• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How to Get High on Soil

Bluelight Crew
M. vaccae, a living creature that resides in your backyard compost pile, acts like a mind-altering drug once it enters the human body, functioning like antidepressant pills to boost your mood.

I'm holding a bowl of dirt up to my nose, in hopes of getting high on the fumes of my backyard compost pile. The microbe that I'm after today is M. vaccae, a living creature that acts like a mind-altering drug once it enters the human body. It has been shown to boost the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine circulating in the systems of both humans and mice. In other words, it works in much the same manner as antidepressant pills. And yes, it is possible to dose yourself by simply breathing in the smell of good dirt.

The drug-like effects of this soil bacteria were discovered, quite by accident, about a decade ago. A doctor named Mary O'Brien created a serum out of the bacteria and gave it to lung-cancer patients, in hopes that it might boost their immune systems. Instead, she noticed another effect: The hospital patients perked up. They reported feeling happier and suffered from less pain than the patients who did not receive doses of bacteria. Further studies in mice confirmed the mood-boosting effect of the soil bugs.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...et-high-on-soil/251935/#.T0KTJRN7A-c.facebook

Very interesting.
I have heard people who grow veggies talk about how good it feels, but I always thought it was just eating the veggies once they were finished.
Now I know!

(Meanwhile, the conservative types are thinking: Time to outlaw bacteria.)

Yeah, I cant see anything good coming from huffing bacteria.

Damn when are the lawmakers going to get around to banning all forms of dirt already! Not just the nice looking stuff you have out in your back yard but also that harder dirt that has been compacted over the years and is probably 10000000 times stronger then regular dirt. Won't they please think of the children! :!

On a less sarcastic note doesn't this kind of bacteria cause TB? If that's the case i wouldn't really want to be trying to breathe it in.

^Yeah, it's clearly harmless or horticulturalists would be dropping like flies. I'm sure it's like E.coli where there's numerous strains, some dangerous, most not. I little more reading shows it's thought to work by inducing neurogenesis of neurons that produce serotonin and norepinephrine. The "high" lasts a week after injection in mice. Now to find some purified bugs and mainline that shit.

When they paint it in the light "it gets you high" then it's evil but instead "it gets you high but helps cancer patients" then its ok. Why is it against the law to feel good?

^Lots of reasons. I think mostly because it's a shortcut to contentment. It's a threat to the economy, and more, religion, if the general populace can achieve bliss -- or in the case of psychedelics, even spiritual contentment -- without regular work or worship. Sure some make drugs part of their religious practices, but why would a new generation when they can get straight to it? Prohibition of alcohol was a religious movement.

In addition, alcohol is of course a genuinely destructive drug, and I think all recreational substances got a bad reputation by association with its history. Anything new gets banned because we're afraid of another alcohol, or another 19th century Chinese opium situation. Nip it in the bud so to speak. Also, drugs are supposed to be specific and have as few side effects as possible (and we pay a lot for people to make such drugs). Recreational drugs help people get through all kinds of pains, making them a threat to the pharmaceutical industry. Now (according to what I've heard, at least) countries like Ireland are making laws that basically say, "if you like it, and it's a chemical, it's illegal" under the guise of circumventing designer drug manufactures' strategies. It's truly frightening that a first world government would outlaw their own people from a means to a whole realm of experience based not on any evidence of significant dangers but just because it makes people feel good. It's even scarier their people let them get away with it. It's ironic that defeating any legislation like this in the near future will likely succeed largely because of religious arguments (as with ayahuasca and peyote for members of specific religions).

It's really too bad this "getting high on soil" thing isn't really a contender for a recreational substance. Being able to get high relatively safely on dirt or grass clippings or something is sort of what we need to fuck over the law.

Last edited:
"has shown that when Mycobacterium vaccae was injected into mice, it stimulated some growth of neurons. It also increased levels of serotonin and decreased levels of anxiety"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_vaccae (from wikipedia)

Lol, i should huff loads of soil + do my e-diet, new dose will be like 60-80mg for me then for mdma hahaha

I wonder if this is why 'Bottle Diggers' enjoy their hobby ????

Last edited: