Work How to find/be hired by newly formed companies

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
The state i live in will likely be legalizing cannabis within the next year or two. I would like to get into the industry, as I have experience growing.

How do I find newly formed companies/employers and "get in on the ground floor"? As of right now, there are 0 recreational companies. In 2 years, there will be at least 100.

Most of these cannabis companies are set up by people who don't know cannabis intimately, and they could benefit greatly from someone who does (me). The existing medical companies could not make their ignorance any more obvious, and I won't work for them. I am hoping to find a small company led by somebody who prioritizes experience and quality over trendy packaging, advertising, and "sleek" website.

Do I just post a resume on indeed or LinkedIn and hope for the best? This is an awkward meeting of worlds; the ultra squares needing the advice of those they used to call criminals.

The state i live in will likely be legalizing cannabis within the next year or two. I would like to get into the industry, as I have experience growing.

How do I find newly formed companies/employers and "get in on the ground floor"? As of right now, there are 0 recreational companies. In 2 years, there will be at least 100.

Most of these cannabis companies are set up by people who don't know cannabis intimately, and they could benefit greatly from someone who does (me). The existing medical companies could not make their ignorance any more obvious, and I won't work for them. I am hoping to find a small company led by somebody who prioritizes experience and quality over trendy packaging, advertising, and "sleek" website.

Do I just post a resume on indeed or LinkedIn and hope for the best? This is an awkward meeting of worlds; the ultra squares needing the advice of those they used to call criminals.
In Illinois you had to know someone and have a spotless criminal record. Only time will tell in your state. Good luck man

In Illinois you had to know someone and have a spotless criminal record. Only time will tell in your state. Good luck man

Fortunately, I'm not trying to start my own company, so it's not as bad as it could be. My state is more lenient and cheaper to get licensed, so I'm hoping it'll be fewer rich dicks in the industry, and more normal people.

Also, fortunately, my record is clean, and my resume is solid, albeit very blue collar and semi-unskilled. Hoping for the best. Thank for the input.

You’d think they would care for your opinion and input but they don’t. And even if they do, expect like 15$ an hour. That’s how’s it’s gone in every other legal state. “Master growers” getting paid garbage, you only make money in this industry if you start with money.

-GC

You’d think they would care for your opinion and input but they don’t. And even if they do, expect like 15$ an hour. That’s how’s it’s gone in every other legal state. “Master growers” getting paid garbage, you only make money in this industry if you start with money.

-GC
To set up and grow for yourself there was a $30,000 nonrenewable application fee..... Lol

How do I find newly formed companies/employers and "get in on the ground floor"?

same as any industry - you need to build your network and mine the shit out of it.

Most of these cannabis companies are set up by people who don't know cannabis intimately, and they could benefit greatly from someone who does (me).

what's the nature of your intimate knowledge? you need to learn how to pitch your skills quickly and clearly and demonstrate how you'd bring value.

alasdair

Here’s what I would do if I was in USA and wished to get into biz like you. I would proceed with opening smart/head shop in appropriate district, start growing weed with allowed % of THC and make various product with same while slowly accumulating product with high THC % in a state where it’s legal and then offer it to costumers along my other products when it gets legal. Being one of the first in the game and having enough of good enough product gives you some chance of surviving in a crocodile swamp. That said, earning initial funds for that and being ready to do biz with loss for some, maybe long time is hardest part and enough to make it just a wet dream for most of us.

I’m almost sure once my country legalizes weed, most of those who’ll really succeed are one already into weed biz, both legal and illegal. Other than that, maybe few kids with rich and influential parents.

Here’s what I would do if I was in USA and wished to get into biz like you. I would proceed with opening smart/head shop in appropriate district, start growing weed with allowed % of THC and make various product with same while slowly accumulating product with high THC % in a state where it’s legal and then offer it to costumers along my other products when it gets legal. Being one of the first in the game and having enough of good enough product gives you some chance of surviving in a crocodile swamp. That said, earning initial funds for that and being ready to do biz with loss for some, maybe long time is hardest part and enough to make it just a wet dream for most of us.
That all sounds good on paper but in reality, selling weed without a license from your head shop is a recipe for disaster. You never know what undercover agent would pop up trying to catch you doing just that.

I remember back in college there was Liquor Patrol, which were undercover state officers that would waltz into clubs and bars to bust underage drinkers who had likely snuck in with a fake ID. They would walk up to random people and card them until they got one. Now that weed is recreationally legal, it will be regulated by the state and they will hatch up all sorts of undercover operations to catch people attempting to circumvent the law.

That all sounds good on paper but in reality, selling weed without a license from your head shop is a recipe for disaster. You never know what undercover agent would pop up trying to catch you doing just that.

I remember back in college there was Liquor Patrol, which were undercover state officers that would waltz into clubs and bars to bust underage drinkers who had likely snuck in with a fake ID. They would walk up to random people and card them until they got one. Now that weed is recreationally legal, it will be regulated by the state and they will hatch up all sorts of undercover operations to catch people attempting to circumvent the law.
Than I probably misunderstood federally legal weed (hemp) situation in the USA, I thought it’s like here where anyone with any kind of registered shop (paying taxes) can sell it to any adult.

same as any industry - you need to build your network and mine the shit out of it.

what's the nature of your intimate knowledge? you need to learn how to pitch your skills quickly and clearly and demonstrate how you'd bring value.

alasdair

Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to network, but I guess that's sort of my question: this is an odd business, do you network through standard square channels like LinkedIn?

