• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to improve bioavailability of N-acetylcysteine

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
There is very exciting new evidence for the use of N-acetylcysteine as an antioxidant with robust improvements in several neurological / psychiatric disorders like depression, anxiety, chronic stress / fatigue etc. Oh, and it was shown to protect against toxic / oxidative changes to DA neurons from methamphetamine etc. and possibly reduces tolerance development and overall after effects from psychostimulants.

Source: N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry: current therapeutic evidence and potential mechanisms of action
N-acetylcysteine (NAC) in neurological disorders: mechanisms of action and therapeutic opportunities

But this compound has a really poor oral bioavailability of just 9-10% which severely limits its use.

Low bioavailability of NAC is one of the major limitations for maximizing its effects on oxidative stress-related diseases. Giustarini et al. (2012) reported that esterification of the carboxyl group of NAC to produce N-acetylcysteine ethyl ester (NACET) would increase the lipophilicity of NAC as the mechanism of increasing its pharmacokinetics. They showed that NACET is rapidly absorbed in rats after oral administration, but reaches very low concentrations in plasma. This is due to a unique feature of NACET: it rapidly enters the cells and transforms into NAC and cysteine (Giustarini et al. 2012). After oral treatment, NACET (but not NAC) was able to increase significantly the GSH content of most tissues in the rat (including brain), and protected them from paracetamol intoxication. To overcome this limitation of NAC, an amide derivative, N-acetylcysteine amide (NACA) has been synthesized to improve its lipophilicity, membrane permeability, and antioxidant properties. Recent studies have demonstrated the blood–brain barrier permeability and therapeutic potentials of NACA in neurological disorders (Sunitha et al. 2013).
(from the second publication) How could one improve the NAC molecule to achieve a better tolerability and bioavailability, e.g. over a prodrug? And how about the BBB permeability?

Last edited:
Take more of it? The Wikipedia page says it can be administered in large doses without too much trouble. I don't think you can do much about BBB permeability except hope that it's a substrate of one of the amino acid transporters. As you modify the molecule more you (probably) decrease its affinity for getting oxidised back into its useful state by gluthathione reductase. So that's the compromise. You want to design a molecule that metabolises into an effective reducing agent (like GSR) but the agent gets recycled easily. To do this you'd need to do the usual and find out what substitutions make the molecule more lipophilic for increased stomach absorption but keep it a good substrate at the amino acid transporters, GSR and make sure the molecule is not hindered in reducing whatever it needs to reduce. You could go on to make it super lipophilic but that would mean the molecule would go everywhere and not be selective. If the advantages of this drug are hindered so much by the bioavailability then I don't see why IV administration is not an option.

I've seen the suggestion of administration with ascorbic acid as a sacrificial antioxidant to allow more meaningful quantities of NAC to be absorbed. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that, but it's a tool in the toolbox.

Last edited:
If the advantages of this drug are hindered so much by the bioavailability then I don't see why IV administration is not an option.
Because it's required to be taken 2-3x daily and over an extended period of time, possibly permanent, to exhibit these beneficial effects ... the IV route is a good way for e.g. acetaminophen overdose, but you can't do that in everyday life ;)

But thanks for your answers, I'll look into ascorbic acid and as NAC seems to be pretty safe overall (and I tolerate it well, I don't get any of the adverse effects like nausea or even rash) I'll maybe try dosing higher ... are there any dangers beyond the gastric disturbances which maybe can be avoided by splitting the dosage and/or taking it with food?

Interesting is that I've realised it to alleviate some of the side effects of dissociatives. I can't put my finger on it yet, but it's very interesting and might well prove all these findings. The downside is that one needs to dose slightly higher on dissociatives. But one will probably get much less negative effects and potential risks for that. The most curious thing is that from DXM I sometimes get a bit of dry cough (! this has been reported by others too) and NAC resolves that!

Last edited:
People IV insulin everyday because they need it and the benefits outweigh the risks that come with this ROA. If you feel the benefits outweigh them here then there is no reason not to use IV. But first try just upping the dosage orally.

Status epilepticus after a massive intravenous N-acetylcysteine overdose leading to intracranial hypertension and death.

