• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to reduce your chance of having a bad diphenhydramine trip.

nancy145

Bluelighter
First off, I'd like to state that i, in no way, do not support the use of diphenhydramine recreationally. It is a very dangerous drug that usually results in bad trips. The purpose of this thread is to decrease the risk of a bad trip for people who are going to use it. Please do your research on it first, I made the mistake of not doing that and ended up having seizures, going to the ER, and nearly dying.
Record your trip. Almost all of the time DPH is used recreationally it results in a bad trip. Its hard to remember things from your DPH trip because it really messes with your memory. You can also have false memories on it, which you often realize are false right after, but they can become mixed in with your real memories so it's hard to decifer the real ones from the fake. You don't always know what is real and what is a hallucination on DPH, so you can forget powerful hallucinations easily. Record both hallucinations and reality, because what you think is reality may end up being a hallucination.
Smoke weed if you have a bad trip. I have smoked weed with most of my DPH trips, and almost all of the time I didn't I had a bad trip. I also take lorazepam with it, but I don't know if the combination is safe, so I can't recommend it.
Again, please do your research before tripping. The potentially lethal dose is very close to an average recreational dose, and it has very harmful effects on both body and mind. Be safe
EDIT: This is all from my personal experience. It may not apply to everyone.
EDIT 2: I figured I'd say this just cuz, I was on a stimulant binge when I wrote this so sorry if it's too much detail.

Last edited:
So basically your advice to "avoid bad trips on dph" is to record it and smoke weed?

I used to take diphenhydramine daily around 150-200mg for a pseudo-stimulant sort of feeling but never really got into tripping on it except out of macabre curiosity on a handful of occasions. I don't know why it effected me like a stimulant and had rather nice euphoria at the sub-trip dose range as it usually does the opposite for most(dysphoria and lethargy). I would never recommend trip doses as your heart rate can increase dramatically and you can do lots of fucked up things reacting to the hallucinations. For the discomfort some people claim DXM makes the trips recreational at a 3:4 ratio(300mg dxm/ 400mg diphen). I don't know how safe combining them is and i've never taken them together but i've heard about the combo quite a few times so it probably is enjoyable if you have a taste for the bizarre.

There is no recreational use of diphenhydramine. Period.
I can tell you from personal experience there most certainly is, it's just rare that you can get pleasurable effects from it. Some people have good trips off it, including me.

There really isn't any 'advice' to be found in the OP. Its just speculation.

Smoke weed if you have a bad trip. I have smoked weed with most of my DPH trips, and almost all of the time I didn't I had a bad trip. I also take lorazepam with it, but I don't know if the combination is safe, so I can't recommend it.

To be honest, the first sentence here is poor advice. Many people find that cannabis seriously potentiates or synergises with other psychoactives; and weed is also pretty notorious for causing anxiety, particularly in novices or users without a tolerance (but even for experienced smokers) I think it would be a very unpleasant combination, with massive potential behavioural risk. There is no reason to think that it was cannabis that prevented you from having bad trips, the fact that "most of the time" you were okay doesn't really mean well. If you are a daily/all-the-time smoker, it is probably not a huge issue but I would steer clear.

Lorazepam is an anxiolytic so it is expected that you won't freak out as intensely if used concurrently, but like all benzo's it is amensiac and disinhibitng which could very well be potentiated when combined with a deleriant.

The safest way to take a deleriant (besides not taking it) is low, incremental dosing where you slowly build up to a large dose over several hours. That is the only way I would suggest using something like this; you can always take more, but you can never take less.

Personally, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot samurai sword. :\

Goodwalt said:
There is no recreational use of diphenhydramine. Period.

It sounds more like torture to me, but unfortunately, there actually is recreational use. I consider these drugs incredibly dangerous and wish people wouldn't take them, but alas! they do. I'm glad that they can be discussed on Bluelight, perhaps it will prevent someone from getting hurt, even though I would rather people "just say no" to deleriants. There are soooooooo many better drugs, and some are legal (DXM for one).

I can't think of a reason why I would do diphenhydramine over another safer and more thoroughly assayed drug. Maybe I'm prejudiced against deliriants, but it seems to be the norm for psychedelic users.

The best way to reduce your chance of having a bad diphenhydramine trip is to NOT take it ;)
and instead take a safe psychedelic, like a 2C-X :D

Well, I, for one, think that recreational use of that particular compound is a really bad idea, for reasons others have extrapolated on and most people already know. Like I've always said...just because you CAN get high on something, doesn't mean you should. Kind of like huffing silver spray paint...