• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How to Handle an Annoying Co-worker

Lovecraft

Bluelighter
Co-worker, early 30’s, male, dorky and awkward, is somehow the supervisor's favorite. She goes on vacation and tells him to make sure the ship keeps running smoothly while she's gone. Of course, it totally goes to his head and he's being a dick about it. He sees it as an opportunity to redeem his fragile sense of self by playing boss. Finally, he's somebody in a world that looked down on him his whole life for having traits like being a bit cross eyed and slightly effiminate. And a life of social castigation and rejection has left him desperately clinging to this one chance at feeling significant and in control.

It's really pissing me off though. Especially because nothing can be done about it since nobody gives a shit if a coworker is just being an asshole. As long as they're doing what's being asked of them and not breaking any labor laws, nobody wants to know about it. But it's really getting under my skin.

The thing is, me and the smooth-faced geek started at the same time and were pretty much on par with each other in being knowledgeable and depended upon. But I had a family medical emergency that required I take a leave of absence for a few weeks and in that time I got behind. So I'm playing catch-up. Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried this with me.

Am I just making more of an issue than it needs to be and/or taking it overly personal? Should I just ignore it?

Thank you for any help untwisting my thinking.

I set up annoying co workers....

Yeah yeah yeah, thats a really good idea man (knowing his idea is fucked and he will fuck up).

As for a power hungry boss. I tell them to fuck off or else I will quit with no notice. They usually leave me alone.

Co-worker, early 30’s, male, dorky and awkward, is somehow the supervisor's favorite. She goes on vacation and tells him to make sure the ship keeps running smoothly while she's gone. Of course, it totally goes to his head and he's being a dick about it. He sees it as an opportunity to redeem his fragile sense of self by playing boss. Finally, he's somebody in a world that looked down on him his whole life for having traits like being a bit cross eyed and slightly effiminate. And a life of social castigation and rejection has left him desperately clinging to this one chance at feeling significant and in control.

It's really pissing me off though. Especially because nothing can be done about it since nobody gives a shit if a coworker is just being an asshole. As long as they're doing what's being asked of them and not breaking any labor laws, nobody wants to know about it. But it's really getting under my skin.

The thing is, me and the smooth-faced geek started at the same time and were pretty much on par with each other in being knowledgeable and depended upon. But I had a family medical emergency that required I take a leave of absence for a few weeks and in that time I got behind. So I'm playing catch-up. Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried this with me.

Am I just making more of an issue than it needs to be and/or taking it overly personal? Should I just ignore it?

Thank you for any help untwisting my thinking.

I'd probably make some notes on his behaviour, but let it slide.

The guy is probably going for a promotion, nothing wrong with that.

Everywhere I've been, there's been a guy like that. Look, that type will throw you under the bus if you go against him openly, without hesitation.
You either have to be fucking stealthy about it, or just let it be. Either way; do you job, behave around him, make him feel like you got his back.
Best thing is when they decide to try an idea you know will backlash, most people on power-trips to that.

As for what you could do, I have to get a little more info. What line of work`?
If it's retail, it's real easy fucking shit up for him. Office-spaces, a bit harder, but def doable.

A classic is laxatives in his coffee. That humbles the worst of them; just check for security-cameras.

I got a few computer-savvy friends to send emails to my workplaces inbox (retail, electronics) and the "complaints" section in the local news paper, making up stories perverted enough to believe.
One of'em made it into the local news-paper about him scamming an elderly couple, tricking them into signing up for a creditcard.

I left an USB-drive with "malware" ( a simple script erasing everything on the computer; once again, computer-savvy friends) on a dicks desk (again, make sure no cameras sees you).

Phish his password to Facebook if he's got anyone from work on their, find a secure location and _tear_him_up.

Or simply walk away, but really, how fun is that?

Just accept there are insufferable sycophantic climbers in the world and your job is no exception.

Just stick to your own job, do your job exactly to the letter as much as you can and keep away from the douchebag as much as possible. Don't talk to them, don't be rude, just pretend they do not exist. Catch up with your work and dont feel you need to explain anything to him because you don't.

Most of all do not do any of their job for them if they aren't doing it, dont fall into the trap if work bitchiess no matter how tempting as if you do nothing wrong and rise above it they will be v annoyed