Cases of N-acetylcysteine overdose have been reported before. In some cases, these overdoses have led to death if an anaphylactoid reaction was present. A healthy 30-month-old girl allegedly ingested acetaminophen at 418 mg/kg. Because the emergency physician feared the time of ingestion might not be accurate, he decided to start the 20.5-hour intravenous N-acetylcysteine protocol 8 hours after ingestion. He mistakenly prescribed the maximum milliliter-per-kilogram volume of the dextrose 5% diluent for the milliliter-per-kilogram volume of N-acetylcysteine 20% to be administered. Five hours after the error was detected (19.5 hours postingestion), the patient started developing myoclonus on the left side of her body, with left eye deviation. This condition persisted intermittently for 3 hours despite treatment with diazepam, lorazepam, and phenytoin. A first computed tomographic scan result was normal. A few hours later, she sustained shorter recurrences of the myoclonus. At 30 hours after ingestion, she started to have irregular breathing and became unresponsive to pain. A repeated computed tomographic scan showed diffuse cerebral edema. A postmortem examination showed the presence of acute anoxic encephalopathy with marked cerebral edema and the beginning of uncal herniation that confirmed the clinical diagnosis of intracranial hypertension and brain death. A cumulative intravenous dose of 2,450 mg/kg of N -acetylcysteine was associated with status epilepticus, intracranial hypertension, and death in a child.

Does this mean 2450mg/kg -> leading to the crazy dosage of over 170g when calculated to my weight!?

Yeah, but you have to keep in mind that it's a 30 month old girl, so the weight is a lot smaller. At first I read that it was a 30 YEAR old "girl", so I thought what the hell, 25 g of paracetamol? Anyway, 2.5 g/kg is still a very high dose, I think the usual dosage is around or less than 500 mg/kg.

After oral treatment, NACET (but not NAC) was able to increase significantly the GSH content of most tissues in the rat (including brain), and protected them from paracetamol intoxication.
NACET sounds already good enough, doesn't it? As far as I can tell, this is everything you could possibly ask for from a prodrug, plus even more: NACET itself never reaches a high plasma concentration. I can't even imagine improving on it.

furious scribbling

Screen_Shot_2015_11_11_at_12_20_38_PM.png

Maybe this? It should cleave even faster. Might be destroyed in the stomach, though. It turns out these 5-oxazolidinones aren't hard to make, though, which is sort of cool.

Last edited:
Don't see why the above should be cleaved in the stomach. I don't think this is a good prodrug for the following reason: I think most ester hydrolysis reactions happen in the liver where the most esterases are. Why do you expect the above molecule to cleave even faster, and why does it even cleave itself?

This needs 2 metabolic steps to cleave. The first metabolic reaction would be to hydrolyse the cyclic ester, and this would be more unfavourable relative to an acyclic ester. Cyclic esters (lactones) are more stable because their formation is more entropically favourable; when they are hydrolysed, there is only one product rather than 2 with normal acyclic hydrolysis. The latter procedure would increase entropy (2 molecules from one means a more disordered system) thus pushing the equilibrium to the hydrolysis side, but as one can see this is not the case with the lactones. And this is the product:

N-acetyl-N-hydroxymethylcysteine.png

Then the enzymes would now need to cleave the N-hydroxymethyl group (probably CYP mediated) to finally give N-acetylcysteine. In fact, the enzymes might actually oxidise the alcohol instead of cleave that group so you might not even get any NAC at all.

Last but not least, the cyclic molecule would have a lower logP than NACET reducing absorption. I just don't see how the above could be a good prodrug.

What you want for this prodrug is a high logP and obviously the masked carboxylic acid which should be easy to unmask in the liver only. And finally the leaving group should be non-toxic and polar enough to be easily excretable therefore. So you want something kind of reactive but not too reactive. Here is my idea:
N-acetylcysteine%204-chlorophenyl%20ester.png

Rationale: very high logP. Good absorption from the stomach. A nitro group instead of the chloro would make for a pretty good leaving group (4-nitrophenoxide) but at the cost of a much reduced logP (nitro groups are pretty polar). Also, I thought the nitro derivative might just be too reactive and start reacting with water as it is in the stomach itself. But that can't be too bad as you'll just get NAC and the possibly toxic leaving group.

So the compromise is the chlorine derivative instead. Significantly increases logP on the ring while also withdrawing electron density from the ring to make it a better leaving group, although less so than nitro. Hopefully this one will only react with the help of liver esterases.

