• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How to spot "overconfidence" and "insecurities" in ones self

I think putting in the effort and being thoughtful goes a long way. That basically puts you way ahead of the curve, just giving a fuck.

I don't think these examples would be possible by purposeful intention by a limited analytical mind, but only by connecting or immersion within some sort of astral fabric perhaps, or a universal mind, where all is contained already.
I've been intrigued by this idea of an universal mind since I first heard about it. It's what opened me up to spiritual/philosophical/metaphysical stuff.
But, I realized that if I just stop thinking, let my mind go completely blank, and wait for the answer.. the answer will present itself.
Now that's your brain being in alpha brainwave mode which is when you are relaxed. It's also when creativity happens. As opposed to beta waves which are emitted when you are consciously thinking.
Now, the example of Tesla would suggest he was able to induce lots of gamma brainwaves, which are the ones that help with cognition. Then there's the epsilon and lambda brainwaves that are believed to be linked to enlightenment and almost supernatural abilities (that would be that guy who can sit naked in the snow for example).
Now is that a universal mind? Or a higher self?
It's your brain subconsciously accessing subconsciouly stored memories stored in your long term memory.
but I have recently been getting the feeling that we create our own reality through the message that we give off to the world around us.
That would go with the Law of attraction.

Sorry I my answers are so superficial, but I'm on my tablet (can't have all my notes about this stuff open while writing) and I had disrupted sleep (a nearby fire at 3 am that woke the whole neighborhood) and the first 30 minutes of my day were a disaster.
But if you guys are into this, then you can read about brainwaves and law of attraction on Wikipedia (I don't suggest just googling for good information)

I think putting in the effort and being thoughtful goes a long way. That basically puts you way ahead of the curve, just giving a fuck.
This morning I didn't feel like putting in much effort with my neighbor (the guy, not the gal). And right now I don't give a duck about it ;)

It's your brain subconsciously accessing subconsciouly stored memories stored in your long term memory.
This is as plausible as any other explanation, but.. can you define sub-conscious? Or define what a memory is? How it is stored, retrieved, and played back like a roll of film? And on what screen is the memory witnessed?

This is where psychology falls down, because it is waxing poetic without having any solid foundation, solid definitions on which to draw upon. It is why it still resists out-of-body experiences as being valid, and why it resisted hypnosis and would have continued to do so if it weren't for the fact we can demonstrate hypnosis far more easily than OBE's.

The assumption we make is that thoughts, memories, belong to us. But this is an assumption. I've experienced group hallucinations on psychedelics (and telepathy), as I'm sure others here have. Who owned those thoughts? Was it one of us? Both? Or neither? Or both and neither, at the same time?

The underlying point is, we make proclamations about thought/memory without having the faintest idea of what the truth is, despite the paradoxical fact these things are closer to 'us' than anything in our physical lives. We're also taught what we perceive is physical stimulus converted into electro-chemical signals, and then the brain makes it real.. yet we then continually overlook the fact that what we see before us is a reconstruction. On what screen is that reconstruction taking place?

Psychology might not tell you how memories are stored and retrieved, but neuroscience can. Phenomena like OBEs are considered pseudoscience because they are not reproducible, nor can they be falsified.

I'm not into psychedelics and I'm not even much into the "togetherness" required for the experiences you describe.
I can't say they don't exist because how would I know?
All I know is that I can share an experience with someone, and for a short time this shared experience will make me feel closer to the person or person's I shared it with. But it will still be my own experience because the way I process it will at some.piont be different from tjat of tje others.

It's an interesting topic, and though I'm a rather rational person and a sceptic, I enjoy to play with ideas that stretch the boundaries of modern science.

Psychology might not tell you how memories are stored and retrieved, but neuroscience can.
No it can't. They can't identify memories in the neuron structure of the brain, nor can they accurately identify how such structures would even get translated into three dimensional holographic representations. They might claim memories are stored in the brain, but they literally have nothing to base that off what so ever, other than the fact that our current materialistic paradigm demands that memory be stored only in the brain flesh.

