• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction How to flush SSRIs out of my system fast?

TheSieferts

Greenlighter
Prozac (10mg) and Abilify (20mg) are the medications I'm on. I take them once a day. I was on them for 5 weeks.

I hit the pupils dilating and burst of energy symptoms I believe for soratonin syndrome. So I stopped taking the SSRIs.

Tried to take something to lighten the mood 5 days after I stopped taking them and nothing happened. Like 2gs of molly and absolutely nothing happened. Except for hyper-focus concentration and elevated body temp. Kind of feels like taking Ritalin.

How do I restore my seratonin & Dopamine levels in my brain so that I can safely enjoy molly without causing further harm to my brain?

Last edited:
Using MDMA after experience bouts of Serotonin Syndrome is a terrible idea. I would recommend taking a hard break from all SSRis and Stimulants for now. Start taking L-Tyrosine (1000mgs) for the first couple of weeks. Then only after a couple of weeks of NOT using any SSRis, add 5-HTP (100mgs) into the mix. Then continue this combo for several weeks.

Word of caution though, don't start taking 5-HTP right away, or you'll end up with a Serotonin Syndrome rerun. 5-HTP and SSRis/MAOIs can be a lethal combination. So give yourself a couple of weeks off the Prozac first.

Also Abilify should not be taken with SSRIs. I would highly recommend replacing it with the supplement Myo-Inositol (8-12grams) per day. It's a super supplement for mood regulation without any of the undesired side effects.

L-Theanine (400-600mgs) per day will also help to relax you. It's a glutamate antagonist and naturally helps to increase GABA levels.

400mgs of Chelated Magnesium everyday would also be beneficial for you, as it acts as a natural Calcium Channel Inhibitor and will slow down the release of neurotransmitters binding to your receptors too quickly too soon. This can help prevent the occurrence of Serotonin Syndrome from occurring again.

But for the love of god man, don't use MDMA so soon after experiencing Serotonin Syndrome side effects. That is not a solution and at 2 whole grams you're playing a very dangerous game. Give the stimulants a rest and follow the above instructions.

The L-Tyrosine, Myo-Inositol and L-Theanine can be used right away, but wait a couple of weeks before adding 5-HTP into the mix and avoid the use of any SSRIs, Stimulants (especially MDMA) and anti-psychotics in the mean time.

Give it several weeks and see how you get on.

Well for one, 2gs of mdma is way too much to take at any time, especially if you stopped taking your depression meds for fear of serotonin syndrome.

Try L-Tryptophan and L-Phenalynine supplements to restore serotonin and dopamine respectively.

Oh also, in regards to your other questions, the only thing that will get your serotonin levels back to unmedicated levels is time. It may take up to a month after stopping SSRIs before you can roll effectively. It could be more, could be less, considering you were only on them for 5 weeks. But I believe that is the standard amount of time.

Well for one, 2gs of mdma is way too much to take at any time, especially if you stopped taking your depression meds for fear of serotonin syndrome.

Try L-Tryptophan and L-Phenalynine supplements to restore serotonin and dopamine respectively.
I took the 2gs over the course of 4 hours. With the intention that stacking would prolong the enlightenment.

Using MDMA after experience bouts of Serotonin Syndrome is a terrible idea. I would recommend taking a hard break from all SSRis and Stimulants for now. Start taking L-Tyrosine (1000mgs) for the first couple of weeks. Then only after a couple of weeks of NOT using any SSRis, add 5-HTP (100mgs) into the mix. Then continue this combo for several weeks.

Word of caution though, don't start taking 5-HTP right away, or you'll end up with a Serotonin Syndrome rerun. 5-HTP and SSRis/MAOIs can be a lethal combination. So give yourself a couple of weeks off the Prozac first.

Also Abilify should not be taken with SSRIs. I would highly recommend replacing it with the supplement Myo-Inositol (8-12grams) per day. It's a super supplement for mood regulation without any of the undesired side effects.

L-Theanine (400-600mgs) per day will also help to relax you. It's a glutamate antagonist and naturally helps to increase GABA levels.

400mgs of Chelated Magnesium everyday would also be beneficial for you, as it acts as a natural Calcium Channel Inhibitor and will slow down the release of neurotransmitters binding to your receptors too quickly too soon. This can help prevent the occurrence of Serotonin Syndrome from occurring again.

But for the love of god man, don't use MDMA so soon after experiencing Serotonin Syndrome side effects. That is not a solution and at 2 whole grams you're playing a very dangerous game. Give the stimulants a rest and follow the above instructions.

The L-Tyrosine, Myo-Inositol and L-Theanine can be used right away, but wait a couple of weeks before adding 5-HTP into the mix and avoid the use of any SSRIs, Stimulants (especially MDMA) and anti-psychotics in the mean time.

