View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to really handle DMT?

LostAtomsk

Bluelighter
I don't mean materially, how to ingest DMT, I mean, how to handle the effects?

I acquired an old batch of freebase which was deemed oxidized. I tried it a while ago and didn't get much effect, just the bad taste :)
Turns out the batch was still very much effective. I'm hipster vaper but I've been sitting on my finances a lot, so instead of vaping from a tank, I switch to my old dripper because it's a lot more cost-effective. I forgot I still had some DMT left in a vial and decided to give it another go. Turns out I was vaping on a bad setting before (I'm annoyingly forgetful about these things) and switched to the correct settings and gave it a go.

By chance, I have also seemed to have perfected my inhaling techniques. The first draws I took and held in, were quite familiar. Vision got swirly, dizzy, strange body-load, patterns. Not unpleasant, kind of feels like LSD would. Swirly, breathing visuals.
The second set of tokes, I held in, really kicked my ass and then some. I absolutely started seeing cross-eyed and lost control of my perception. I had experienced the geometric everything-become-flat-like-a-lego-world before, but this was like that, but superimposed over eachother in a dizzying kaleidoscope-effect.

I felt like I was hinging between reality and strangeness and although I collected myself through breathing exercises, it was absolutely as impressive as it was frightening. I've never broken through, but looking back, my mind started racing and I honestly got scared. Is this what the second plateau is, what people experience as an uncomfortable anxiety? My vision was about to give out and I constantly caught myself losing control by focusing on things and trying to "snap out of it". However, my brain had no idea what to snap out of. It's best described as a panic, although I managed to pull myself together. The effects wear off fast enough and the more or less calmed my mind, even though time becomes very much warped.

I realize that you need to take pace with this sensation and you need to let go of control, but that's a lot harder than it sounds. My set and setting were fine, although they could be more optimal (sitting at my desk, with headphones on, listening to Dvorak).

I'm also open to suggestions for set and setting. I've contemplated going into a quiet nature backdrop, but I don't have a private place like that at my disposal. I don't want seclude myself too much, but I also don't want anyone around. I'd be too conscientious about someone else nearby. Lying down in the dark, or near dark feel like a depressing state to be in. Music or no music? Light or no light? Nature or the safe confines of my home? Alone or with someone?

As expected, DMT offers more questions than answers, but the psychonaut journey is simply one that I cannot shake. Your advice or experience is much appreciated!

You have no choice but to handle DMT, and you did.

I mean, you got to witness your natural fight-or-flight reaction to the overwhelming hallucinogenic effects, and now you have something to reflect on. (Why did I react that way? What am I afraid of? Am I really threatened by the drug in any appreciable way?) Sweet! What more could you ask for?

For anyone interested, this is the way I have found that works for DMT. Although I've not broken through, yet, that is because of my own volition to stair-step my way up there:
- I use a cheap Velocity clone dripper, a single coil and some cheap cotton. This dripper has been sacrificed to the DMT gods, as it now reeks like ass (despite my still using it occasionally for regular juice, with new cotton, finances et al)
- I have a small glass vial I have the DMT in, which I fill with some generic vape liquid with a neutral flavour and NO NICOTINE (I can't stress that enough, don't mix!). I shake it up and leave it sit for a few hours. I filled for about 1/5th.
- The mod is has to allow temp control and the coil has to allow temp control (duh). I'm using stainless steel.
- The mod is set to about 200°C. I'll let you guys figure out what that makes in Fahrenheit (silly yanks)
- With a small pipette, I dose, but don't drench the cotton with the liquid.
- Take a deep, cleansing breath by breathing "through the stomach". Breathing techniques are best practiced beforehand. I cannot stress the importance of breathing techniques enough in any situation. The 4-7-7 technique helps. Breathe in deeply in for 4 counts, hold for 7 seconds and slowly exhale for 7 seconds. Most people find the slow exhale the most difficult. I've gotten familiar enough I don't need to count the sequence in my head, which helps when the mind becomes fuzzy after a while. I used this technique as a life buoy to collect myself.
- I toke by pulsing. I find that a lot more agreeable to inhale and hold than taking a big rip. I use the one-one-two, one-one-two technique, where one-one is where I push down on the trigger fully and slowly and release on two. Think of it as the morse code for the letter G. Rinse and repeat until your lungs are full at a comfortable level. As stated in the previous point, hold for 7 long counts, exhale slowly for 7 counts.

To get to that crazy state from my previous post, I did two steps of inhaling, exhaling. I cannot, for the life of me, remember I exhaled, because at that point, I suddenly dropped off the reality spectrum :D

You have no choice but to handle DMT, and you did.

I mean, you got to witness your natural fight-or-flight reaction to the overwhelming hallucinogenic effects, and now you have something to reflect on. (Why did I react that way? What am I afraid of? Am I really threatened by the drug in any appreciable way?) Sweet! What more could you ask for?
True! It broadens my horizon and I suppose it's the ego or consciousness clinging for survival after being dispersed into thin air. My mind starts racing and what's funny is that I indeed start asking all these questions and suddenly came to the realization "I don't want to be like this. Make it stop." and I feel stupid because I got what I bargained for.

I can only guess that with time, being exposed to this state will help my gather myself and my thought so I can go into this, in a more relaxed state. It's a shame I'm pretty much all the way through the little bit of freebase I had left, here. Such a fickle beast, DMT.

