• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

how to store your test reagents?

borega

Bluelighter
I'd just screw them tight and put them in the fridge.but is this nessesary?

Out of interest is there much benefit in refrigerating test reagents. I just keep mine in sealed vials, in a dry sealed box at room temperature out of sunlight or heat.

A chemist friend told me they can last 10x longer in the fridge but make sure they do not freeze. I think you will benefit the most if you have really hot summers. Keep this also in mind that kept in a car, in the sun on a warm day can get really, really hot and reduce the life of your kit or destroy it.

I would highly recommend buying a small air tight container to put your reagent bottles in when in the fridge. This will increase safety from any toxic fumes getting released and possibly getting into your food. I do believe this is worthwhile as in the past plastic containers and ziplock bags I've kept my reagents in have had a smell from the reagents even though the bottle lids were on tight. Look for plastic containers with a silicone seal and four clamps (one on each side). Be sure it says on the advertising "air tight". I test mine when I get home by putting a little water inside clamping it shut and shaking the hell out of it to see if any water comes out. The poorly made brands leak water straight away. You can often find good air tight plastic containers for between $2-$6. Have a look around at the supermarket, hardware shop or cheap Asian $2 shop.