Give it several weeks and see how you get on.
Will taking these keep my schizoeffective disorder in check? I get severe mood swings. Stims seem to be the only thing that calm me down when I'm in a mood. I don't get overly emotionally excited one way or another. It just tends to regulate whatever it is that's becoming unbalanced.

Why is that?

Prozac (10mg) and Abilify (20mg) are the medications I'm on. I take them once a day. I was on them for 5 weeks.

I hit the pupils dilating and burst of energy symptoms I believe for soratonin syndrome. So I stopped taking the SSRIs.

Tried to take something to lighten the mood 5 days after I stopped taking them and nothing happened. Like 2gs of molly and absolutely nothing happened. Except for hyper-focus concentration and elevated body temp. Kind of feels like taking Ritalin.

How do I restore my seratonin & Dopamine levels in my brain so that I can safely enjoy molly without causing further harm to my brain?
You can't restore seratonin and dopamine while taking abilify, abilify blocks seratonin, also 20mg results in an dopamine receptor occupancy rate upto 90%, your dopamine activity is significantly reduced. No supplement is going to counteract that.

Dilated pupils and a burst of energy isn't serotonin syndrome...

Taking 2g of molly (assuming it was MDMA or some analog) would be pretty bad for the brain even if you weren't taking SSRI. Overheating is a bad sign, at least you waited 5 days so that's probably why you made it out OK, but you should be aware of the risks (it's a very dangerous combo).

Are you sure it's a good idea to stop your medication? Were you experiencing other side effects or do you want to stop just so you can use molly?

Will taking these keep my schizoeffective disorder in check? I get severe mood swings. Stims seem to be the only thing that calm me down when I'm in a mood. I don't get overly emotionally excited one way or another. It just tends to regulate whatever it is that's becoming unbalanced.

Why is that?
Schizophrenia is triggered by an over load of Dopamine on the D1 and D5 receptors in the Striatum. Stimulants may calm you down in the short term, but without the right supplements, too much Dopamine can build up in the Striatum and these receptors become overstimulated. The Striatum plays a huge role in your brains processing of information. It decides what information is relevant and which is not. When these receptors become over stimulated, the Striatum starts making irrelevant information seem relevant. Which is why you may see or hear things that nobody else can. Because the striatum is failing to filter out irrelevant sensory information due to the overstimulation of these receptors.

Taking 400mgs of Magnesium (has to be chelated/glycinate) every day will help to regulate your neurotransmitter release levels, which over time should help to reduce the amount of Dopamine in the Striatum and reduce your episodes of Schizophrenia.

L-Tyrosine will help to replenish your Catecholamine (Dopamine, Norepinephrine and Epinephrine) levels which will currently be depleted from high dosage MDMA use. This will however cause a depletion of Serotonin in the short term as you can't take 5-HTP for a couple of weeks until after you stop using an SSRI or MAOI. But after a couple of weeks you can start using 5-HTP along side L-Tyrosine, which will give your presynaptic vesicles a healthy balance of these neurotransmitters. Don't worry though, these supplements/amino acids don't stimulate the release of these neurotransmitters into the Synaptic Cleft. They will simply be stored in the presynaptic vesicles and ready to be released naturally when required (assuming you're sensible and avoid stimulants for the time being).

The L-Theanine isn't directly related to the striatum. But as I mentioned in my previous post, by acting as a glutamate antagonist, it will naturally raise your GABA levels which will help to promote relaxation without having to resort to the use of Benzos or Opioids. You can also take GABA as a supplement as well to further boost your GABA levels.

Myo-Inositol acts as a secondary messenger between brain cells, including neurotransmitters. Which basically just means that they'll function more efficiently, as many neurotransmitters often go to waste without providing their intended functions. Inositol can reduce this greatly and if you start using 8-12grams a day, you'll begin to notice a significant difference in your overall emotional regulation almost right away. 2-3 days and you'll wonder why you've never heard of this stuff before. It really does perform miracles. It also helps to upregulate the D2, D3 and D4 receptors on the outer membranes of the post-synaptic neurons, which get heavily downregulated with repeated heavy stimulant use. This can of course help to reverse your tolerance level to stimulants. But I would certainly recommend taking at least a month off from them (MDMA and Ritalin), along with the Prozac and Abilify.

It needs to be said. Please speak to your Dr before you stop your meds. It might seem like a good idea now but if you needed them for stability you will lose it very quickly unmedicated.

I would be very very hesitant to start taking supplements in the hope they will help. The quality, amount you’d actually need, the times when you need to take them and combinations would make it far too complicated. At the end of it, they’d likely do nothing anyway.

At the end of it, they’d likely do nothing anyway.

This isn't true. The pharmaceutical industry would love you to believe that though. Do a bit of neurology knowledge digging, the correct combination of supplements can work miracles and repair the damage caused by long term Stimulant, Benzo and Opiate users.

