't really want to become dependant on it is a few weeks 2/3 or 1 if you're feeling lucky. Just don't have it too much

Basically as long as you dont use em everyday all day and maintain control of your consumption, youre in the clear i take idk if 4-6 somtimes 8 mg at a time is a high dose but ik 2mg will get me relatively faded if im not on coke/stims which is what i strictly use them for n i take em to come down from 3-6 day crack binges but thats not my point, i take em probably 4-8 days/month and never rly think about them but ill admit.. combined with opiates aswell as being dangerous is also way too satisfying and i absolutely hate myself when i take em with my morphine to get a faster/deeper nod so aslong as youre in control im sure you can take em without becoming 'addicted' especially if not used everyday the only crapper bout everyday is physical addiction even if mental doesnt happen, your body will eventually find the benzos yummy and need to eat em to feel properz also with everyday use tolerance will go boombamshabam

It's my belief that Benzodiazepines are not an appropriate treatment for an individual with a history of addiction. We can talk about all of the possibilities until the cows come home, but when you get down to the brass tacks, this individual is an addict being prescribed medication that is well-known for its addictive, self-reinforcing properties. You are an individual struggling with anxiety. Benzodiazepines are drugs that essentially eliminate anxiety. You are the lock and the drugs are the key. By choosing to take them, you are willingly opening yourself up to the potential of complete addiction, dependence and destruction.

I think it's possible to use Benzodiazepines in situations that are literally emergencies. Panic attacks in public places and stuff like that. If you're taking them multiple times a week, I just don't have a positive prognosis for your situation.

Unfortunately, I don't have options, i need to take it. I am having very strong cocaine cravings (after years of addiction). I have developed several social phobia because of that. Every time I am hanging out with my friends to have fun, I am thinking about cocaine. I cannot enjoy anything in my life anymore, I am always thinking about cocaine, this is not a life, there is no joy. I am going to assume the risk with benzos again, but now I am determined to make it work. I started taking quetiapine too so that I can intercalate it with Xanax, which gives me some days without it.

Take only as directed. If you're afraid you might abuse the drug, keep it out of sight out of mind, and only take it out for dosing.

I use tolerance as a barometer. If I take 2 mg at night I get a euphoric feeling. However after a while 2 mgs does not give me euphoria, so I switch to 3 and eventually to 4 mgs. After that I switch to etizolam. After using the etizolam for a while, I just switch to Gabapentin. Then I restart the cycle.

I think waiting until the end of the day gives me something to look forward to. Sometimes I’ll space it out at work. I’ll take .5 mg after being at work for two hours, then another .5 at lunch, and .5 at my last break. Although I’m definitely not as sharp for those last two hours.

I’m still amazed how Xanax gives me the munchies so much. I don’t think that used to be the case. Now it makes me starving. Then I eat, and I’m still hungry. I know that’s not a good sign.

I’m pretty sure I almost died going through Xanax withdrawal in the past. While it was horrible to go through, it was a positive thing in that I don’t think I’ll ever be stupid enough to get in that position again. I’m a true addict, so never say never, you know? But I just never see myself taking the amounts that I used to.

It sounds dramatic, but Xanax to me is truly life and death. I don’t think my mind or body could go through withdrawal again, at least not to the extent that I did before. It got to the point where the ER staff would recognize me when I came in. The seizures, brain scans, vivid dreams, hallucinations. It definitely shortened my life.