The Christmas tree like neuron activity you see when a person (or animal) engages in behaviour or recall, is just that, neuron activity. It says absolutely nothing other than what we project back on to those patterns we observe. There's many cases of people who have been born with the majority of the cerebellum missing (replaced with just cerebrospinal fluid), who have virtually no abnormality in behaviours and you would never know their brains are missing if it weren't for the brain scans.
Phenomena like OBEs are considered pseudoscience because they are not reproducible, nor can they be falsified.
This is just a cop out. There are so many people out there who have experienced them, myself included. Many people have experienced verifiable OBE's during a death experience, accurately recounting details of other peoples activity they had no way of ever knowing, especially in hospital settings. Science can dismiss it all it wants, but the evidence for it is so overwhelming at this point that dismissing it is akin to the way the RC Church dismissed science itself in the early days.

Science is stuck in an outdated paradigm. It's ironic really, that it chooses to cling to dogmatic belief just like the Church did and refuses to evolve with the new information discovered. This is why science has stagnated, why there is no real innovation, and why many branches of it (e.g. cosmology, particle physics) are now in crisis.

It's easy to see all this when you've personally experienced something that goes above and beyond the entire paradigm itself. You can look back and see exactly where the 'copes' and dogma are, or perhaps institutional corruption preventing evolution of ideas.

Science is stuck in an outdated paradigm. It's ironic really, that it chooses to cling to dogmatic belief just like the Church did and refuses to evolve with the new information discovered. This is why science has stagnated, why there is no real innovation, and why many branches of it (e.g. cosmology, particle physics) are now in crisis.

This thread has made me think along these lines as well. I am not familiar with the intricacies but clearly there are lots of missing links. Like a shit ton.

Sure, okay didn't know the label.

My experience was a bit more than just that.
I've had this kind of experiences, too. Like if I really want something bad enough, it comes true. There's a plausible explanation for it, of course. In a way you can rationalize everything if you want.

When I was an intern at a big international company customizing a product for one of their big international clients, I worked with a very interesting guy with lots of interests (met him at a friend's party and he was the one who got me the internship). Among all the stuff he was into, he believed in the law of attraction and had a course on CD about Remote Viewing, which was based on the premise of the existence of a universal mind (a matrix where everything that was ever thought is stored, and that be accessed by anyone). It practically goestto what @-=SS=- wrote:
I don't think these examples would be possible by purposeful intention by a limited analytical mind, but only by connecting or immersion within some sort of astral fabric perhaps, or a universal mind, where all is contained already.

I listened to the first units and the topics got me hooked. Eventually I forgot about it, but a few years later it all came back and though I don't really believe a thing like Remote Viewing actually works, the content of that course inspired me to think about a lot of things.

Besides, the course has a guided visualization that helped me through a very bad phase of my life.

Now why am I telling this?
Because despite being a sceptic and looking for rational answers and not buying any God(s) shit, I do think there are still a lot of things humans haven't discovered (yet?). And I enjoy thinking about how, or what, it might be. I even started to make up my own cosmology. It's where I go to when I feel like escaping the "real" world.
But I also think that this kind of thing is an aspect of our lives that everyone has to explore for themselves, and the results will be very different depending on whether you believe that there's a supreme being, or in a certain dharma.

Last edited:
All a little chaotic and maybe sounds a little superficial and stupid, I know. I don't have many people to talk about this stuff, so I never had to put it into words before right now. Then half my mind is already solving work issues, and the dogs are begging to go out. On top I'm not a very eloquent person to begin with (unless I have to write a structured paper/article/documentation).

@Madness I also think we digressed a little from your original question.

You got me thinking, madness.
Hell of a title, imo.
Mine are blaring like the proverbial elephant. How do I see them? Are they unhealthy...? Hmmmmmm
Maybe our "shortcomings" or "faults" are a ballast? You know how I preach balance.... 🙄
Now to execute this idea I need more time. lol

You got me thinking, madness.
Hell of a title, imo.
Mine are blaring like the proverbial elephant. How do I see them? Are they unhealthy...? Hmmmmmm
Maybe our "shortcomings" or "faults" are a ballast? You know how I preach balance.... 🙄
Now to execute this idea I need more time. lol

Yeah I think I agree with @-=SS=- in that (in my own words and spin): analysis should be done in retrospect, and using our gut / instinct / and on the extreme and spiritual end, possibly even a larger power of sorts in the moment.

And when we get to that big level of thinking, like a potential universal mind, I think having positivity and good intentions goes a very long way.