This isn't true. The pharmaceutical industry would love you to believe that though. Do a bit of neurology knowledge digging, the correct combination of supplements can work miracles and repair the damage caused by long term Stimulant, Benzo and Opiate users.
Look, supplements have their time and place. In this situation it’s not either.

Look, supplements have their time and place. In this situation it’s not either.
That's your factually incorrect opinion which you're entitled to hold on to. But restoring receptor sensitivity and depleted neurotransmitters should always be the first line of treatment when it comes to substance addiction. Prescribing reuptake inhibitors will only downregulate the receptors and deplete the neurotransmitters even further. Which is why people who generally rely on Stimulants or Anti Depressants who don't take the correct combination of supplements will ultimately end up building up a tolerance until the doc says "sorry, we've already maxed out your dosage". So then they start to abuse their medications and take more than their prescribed dosage. Which then leaves them short. So what do they do? They turn to the street "vendors" for more until they build a tolerance to that. Then it's on to something more potent.

And all this time, all they're doing is desensitising their receptors and depleting their neurotransmitter levels further and further until they either have a fatal overdose or do themselves in.

So don't tell me that supplements "likely do nothing anyway". Because it's scientifically proven that Amino Acids such as L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP boost Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Epinephrine and Serotonin levels. It's also scientifically proven that certain supplements in the Vitamin B category can greatly speed up the upregulation of receptors, repairing the downregulation damage caused by the over binding of the transmitters to these receptors from long term Stimulant or Anti Depressant use.

Do your research before making short ill informed statements.

I'm not sure about the SSRIs but you can speed up the elimination of abilify by inducing certain CYP enzymes with things like tobacco and prilosec OTC. If you do this DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN WHAT IT SAYS ON THE BOX.

That's your factually incorrect opinion which you're entitled to hold on to. But restoring receptor sensitivity and depleted neurotransmitters should always be the first line of treatment when it comes to substance addiction. Prescribing reuptake inhibitors will only downregulate the receptors and deplete the neurotransmitters even further. Which is why people who generally rely on Stimulants or Anti Depressants who don't take the correct combination of supplements will ultimately end up building up a tolerance until the doc says "sorry, we've already maxed out your dosage". So then they start to abuse their medications and take more than their prescribed dosage. Which then leaves them short. So what do they do? They turn to the street "vendors" for more until they build a tolerance to that. Then it's on to something more potent.

And all this time, all they're doing is desensitising their receptors and depleting their neurotransmitter levels further and further until they either have a fatal overdose or do themselves in.

So don't tell me that supplements "likely do nothing anyway". Because it's scientifically proven that Amino Acids such as L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP boost Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Epinephrine and Serotonin levels. It's also scientifically proven that certain supplements in the Vitamin B category can greatly speed up the upregulation of receptors, repairing the downregulation damage caused by the over binding of the transmitters to these receptors from long term Stimulant or Anti Depressant use.

Do your research before making short ill informed statements.
Great info, on the wrong thread, is my point.

Are supplements good? Of course, but it’s not something that’s going to help the OPs situation right now and overloading someone with such information is useless. You’re wasting your own time.

“Likely do nothing anyway” was used in the case with OP. I guarantee they would not help.

Cannot really flush out SSRIs quickly because a lot of people have tried doing that and were not successful. I lasted 6 weeks. That was it. Ever since 2012. They seem kinda harmless and low risk but..not really

Some people have been prescribed Amphetamines along with the SSRIS because their libido is gone ever since they started taking this "anti depressant"

Last edited:
I guarantee they would not help.
Oh do you? You been there? The OPs situation? Take it you've done all these supplement combinations so are best placed to be so sure about your "guarantee"?

The OP asked how they can restore Dopamine and Serotonin levels in their brain. Well the answer is L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan/5-HTP. But as I very importantly pointed out to the OP, you can't take L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP so soon after using an SSRI or MAOI. Doing so would almost certainly lead to another case of Serotonin Syndrome. A very relevant point for me to make in this thread.

My information was very much useful and directly answers the OPs question. Yes, I added some additional supplements in there. Magnesium to slow down pre-synaptic vesicle action, which will actually give these Amino Acids a chance to biosynthesize into the relevant neurotransmitters and build up in the storage vesicles. Magnesium will stop them from merging with the pre-synaptic membrane and releasing neurotransmitters too early into the synaptic cleft, which is vitally important when you need to give them enough time to adequately fill up with the necessary neurotransmitters. And Inositol is scientifically proven to speed up the upregulation of the binding catecholamine receptors, another vitally important step. As simply increasing neurotransmitter availability isn't enough. You have to re-upregulate the downregulated receptors for the neurotransmitters to be as effective as possible during the binding process.

I've provided the OP with the exact information that they require. I have nothing more to say on this thread. The OP can read my posts for themselves and make their own decision over this.

Abilify is an awful drug, almost killed me, what's the indication if you don't mind me asking?