• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to manage opioid induced cognitive / memory impairment

madskr1

Greenlighter
Hello

So I've been using opioids for years, I used Tramadol for 4 years, at which point I had another pain syndrome incur, which forced me to go on to something stronger, I have been using moprhine for 3 years now, with very good disipline, reducing dependance several times, with several attempts of withdraw from this. I have slowly come to realize that I cannot stop using opioids while I live with chronic pain, and therefor, I have decided to devout my time instead of managing the side effects.

The biggest concern I have is cognitive impairment, I feel that my short term memory has gotten worse after iniating morphine to my daily regimen, and this is been the primary reason for the motivation of stop using said drug. I would like to find a way to manage my memory problems if possible.

I have been reading up on a dopamine agonist called Bromocriptine, which binds to dopamine receptors, if this drug is administered befor taking an opioid, is superseeds the affinity, and certain side affects can be avoided, including libido reduction.

I also believe that nitric oxide particals may be released in the brain as a side effect of using opioids, and that B12 will bind to ntiric oxide and expel it to urine.

Appriciating suggestons on the matter, thanks.

With most addiction the dopamine system gets absolutely fucked.

Think of drugs as magic, and there is always a price to the use of magic.

First I would start with some basics, like eating complete meals and taking a multi-vitamin. Extra magnesium wouldn't hurt, along with Vitamin D, calcium (Tums would be a good idea) and B-vitamins.

Beyond this, you could use a variety of nootropics.

Uridine and CDP-Choline would help to bolster the dopamine system.

Memantine would help keep tolerance low and repeated use can boost cognition.

Then you could throw on some choline supplements like Alpha-GPC and Coluracetam.

Hope that helps :)

You can train your memory just like you can train a muscle. What i mean is that if you want your memory to get better maybe try doing daily memory exercise.

I'd recommend lecithin (choline and inositol, mostly) as a good supplement for greater mental suppleness when using drugs. And daily intellectual challenges.

I'm interested to know, though, what the pathway of opiate-induced memory impairment is. PubMed here I come.

Work your brain like its a muscle.. lumosity etc. Make sure you are taking all necessary micronutrients. exercise. With this you will likely be better off then most non users.

Just a heads up chronic opiate treatment for pain does not work, it makes things much worse.

I too have been using opiates for years, as well as benzos (which, as we all know, mess with one's memory big-time) and in my earlier years i smoked a lot of weed which, as we all know, also has serious implications for memory.

I worry A LOT about my cognitive functioning, and what scares me the most is that I could have degenerated both memory and cognitive ability and have absolutely no idea. I know they say ignorance is bliss, but in this case, that adage provides no relief at all.

The one shining light in this dark tunnel is the progress being made in the area of neuroplasticity. It seems we can improve our cognitive function, and , one could reasonably assume, memory too.

I'd like to know the best way to "exercise" my brain. I read, I write (not just on BL), I engage with intelligent people about interesting topics...but I don't know if it's enough.

Neversickanymore mentioned Lumosity. Do those programs/apps/whatever-you-call-them really work? 'Cause I'm a cynic and I don't want to be ripped off and coerced by slick advertising which is preying on my (justified) fears.

Has anyone tried 'em?

peace :)

Problem solving like lumosity will help with aspects. Taking up a new activity that has new and complex movements like dance or a martial art. Taking different routes then our routine as far as driving routes or any habits really. engaging in new entertainment rather then watching/listening to all the things we love. Taking up a musical instrument or a complex game like chess. Meditation. Reading or taking interesting class. Anything where you are engaged, learning and thinking.

I believe these would all have a noticeable positive effect.

Last edited:
Agmatine can hinder tolerance development and regulate nitric oxide levels. I am about to try it for its possible benefits while I am using suboxone. Nootropics like aniracetam and piracetam can help with this as well, use a choline supplement such as lecithin as well.