L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

How To Stop Being Co-Dependent Without Breaking Up

clvrsthdvl

Greenlighter
I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about a two years now. Things have been running smoothly, all up until about a month or so. I've noticed that he's gotten a little distant, and conversation has fizzled out between us.

We're both in the military, stationed in different parts of the U.S., having met at a previous post we were both in. The time difference is of five hours, and he works odd hours, so there isn't a very big window where I can talk to him. We've haven't seen each other in person for six months, and skype/phone calls have been our only method of communication. I've planned to take some time off to go and visit him for a couple of days.

A couple nights ago, I had a nasty fight with my mother, and wasn't feeling to well about it afterwards. Automatically, and almost immediately, I called my boyfriend, and became quite upset when he didn't answer his phone, to the point where I was angry and sad for a couple of hours.

After the dust cleared and I was back to my normal self, I realized that I had grown ridiculously dependent on him. I recalled every single time that I've gotten upset over the past few months, and saw that my go to was to talk to him. I kept thinking, and realized that I haven't been talking or spending much time with my friends just to Skype/talk to him, to a point where even my friends have asked why I don't go out anymore. I call him every free time I get, and sometimes, those calls go on for hours.

I figured that this was all because of our time apart, and the fact that I would be deploying in less than a year. However, there were still concerns on my dependency. This has never happened with my other relationships, and it frightens me.

I'm going to get down to the hard cold truth staring me in the face: I'm scared that he's going to leave me. He is alone, thousands of miles away, and could easily pick up any girl he wanted. We've put quite a bit of work into making this all work, and I'm afraid that it all goes to crap because someone else comes along. Don't get me wrong, I would let him go unscathed, but the thought still doesn't sit well with me. I've never been the jealous type, but with him, I've noticed the little green monster reared its ugly head a lot more that ever.

The point is, I've realized I have a problem. I want to fix it. Of course, I don't expect this post to answer all my questions and resolve my life, but a starting point would be extremely appreciated. I want to be able to go back to the way I was before: independent and most of all, happier in my relationship.

Please, I need all the help that I can get.

Thank you!

Last edited:
its because you are so far away and things are out of your control

over time this will enhance insecurities.

what does being deployed involve risk wise? could this be linked to heightened needs?

Deployment usually is a 6-12 month period where I'm in the hot zone of the war against terrorism (Iraq/Afghanistan). I'm living in survivable conditions, and there's little to no contact with my family. I would only be able to skype him once a month, talk to him every now and again, and send him letters when I have the time.

fear of death is an obvious reason why you would get more needy. i think if you are afraid that you might get killed (any sane person would be) its not unreasonable to expect a greater level of emotional support.

thats only human

fear of death is an obvious reason why you would get more needy. i think if you are afraid that you might get killed (any sane person would be) its not unreasonable to expect a greater level of emotional support.

thats only human

I'd have to agree with this. It seems very natural in a high risk situation.