View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! How to grow mushrooms

Hi, what do you mean piss poor?
Contaminated? Not enough spores?

All I ever got was a five pence peice sized patch of white in the substrate - I don't think it was the substrate as I could grow them no problem 10 years ago. So it must be the spore syringes that are crap.

All I ever got was a five pence peice sized patch of white in the substrate - I don't think it was the substrate as I could grow them no problem 10 years ago. So it must be the spore syringes that are crap.
Could be, could be contamination.

You can buy properly sterilised substrate that comes in sealed bags with air filtered air ports and an injection port from the sister shops that many spore shops have.

It's done that way because you can't legally have one shop selling you all you need to grow psychedelic mushrooms.

Well I just started soaking my birthing cakes. Tomorrow ill put them in the fruiting chamber. Excited to participate in the process.

Also if the fruiting cakes smelled bad once I take them out of the jar just toss them ? What happens if you try to fruit them in that state? Would the shrooms still grow and have a weird fungus on them ? What would happen if you ate them? Would there be reduced potency or would they just make you sick ?
I was originally going to use the PF Tek method in high school which is longer ago than anyone wants to know or so lol then I discovered the mono tub method and sterilized grain bags to inoculate. Based on my record of success I have to say this is a winning method and so convenient buying a prepackaged bag to shoot up colonizing Tidal Wave now in a Sterlite tub the mycelium fully developed quick seemed slow then it exploded the horse manure substrate seems to be colonizing rapidly these don’t seem to be hesitating to grow haha temperature is naturally perfect here don’t really need to adjust it perfect timing lol

I was recently introduced from a local grow shop to fruiting bags but I am thinking no way can you harvest a mono tub sized yield from one of those bags but no maintenance

Now these Mexican subtropicalis don’t like dung but the grow bag substrate is actually dung free just not sure I want to do it for some reason I might just for convenience one step grows in the same bag that gets inoculated we shall sea

🌊

Edit: Substrate in mono tub of sterilized horse manure (from Maine lol) looks fully colonized not seeing pins yet now it seems super slow hesitating I jinxed it man hoping to see pins any day now anyways that’s enough from me about growing I am totally on board with legalization and support the 920 movement in Cali

Last edited:
Hey all. Last year an old friend of mine had some "Chinese gold caps" and I was lucky enough to have an amazing spiritual experience through these. I recently want to experience that again , although I know little to nothing about shrooms in depth.

I have been really depressed lately. I remember weeks / months after this spiritual experience I was happy for the first time in many , many years .

I recently have started seeing spore kits for sale and would VERY much appreciate some wisdom and knowledge from some of you fine folks below is what I am curious about.

1. Are psilocybin mushrooms are somewhat the same or are there varied strains etc that have different effects? If so, what are the different strains and their corresponding effects and what strain usually accompanies "Chinese gold caps"
2. How would I go about getting spores / a guide to grow this strain "theoretically of course "
3. Thank you so much , I appreciate your knowledge more than you know .
4. What the total cost and investment time and money wise would be for this endeavor . What the chances of success are.
You can use mushrooms that you buy off someone to eat instead of spores online. Shrooms usually sold for like the same price as high grade weed. Unless there’s a lot of them. Like ten bucks a gram. But this was 15 years ago.

You actually don’t need anything at all to grow them out side, they are a fungi, they weren’t necessarily hard to grow but you just didn’t want mold forming but mold may form as well.

You can squirt it on any wood and it will eat at the wood, the wood just may be pretreated with chemicals that prevent it from living on it. You can just squirt the spores on the ground or extract them from a shrooms and possibly just rub the mushroom on places. Like you can walk into the woods and just squirt them on sticks on the ground or on tree trunks or roots, but the mushrooms will continue eating the tree. You can probably just squirt them on grass but grass gets cut. If none grows then there was no spores there.

But indoor mushroom growing you just have to inoculate a jar or bag and then you put it in a tray and you don’t need a light, in it, I would just use a box with vent holes and avoid light getting through and run fresh air from fans through it, but they will grow under like beds or places but that’s not optimal conditions.

Fungi absorbs oxygen or uses it. So you may want a tank or concentrator. But not necessary.

Other bacteria may try and get into the jar, bag, or in the tray so that’s why you have to clean but you don’t want to kill the fungi. So a uvc bulb near it but not shining on the mushrooms or tray.