By Mjolnir, it sure is impressive.

True! It broadens my horizon and I suppose it's the ego or consciousness clinging for survival after being dispersed into thin air. My mind starts racing and what's funny is that I indeed start asking all these questions and suddenly came to the realization "I don't want to be like this. Make it stop." and I feel stupid because I got what I bargained for.

I can only guess that with time, being exposed to this state will help my gather myself and my thought so I can go into this, in a more relaxed state. It's a shame I'm pretty much all the way through the little bit of freebase I had left, here. Such a fickle beast, DMT.

By Mjolnir, it sure is impressive.

Don't feel stupid; you're only human, and your reaction was perfectly natural. :) I agree, over time you will learn to accept the ego-dissolution more readily, if you're persistent.

As for setting, I have smoked DMT in a variety of environments, and personally I prefer to do it indoors, with no music. DMT is so inwardly focused that I find it best to minimize external distractions, and simply make sure I'm as comfortable as possible.

And one final recommendation: ensure that you're going into the trip with the sincere intention for self-improvement, and deep trust in the whole process. If you have any suspicion that you might be turning to DMT for escapism, or if you feel some hesitation about whether you're truly ready for the trip, I would suggest waiting.

IMO, that setting sounds way less than optimal. The absolute last place id wanna try blasting off on dmt is sitting at my desk, in my room full of things that are related to so much stuff and distraction I don't want to bothered with (school, work, goals, things I need to do, responsibilities, how i need to do laundry, etc.) if i'm trying to really "let go". How am I supposed to let go if I'm surrounded by things that attach me to this world? Not that you should be an escapist, but for the occasion of DMT I think you wanna clear your mind of shit thats gonna make you anxious or remind you of things that might make you anxious.

Trying to leave this world surrounded by your baggage might give an escapist vibe

Hike out to a nice, safe, quiet nature spot with a friend or two and do it their with their assistance and supervision. Lay back in the grass and gaze at a beautiful sunset through the trees. I can guarantee you won't feel panicked their, or at least a lot less.

Every single "bad" trip I've read about DMT is people trying to blast off in their garage/bedroom.

with salvia, which some say is similar, fast acting, intense, short duration -
I find I do best when I let go and keep on letting go, and keep on keeping on letting go, and as each new wave of psychedelic complexity unfolds

Aywhere anytime I can check out to the center of the universe. We are only tied down by the materials we worship. Headspace is headspace no matter where you are I remember watching my friend in a car while I was blasting and I saw him jamming a crystal into the CD player in the spaceship I was flying in. Letting go is harder for some. Certain people are just more connected to the earth than the universe. Nature is beautiful and I have watched redwoods turn into Egyptian alien goddesses and kiss my forehead. Eyes open or closed doesn't matter to me but some can only get off proper in a quiet environment with their eyes closed. Just sit back and breathe.

Just packing up a monster hit, after reading these threads. Have a grate day everyone.

You too pucman
NSFW:
9ae71e65c0befba264543cc8e854bd8b--cheese-quotes-cheese-puns.jpg

I just lay back and let it take over telling myself everything is going to be okay. Lol. Which it always is...

You give in and let the spirits guide you. If you try to fight the teaching then you will have a bumpy ride. Its not an easy trip no matter what you do.

One thing worked for me very well: meditation for about 30 minutes leading up to it.

I am not really the believer type but have realized that rituals can have a very different purpose. For me it helped to follow a certain procedure of preparing everything to blast off while keeping myself aware of reverent and respectful intentions. This has nothing to do with what I believe or not about DMT, but to program one's own mind and prepare it.

In any case, it is an amazing vantage point to blast off from and I have been able to keep a high degree of concentration even with the DMT flash... I compare it to the feelings of compassion among other things, that arise from zazen.

I guess doing that meditation properly to prepare isn't easy, especially for a novice, but in a way it can enable you to do the hard part before even taking the DMT which is to center and concentrate in order to keep up (or handle / bear it). Maybe unfair since I meditate with some sort of frequency, but it actually made the trip pretty doable to me! Kind of makes sense: without meditating your concentration isn't very high so it is VERY easy to feel lost in the effects and this spirals out of control. Zen type meditation trains you not to get distracted by what goes on in your mind, to observe it without really reacting. Considering what makes DMT challenging, isn't that the perfect antidote?

Whatever you do, don't go in distracted or scatterbrained... I don't think you have a chance in that case.

Last edited:
yo!

is DMT like a psychedelic [dissasociative] trip to Venus

btw ANGELdust means its safe

I don't think so, the atmosphere of Venus is full of sulfuric acid clouds

Angel dust means it is safe as much as it means that you should ingest it using a vacuum cleaner, and also has nothing to do with DMT

yo!

is DMT like a psychedelic [dissasociative] trip to Venus

btw ANGELdust means its safe
Angel dust is pcp, which is a disassociative compound... DMT is a Psychedelic tryptamine based compound... When you make a joke try to be funny.

forgive me for lacking humour

dxm [psychedelic dissociative] is like a drug trip on planet mars]

ive never done DMT, what is it like, if u don't mind me asking for a personal perspective

I imagine theres a drug like DXM for all planets

p