• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion How to opt out of the NarX scoring system within the PMP system in your state.

RoaminW

Bluelighter
Go to “ optout.patientping.com “ and enter your info in the blanks and remove yourself from the NarX scoring system if your state uses that program within its PMP (prescription monitoring program). There is a drop down box where you find the hospital system you use in your area. That you can click on. You will need to find out what your MRN (medical number your doctor uses for you) because there’s a place where it needs to be entered. I don’t see specific doctors in the drop down box, nor does it seem to have every clinic in the country. I found the company that my insomnia doctor works for, but I couldn’t find the clinic that my general practitioner is in. You can also go to “ bamboohealth.com “ to get to the opt out web page. Bamboo is the private company that owns the very secretive algorithm that computes your scores.
You might want to do this quickly because I’m about to make a big stink about all of this and they might change the system to prevent patients from doing this. I strongly suggest that people that suffer from NarX score discrimination do this. Make a comment about if you were able to complete it or not, and if you found a way to enter a clinic that isn’t in the drop down list.

But if a doctor relies on such scores as part of their prescribing practices might it seem perhaps more suspicious to them that your data isn't available 🤔

Also, I wouldn't recommend making a big stink about something if all it does is have a potential negative impact on people in the future.

I think for context here is some information about these systems (though this is clearly in a negative light):

"Prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP) predictive surveillance platforms were designed for—and funded by—law enforcement agencies. PDMPs use proprietary algorithms to determine a patient’s risk for prescription drug misuse, diversion, and overdose. The proxies that PDMPs utilize to calculate patient risk scores likely produce artificially inflated scores for marginalized patients, including women and racial minorities with complex, pain-related conditions; poor, uninsured, under-insured, and rural individuals; and patients with co-morbid disabilities or diseases, including substance use disorder and mental health conditions.

Law enforcement conducts dragnet sweeps of PDMP data to target providers that the platform characterizes as “overprescribers” and patients that it deems as high risk of drug diversion, misuse, and overdose. Research demonstrates that PDMP risk scoring coerces clinicians to force medication tapering, discontinue prescriptions, and even abandon patients without regard for the catastrophic collateral consequences that attend to those treatment decisions. PDMPs, therefore, have the potential to exacerbate discrimination against patients with complex and stigmatized medical conditions by generating flawed, short-cut assessment tools that incentivize providers to deny these patients indicated treatment.

The Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is authorized to regulate PDMP predictive diagnostic software platforms as medical devices, and the agency recently issued guidance that provides a framework for such oversight. Thus far, however, the FDA has failed to regulate PDMP platforms. This Article contends that the FDA should exercise its regulatory authority over PDMP risk scoring software to ensure that such predictive diagnostic tools are safe and effective for patients."

Seems as though there are multiple PDMP systems.

Also how do you get your medical record # and I also want this request to cover all providers

I'm just going to send it old school registered mail to them.. and I'm going to sue them if they fucking don't comply.

Also how do you get your medical record # and I also want this request to cover all providers

I'm just going to send it old school registered mail to them.. and I'm going to sue them if they fucking don't comply.
Let me know how that goes with mailing it. One of the problems I’ve ran into is that they won’t say anything about anything on the phone unless you’re a doctor, pharmacist, cop with access, or state administrator.

But if a doctor relies on such scores as part of their prescribing practices might it seem perhaps more suspicious to them that your data isn't available 🤔

Also, I wouldn't recommend making a big stink about something if all it does is have a potential negative impact on people in the future.
Removing yourself from the NarX scoring system isn’t going to remove you from the PMP. Doctors and pharmacists will still be able to see what you’ve been prescribed, and who and when it was dispensed. The NarX system is where a score is tabulated. You will only be removing the scores that are tabulated from the main body of the PMP system. See?

I was thinking about bringing this to an old classmate of mine that works with malpractice and injury.. otherwise I can bring it to my normal civil woman.

I think for context here is some information about these systems (though this is clearly in a negative light):

"Prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP) predictive surveillance platforms were designed for—and funded by—law enforcement agencies. PDMPs use proprietary algorithms to determine a patient’s risk for prescription drug misuse, diversion, and overdose. The proxies that PDMPs utilize to calculate patient risk scores likely produce artificially inflated scores for marginalized patients, including women and racial minorities with complex, pain-related conditions; poor, uninsured, under-insured, and rural individuals; and patients with co-morbid disabilities or diseases, including substance use disorder and mental health conditions.

Law enforcement conducts dragnet sweeps of PDMP data to target providers that the platform characterizes as “overprescribers” and patients that it deems as high risk of drug diversion, misuse, and overdose. Research demonstrates that PDMP risk scoring coerces clinicians to force medication tapering, discontinue prescriptions, and even abandon patients without regard for the catastrophic collateral consequences that attend to those treatment decisions. PDMPs, therefore, have the potential to exacerbate discrimination against patients with complex and stigmatized medical conditions by generating flawed, short-cut assessment tools that incentivize providers to deny these patients indicated treatment.

The Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is authorized to regulate PDMP predictive diagnostic software platforms as medical devices, and the agency recently issued guidance that provides a framework for such oversight. Thus far, however, the FDA has failed to regulate PDMP platforms. This Article contends that the FDA should exercise its regulatory authority over PDMP risk scoring software to ensure that such predictive diagnostic tools are safe and effective for patients."

Seems as though there are multiple PDMP systems.
There are, but for Gods sake, for the 99th time…THE PMP SYSTEM IS ONE THING, THE NARX SCORING SYSTEM WITHIN THE PMP SYSTEM IS DONE BY A PRIVATE COMPANY THAT A STATE CHOOSES TO INCLUDE INTO THEIR PMP SYSTEM. NOT EVEN THE STATE KNOWS EXACTLY HOW THE SCORES ARE TABULATED. BAMBOO HEALTH HAS A PROPRIETARY LOCK ON HOW SCORES ARE TABULATED. IT IS A ALGORITHMIC SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN PATENTED.
Now…do you see the actual gravity of the problem?
I don’t have a problem with my states’ PMP system. I have a problem with my state sending private health information to a private company where the scores are figured that are then used to further discriminate against me. It’s akin to being forced to shoot yourself in your own foot!!!

Call your doctor and ask for it. It is just a number they attach to your file for their own use.

This is an interesting topic.

I think it might be difficult to sue for something like this. It's both private and anonymous data being used.

You can't exactly sue google or facebook because they sell your "unidentifiable" data to a 3rd company.

Even so... you are being given posession of a schedule 2 drug...and I wouldn't be surprised if you waive some rights by doing that.

This is an interesting topic.

I think it might be difficult to sue for something like this. It's both private and anonymous data being used.

You can't exactly sue google or facebook because they sell your "unidentifiable" data to a 3rd company.
I’ve thought about that. I don’t think it is anonymously given to the private company. They use too many personal things like age, criminal history, and a plethora of other things that create your scores. Besides, if that’s what they claim, I want to see proof! Their computer systems need to be inspected.