If you'd want to go further then just design many ester analogues but the key points to keep in mind here are:

1. High logP derivative
2. Once in the liver, the moiety gets cleaved easily, but it can't be too reactive such that it reacts in the stomach.
3. The moiety must be non-toxic and therefore have metabolical labilities which result in increased polarity for easy excretion and must not pose any obvious toxicity risks (e.g alkylating agent though I doubt this would happen here as the leaving moiety would anyway have to be a weak base and thus a weak nucleophile).

Last edited:
I may have missed something, but what exactly is the problem here? The article quoted in OP already describes a good derivative, which does what the OP is looking for, am I wrong? I personally would probably stick to ethyl or isopropyl ester, because the physiological effects of those leaving groups are very well known as opposed to something less known. The way I see it NACET already sounds good enough and I don't think there can be much done to further improve it while still being cost effective.

The discussion is becoming very interesting actually, I can learn much from that ;) not that I'm going to wildly try some novel derivates anytime soon, and I hope nobody else will, but it's certainly truly interesting matter and maybe we'll really find some promising candidate?

Right, if the esterase somehow doesn't accept the nucleus of the above molecules described, it can be generated in an alternate way with where a more preferred nucleus can be made which will fit nicely into the active site. Furthermore, this nucleus can be altered to make it more selective to liver esterases but resist acid catalysed stomach hydrolysis.

(4-chlorobenzoyl)oxymethyl-(2R)-2-acetamido-3-sulfanylpropanoate.png

The 4-chlorophenyl group can be replaced with other moieties which are of similar lipophilicity but confer selectivity to esterases in the liver as described above. Any suggestions of other groups are welcome. Here is the proposed mechanism of NAC generation...

-After the molecule diffuses into circulation and reaches the liver, the esterase hydrolyses the 4-chlorobenzoyloxy moiety to give this as a side product:
4-chlorobenzoic%20acid.png

...and this:
hydroxymethyl-(2R)-2-acetamido-3-sulfanylpropanoate.png

This latter molecule then breaks into formaldehyde and NAC by itself as shown below (Opsin draws formaldehyde in a very unusual way indeed):
formaldehyde.png

(2R)-2-acetamido-3-sulfanylpropanoic%20acid.png

Aced, that is an interesting proposition, but I don't understand the need for it. Actually, I don't even understand the problem here, so could somebody please educate me? The quote from an article in the OP already states that "They showed that NACET is rapidly absorbed in rats after oral administration, but reaches very low concentrations in plasma. This is due to a unique feature of NACET: it rapidly enters the cells and transforms into NAC and cysteine" and "After oral treatment, NACET (but not NAC) was able to increase significantly the GSH content of most tissues in the rat (including brain), and protected them from paracetamol intoxication.". Well that is it, isn't it? You've got your increased absorption and liver hydrolysis that is fast enough.

What could warrant the use of such a complicated pro-drug like you describe, aced? After hydrolysis you get p-chlorobenzoic acid and formaldehyde, neither of which are particularly desirable. Not to mention that the synthesis and related costs would be harder/higher compared to simpler protecting groups. Why not just use an ethyl, isopropyl or hell, tert-butyl ester?

True I guess lol... Maybe this action of hydrolysis will be found useful in other prodrugs

interesting, I have just posted a new thread asking why n acetyl cysteine amide isn't more popular. However, it got know responses yet. Hope you could answer it hear. NACA seams far better than NAC, it can directly regenerate reduced/active glutathione, unlike NAC which acts simply as a cysteine prodrug and GSH precursa. I wonder if NACA is not all its cranked up to be, as it makes little sence why researchers are making ester forms if the amide is so good.

The amide (NACA) is supposed to be a prodrug to NAC, which is a prodrug to cysteine/GSH. The reason NACA and NACET (ethyl ester) are interesting is because they don't get catabolized in the stomach and so on, and are able to enter cells before being destroyed; thus being prodrugs for NAC they're just a more effective way of restoring GSH than just NAC which gets destroyed a lot if taken orally.

With all that, honestly I don't know why NACA/NACET aren't more popular and why NAC is still used instead of them. There should be no real difference between the amide and ester pharmacodynamically, as they're both merely pro-drugs; but the amide is way more stable, so it can diffuse farther into the body (different pharmacokinetics).

Neuroprotection, I can't answer your PM as you've a full inbox. I will post a reply to your PM as soon as you've some free space.