• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How to proceed with poppies

nuube

Bluelighter
Hi all. I've grown a few papaver somniferum and the petals have fallen off about a week ago and am getting ready to proceed. I can can't make up my mind whether or not I should score and collect the latex, should I cut and dry to ground up the pods or do both.

So I am asking:

1 - what is the safest way to take it - latex smoked v tea?

2 - what is the best way to get the most out of the plants?

3 - If I take the latex what is the best way to do so and to store?

Thanks for the help.

Collecting the latex requires practice, skill and a lot of patience. If your interested in experiencing what that is like, something I've enjoyed is to collect latex multiples times over a few days, then processing that (first drying it then using alcohol, filtration and heat) into slightly more pure opium latex for smoking or eating. Then with the poppy straw and scraped pods using those to make tea.

I prefer eating opium or drinking poppy tea to smoking it (smoking itself is a skill and takes quite a bit more, although it produces a cool experience, particularly if there isn't a large tolerance going in). Most inexperienced users really have a steep learning curve with smoking it, and end up wasting a lot of it. Also if you're smoking it you really want to process the latex into opium, as smoking raw opium is less intense.

You'll probably want to just make tea out of your poppies though. It is sooooo much easier. For that you can use the poppies as is, although drying them and using the seeds for your next crop is what I would do. Tea is pretty safe, as is smoking it. If you're making tea start with four-six pods. If you're smoking processed opium try a pea sized bit.

There is a lot of info on Erowid on this kind of thing though. Check out their poppy vault.

Might scrape one head, and drink the rest. Am I likely to get enough opium for a one off from one head?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Almost certainly not. I assume you're not working with a lot of the plants? In that case, tea is probably the most practical. That said, harvesting a little opium might be fun just for the experience if not effects.

The most efficient way to get the opium extracted is to just extract it from the entire poppy/straw with the appropriate solvents, but even then it takes a few pods for a good sided smoke. With just scraping off the latex to make opium it takes even more poppies, probably twice as many, as it leaves a lot still left in the pod/plant.

I'd say you'd probably want the latex harvested from 3-6 good sized pods for one smoking experience without any significant tolerance to opioids generally. That said, harvesting the latex is kinda fun once you get into. You really appreciate just how much work needs to put into it for harvesting it in that way on large scales (like for the blackmarket). And even if it isn't enough to give you a proper buzzed, you might enjoy putting it in a cigarette or small joint to smoke.

If you haven't check it out, I again suggest you explore erowid on this. They really have a lot of info on the subject of harvesting opium.

IF I do scrape a head or two I would still be intending to grind them down for tea so as not to waste any. I did take a look at erowid as you suggested and a couple of other sites too but always like to ask my own questions, especially as this is my first go at it (I'll have more plants next year, lots more :) ).

I have 13 plants ranging form 3' - 5' to work with. SO what I am now planning to do is milk 1 or 2 collecting the latex for smoking. The rest I intend to cut dry and ground. From what I read many cut up the stem too, am I right in that?

Thanks for the help toothpastedog, I appreciate the time and effort.

a bunch of scored poppies in your garden might be a little suspect... i'd probably just go for the tea.

Its pretty private with little no no visitors that would even look so I should be safe enough that way.

IF I do scrape a head or two I would still be intending to grind them down for tea so as not to waste any. I did take a look at erowid as you suggested and a couple of other sites too but always like to ask my own questions, especially as this is my first go at it (I'll have more plants next year, lots more :) ).

I have 13 plants ranging form 3' - 5' to work with. SO what I am now planning to do is milk 1 or 2 collecting the latex for smoking. The rest I intend to cut dry and ground. From what I read many cut up the stem too, am I right in that?

Thanks for the help toothpastedog, I appreciate the time and effort.

No problem. Most of the goodies are in the pods, but it's worth processing the stems into tea. The leaves are good for collecting the fresh latex to dry in the sun :)

I went to the flowers and seen that my kids had managed to break one with a ball. I took it in and scored it and little white blobs appeared. I left it for 3 hrs checked on it and it had dried up! Had I scored too deeply or should they only be scored when growing? I guess its tea with this one. :)

Last edited:
It's best to score them (very lightly, no deeper than just enough to draw a little latex - so maybe 1 or 2mm) while they're still rooted. It is possible to extract some latex once they've already been picked, but they tend to dry up a little faster. I don't wait that long before collecting the latex from that days scrapes though, more like half an hour tops. It's a lot of trial and error though. Scoring the pods once a day and making collections from that, each day for three days is normal how I've harvested.

You can always score some of your pods you're going to use for tea to get a feel of how best to go about collecting latex from them.

I also want to reiterate that you aren't going to get a whole lot out of smoking raw latex from a few pods, so don't get your hopes up too high about effects from that.

Cheers tpd. I'll score for practice but make tea, figure that'll be the most efficient way. Thanks for all the advice.

I also want to reiterate that you aren't going to get a whole lot out of smoking raw latex from a few pods, so don't get your hopes up too high about effects from that.

Yeah. I remember doing this when I was about 13 - at the time I had literally no idea about opiates, certainly zero tolerance. At this point in my life, I'd smoked pot a few times and drank alcohol plenty of times. Anyway, was hugely disappointing.

I think definitely make a tea- you need a LOT of opium to smoke it and even then, you really need to know what you're doing, both processing and smoking, if you actually want to feel a proper buzz.

If you have any plants that stand out from others in size, disease/ insect resistance and overall vigor don't score them and let them ripen to full maturity so the plant can make the best seeds possible, that is if your interested in propagating them next season.

It's def an acquired skill as TPD stated but giving smoking a try a least once is worth it. I had the best luck with a finger rolled pea dollop on cannabis ashes over two brass screens till I got the hang of it, it's a sticky, gooey mess, but the learning curve is fairly quick. You could get an alcohol lamp if you wanted to get all traditional. If you have a glass pipe you can heat the 90* sweep and smoke any that seeps through if that's a problem. On a side note, the Chinese used to love making a salad out of the leaves, it's not bad and something like a thousand year old tradition up until the last 100 years or so.

Good Luck!

th

I'll be planting more next year this was just a test batch and they turned out quite well, flower was a lovely colour and have very sturdy looking pods. I wasn't sure how hard it would be to grow. Wont score any now as I'll keep for seed and tea. Next year I'll have enough so I can try opium.

Thanks kindly for all the help and support.

That would be your best bet IMO. Enjoy!

They are super fun and pretty plants to cultivate :)

I've had great luck with Danish Flags and Hens & Chicks, the latter grows mini pods called "chicks" around the main pod, "the hen". They oooze forever and the mini pods are chock full of goodness for either type of use. If you see them available grab some seeds. If your into chemistry, Ion Exchange Resin can help you extract a high percentage of the latex without scraping or after scraping and from all the poppy straw.

Worthwhile reading! :

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0095955315332789

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1950-01-01_3_page004.html

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/362596-Pure-Morphine-From-Poppy-Pods

https://www.google.ch/patents/US6054584

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/thread...n-from-dried-poppy-pods-Please-help-I-m-stuck!

&

https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/dihydromorphinones.html

Not that I have an interest or anything ;)