This thread has made me think along these lines as well. I am not familiar with the intricacies but clearly there are lots of missing links. Like a shit ton.
The state of modern psychology alone is a tremendous tragedy. It is probably the most important branch of science in all honesty, yet it has been forced to serve as a utilitarian straightjacket to ensure people are healthy enough to pay taxes basically. It could be so much more.

The state of modern psychology alone is a tremendous tragedy. It is probably the most important branch of science in all honesty, yet it has been forced to serve as a utilitarian straightjacket to ensure people are healthy enough to pay taxes basically. It could be so much more.

Love that analogy.

I wish I knew enough to wield what ever is surrounding us for some positive outcome.

However, I wonder @-=SS=- - is this the type of thing where, information is present to us and if it is understood or at least respected, then more will come? I am under that belief, I've never quite put it into words until this text

I meant to consider these earlier - I was pretty fucked up on Wednesday.

I'm reminded of the TED talk by Apollo Robbins, a pick pocket, on 'misdirection'. I think that fits into this discussion. He is someone who has mastered the ability to be confident while respecting the 'flow' of doubt (the other persons own awareness). I'm not sure how to word it into this discussion, I'm busy at the moment, but I feel there's something in there that might add to your contemplations.

See this is interesting because it does in fact tie in. I sometimes say.. it's not my job to get inside the head of so-and-so, but often I find myself analyzing interactions with a certain disconnect so that I have enough "RAM" to be able to simultaneously, as much as I possibly can, understand the other person's position.

This can start great conversations. Interesting observations and such. Especially with like minds.

However with others, I find that it leaves me feeling like I've manipulated them. Wondering how much what they were saying was truly what they believe.

Something I've realized recently. When I'll think of something and want to remember it, then forget what it was because my mind is jumping all over the place. If I purposefully try to remember it, I won't. I can try tracing my steps backwards, which sometimes works if I can remember all the steps. But, I realized that if I just stop thinking, let my mind go completely blank, and wait for the answer.. the answer will present itself.

Yes Morpheus I mean SS 😁 I too feel as though solutions present in time. The main takeaway personally from your text here is that if I'm in a certain mood, or distracted, scatterbrained and not really being mindful, I'm pretty hopeless at.. idk. Basically everything other than automated responses and muscle memories.

See this is interesting because it does in fact tie in. I sometimes say.. it's not my job to get inside the head of so-and-so, but often I find myself analyzing interactions with a certain disconnect so that I have enough "RAM" to be able to simultaneously, as much as I possibly can, understand the other person's position.

This can start great conversations. Interesting observations and such. Especially with like minds. However with others, I find that it leaves me feeling like I've manipulated them. Wondering how much what they were saying was truly what they believe.
In and of itself, language is both magic and mystery - it is still an enigma to evolutionary theory too. It seems to always have the tendency to breed confusion between people, which depending on the temperament of the parties may result in anything from an ego bashing to a facial bashing. Growing up I never could quite reconcile the language with what peoples body language and in particular their eyes were telling me.

It's such a paradox. The more words you fill into the silence, the more chance there is for confusion to arise, but yet somehow if you both persist in a dialogue you may eventually discover that you actually have a great deal in common - if only the zealous religious folk would apply this!

So long as your heart is in the right place, all is well. We disconnect in a sense when interacting with children, being playful but mindful of trying to guide them a little perhaps, but we don't think of that as manipulation as such. Is it any different with adults? We're not all on the same level. We'll never truly know how our language registers inside the minds of others, there's probably things we say that aren't profound to us but may plant great seeds in the other person, for example. Or some may cause pain or hurt, unintentionally.

We'll never truly know how our language registers inside the minds of others, there's probably things we say that aren't profound to us but may plant great seeds in the other person, for example. Or some may cause pain or hurt, unintentionally.

Ayuh, isn't that the truth

Before I abruptly walked out of corporate America, my girlfriend would urge me to stay open to the notion that, something to the effect of, sometimes it's those who we think have low opinions of us who in fact regard us very highly. Or, the opposite.

And the possible pain and hurt from misunderstandings you mentioned is disheartening, especially for someone with say autism, or maybe someone neurodiverse in general, and then there is everyone in the entire world, too, who have way more things going on, troubles and situations than will ever meet our eyes.

For every thing we think we know about someone, there are thousands of things we don't. And guess what - in several years that may all entirely change.