Sorry for making it difficult, but half of my nerves about this situation are about gaining that experience during prohibition. Unfortunately I am not comfortable getting very specific: I've grown small-scale, non-commercial for many years, and dipped a toe in pollen chucking. I'm not fit to run a massive warehouse with no consultants/help, but I'm also not that far off in experience, consistency, and proficiency

Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to network, but I guess that's sort of my question: this is an odd business, do you network through standard square channels like LinkedIn?

Sorry for making it difficult, but half of my nerves about this situation are about gaining that experience during prohibition. Unfortunately I am not comfortable getting very specific: I've grown small-scale, non-commercial for many years, and dipped a toe in pollen chucking. I'm not fit to run a massive warehouse with no consultants/help, but I'm also not that far off in experience, consistency, and proficiency
The ez money is in selling clones tbh

Yup. Actually knew a grower that went from growing for flower to growing clones for other growers.

I don’t understand why people spend so much on clones and seeds for each grow when you could just, idk.. Grow and seed them yourself.

-GC
They want to have faster turnovers and taking care of 200 seedlings isn't so easy so they'll pay big $$$ :)

Yup. Actually knew a grower that went from growing for flower to growing clones for other growers.

I don’t understand why people spend so much on clones and seeds for each grow when you could just, idk.. Grow and seed them yourself.

-GC

Most home growers do not have the space to properly separate seed growing from flower growing spaces.

1) The actual flower crops can easily be lowered in end quality by the presence of pollen that may stray from the "seeding" grow to the "flower" grow. High potency flower needs to be kept from pollen . Once fertilization of the females start they stop producing flowers and THC. The longer the flowering stage takes the more THC is produced in the flowers. Eventually the plant will start to decline, which is the time when a grower will start getting ready to harvest by "flushing the plant". This is done by holding back nutrients and allowing the plant to consume the nutrients stored in the sun leaves.

2) All seedlings do not develop the same. Most if not all cannabis strains have more than one phenotypes. Finding the best phenotype from packs of seeds, making those best plants mothers and cloning many identical clones allows the grower to maximize growth and strength of the crop much more efficiently and ensures best qualities. Keeping the mother alive and cloning assures continuing further crops that are of consistent high quality.

3) Although cannabis is relatively easy to grow, each strain and phenotype of strain grows best when the grower understands and can correctly provide what the plant wants at each stage of growth. It can take even experienced growers a cycle or two to "dial in" the grow. Having a "mono crop strain grow" helps. Growing the same space with individually planted new seeds does not give a crop that is similar enough to assure each individual plant maximized due to phenotype differences. Plants cloned from a single mother per crop are much more easily grown to maximum uality since they are essentially twins of each other.

This is just scratching the surface by the way.

Last edited:
I would say that biggest benefits from growing clones are in case you go for sea of green or similar growing technique.

Most home growers do not have the space to properly separate seed growing from flower growing spaces.

1) The actual flower crops can easily be lowered in end quality by the presence of pollen that may stray from the "seeding" grow to the "flower" grow. High potency flower needs to be kept from pollen . Once fertilization of the females start they stop producing flowers and THC. The longer the flowering stage takes the more THC is produced in the flowers. Eventually the plant will start to decline, which is the time when a grower will start getting ready to harvest by "flushing the plant". This is done by holding back nutrients and allowing the plant to consume the nutrients stored in the sun leaves.

2) All seedlings do not develop the same. Most if not all cannabis strains have more than one phenotypes. Finding the best phenotype from packs of seeds, making those best plants mothers and cloning many identical clones allows the grower to maximize growth and strength of the crop much more efficiently and ensures best qualities. Keeping the mother alive and cloning assures continuing further crops that are of consistent high quality.

3) Although cannabis is relatively easy to grow, each strain and phenotype of strain grows best when the grower understands and can correctly provide what the plant wants at each stage of growth. It can take even experienced growers a cycle or two to "dial in" the grow. Having a "momo strain grow" helps. Growing the same space with individually planted new seeds does not give a crop that is similar enough to assure each individual plant maximized due to phenotype differences. Plants cloned from a single mother per crop are much more easily grown to maximum uality since they are essentially twins of each other.

This is just scratching the surface by the way.

I understand all of this having grown for many years. But I still feel the price is worth doing on your own.

When it comes to seeding, just do a single grow for it.. Accept that it’s going to be a 1 stage setup until completion then scrub the area for pollen. The amount of seeds one can get from a single grow like this is astronomical.

Also while I understand all the reasons people seek a mono culture system, and I do appreciate those reasons. On the flip side, a varied crop is more resistant to disease and pests.

I’ve been growing a varied crop for most of my growing career and never once have had a pest or disease issue.

-GC

I’ve been growing a varied crop for most of my growing career and never once have had a pest or disease issue

Growing varied crops does not induce pests or disease, it only increases the amount of difficulty in growing all the plants to the best they can produce due to each plant having dfferent needs and growth patterns. It is entirely possible, but most people don't want the extra effort involved.