You also want a high humidity and to spray them with a little water. Unless you have a certain humidifier, that boils the water. Other wise they may need a lot of misting or airflow so it can evaporate, you don’t necessarily want them to get wet or it doesn’t matter.

You want a spring temp in there like 60s to lower 70s.

And you can keep using the same culture medium until nothing grows or until it’s gone, the entire thing of wheat, rice, berries or whatever gets like slowly eaten or turned into the mushrooms. I knew this guy who hated his neighbor and he squirted spores on the wood board at the foundation of the houses and shrooms started growing off of it. “Tyler you ruined this friendship now we can’t hang out here anymore”.

You could possibly just do it in a bag and spray water in it and then fill the bag with oxygen every so often and maybe check it with an oxygen detector. It takes like a few weeks to a month for them to grow. Maybe like in two weeks.

I threw up on shrooms one time and shrooms started growing out of them.

Ingesting fungi could be dangerous it may eat you and turn you into shrooms as well.

Could be, could be contamination.

You can buy properly sterilised substrate that comes in sealed bags with air filtered air ports and an injection port from the sister shops that many spore shops have.

It's done that way because you can't legally have one shop selling you all you need to grow psychedelic mushrooms.

Yeah they're the ones I buy - no contamination just not enough spores in the syringe to grow enough mycelium might try again tho, I miss shrooms.

Even if you just use the entire syringe?
Yeah I ended up even putting 2 full syringes in one bag and still only getting a 5 pence sized growth - never any contaminants just a bit of growth then it stopped growing. That was with those bags you buy with the self-healing injector ports. I must have spent £300 on bags and spores syringes none of them did anything but a tiny bit of mycelium.

Yeah I ended up even putting 2 full syringes in one bag and still only getting a 5 pence sized growth - never any contaminants just a bit of growth then it stopped growing. That was with those bags you buy with the self-healing injector ports. I must have spent £300 on bags and spores syringes none of them did anything but a tiny bit of mycelium.
Hmmm... expired spores, perhaps ?

Yeah they're the ones I buy - no contamination just not enough spores in the syringe to grow enough mycelium might try again tho, I miss shrooms.
What I do is I go from spore syringes to jars of liquid culture.

Just distilled water and a bit of light malt extract in the jars, LME will be 5% by weight.

Sterilise the jar in a 15PSI pressure cooker, 150 minutes total time.

Lid of the jar will have a slot covered in micropore tape for air exchange and a hole filled with silicone as an injection port.

Let it cool off inject and keep it in a dark box at about 24-25C, swirl it once per day without wetting the breathing port.

Few weeks and there are tons on mycelium suspended in the liquid, use a 18g needle (more like an harpoon) to extract and inject in the bag.

Colonisation is faster when starting from liquid cultures made this way.

Hmmm... expired spores, perhaps ?
I’ve had syringes go 5 years with no problem. Refrigerate and never allow to freeze gets 2-5 years in 99% of cases.

One question here…. I ask it a lot IRL but why use the bags when you can do everything yourself? Same as kits.

I’ve had syringes go 5 years with no problem. Refrigerate and never allow to freeze gets 2-5 years in 99% of cases.

One question here…. I ask it a lot IRL but why use the bags when you can do everything yourself? Same as kits.
It's just simpler for beginners. Also the bags mean there's less chance of getting bacteria in there.
I was tempted to use jars and making my own vermiculite but I think the first few times the bags will be safer.
Once I've a a couple of grows under my belt, I'll try using the jars ànd my own spores and agar/vermiculite.
Sound good!

It's just simpler for beginners. Also the bags mean there's less chance of getting bacteria in there.
I was tempted to use jars and making my own vermiculite but I think the first few times the bags will be safer.
Once I've a a couple of grows under my belt, I'll try using the jars ànd my own spores and agar/vermiculite.
Sound good!
This sounds like a good plan. Once you know what to expect and gain basic experience it will get easier and easier, just like most learned skills 👍

Did you use heat mats?

Sound good!
I misunderstood my friend… I thought you were buying the bags ready mixed with injection port and spore syringe (kit in a way). Not using your own. Sorry about that… I’m sure you are in good practice! I just don’t like seeing people order the ready made stuff. Or I should say I hate seeing people ripped off because some grow kits work ok. I do almost all of my edibles in bags. Everything except Cords.

I still do find jars to be easier but I can’t fit as much in my PC. So happy to see happy cultivators.