All a little chaotic and maybe sounds a little superficial and stupid, I know. I don't have many people to talk about this stuff, so I never had to put it into words before right now. Then half my mind is already solving work issues, and the dogs are begging to go out. On top I'm not a very eloquent person to begin with (unless I have to write a structured paper/article/documentation).

@Madness I also think we digressed a little from your original question.

You're fine I just struggle with the text book stuff. Putting things into words is difficult for me as well. Perhaps it's hard for me to digest information that isn't tied to personal experience. However I kill at mathematics so that's not entirely true..

Ayuh, isn't that the truth

Before I abruptly walked out of corporate America, my girlfriend would urge me to stay open to the notion that, something to the effect of, sometimes it's those who we think have low opinions of us who in fact regard us very highly. Or, the opposite.

And the possible pain and hurt from misunderstandings you mentioned is disheartening, especially for someone with say autism, or maybe someone neurodiverse in general, and then there is everyone in the entire world, too, who have way more things going on, troubles and situations than will ever meet our eyes.

For every thing we think we know about someone, there are thousands of things we don't. And guess what - in several years that may all entirely change.
Yeah. It's one of the beautiful tragedies of language really, how it contains both the potentials for lifting a person up or bringing them down, and how you as the transmitter don't control the receiver. It makes it all the more miraculous really, that we're managed to come this far as a species - it's also why evolutionary theory struggles to explain how it came about, due to language being so untrustworthy generally.

The intention behind the words matters. I truly believe that. Somehow there can be a communication beyond time and space, a direct communication, that a receiver can pick up on, or perhaps tune in to. You find this with the writings of spiritual giants in particular, something I've experienced when reading the book 'I am That'. I think this applies to all of us, I can't see how we would have made it this far as a species with just mere words alone. In fact, I think even the animals have that direct ability to an extent too.

Intentions matter but I've noticed people read things differently, pick up on different cues, miss things ect which is why I've always been such a forum junkie. Easier to analyze. Easier to express. No distractions on either end.

Having two heads, one very empathetic and outgoing, and one more cognitive and introverted, really makes us dangerous in regards to people trying to to get over on us. Usually if one of us doesn't catch something, the other will.

Another example, I was out eating with my best friend from highschool, my girlfriend and his wife. His wife was telling me a story and was asking if I was following because I was looking at her but not making any head nods or whatever. I guess she needs the reaffirming motion. So I asked her.. and I knew her husband would laugh.. that what if I had turrets syndrome and couldn't stop nodding my head, but wasn't listening?

So point being, not sure I agree just because I've been duped and also have slithered my way out of situations especially in my younger years.

Intentions can be hard, so do you mean the whole gut reaction type thing @-=SS=- ?

You're fine I just struggle with the text book stuff. Putting things into words is difficult for me as well. Perhaps it's hard for me to digest information that isn't tied to personal experience. However I kill at mathematics so that's not entirely true..
Similar thing here. I never struggled with math, but I found physics and chemistry more interesting.

Intentions matter but I've noticed people read things differently, pick up on different cues, miss things ect which is why I've always been such a forum junkie. Easier to analyze. Easier to express. No distractions on either end.
How good are you at having conversations with more than person? Like sitting at a table with one or two people you know, and like four strangers?
I can't do that. But I learned to react to others while they are talking by nodding or sayin "mmm" because of reactions like that of your friend's wife.

In and of itself, language is both magic and mystery - it is still an enigma to evolutionary theory too. It seems to always have the tendency to breed confusion between people, which depending on the temperament of the parties may result in anything from an ego bashing to a facial bashing.
It has a lot to do with how different people define one word differently. Unless you have a common agreement what is meant by a specific word, there can be a lot of confusion, misunderstanding, and disagreement. I see this with some people I work with (who like to confuse users with members and we had some ugly bugs in ur software because of this) and more personally with my brother.

The intention behind the words matters. I truly believe that. Somehow there can be a communication beyond time and space, a direct communication, that a receiver can pick up on, or perhaps tune in to.
I've been playing with this idea a lot. Nonverbal communication beyond just body language. That would require in fact some sort of different connection (meaning not auditory or visual or tactile signals) between the receiver and the transmitter. What could that be? And they would still need a minimum of shared concepts. Basic emotions and similar thought patterns.