• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How to feminize weed seeds?

Silver thiosulfate. Buy thiosulfate, buy silver nitrate, mix them together at a specific ratio (I'll look for it in a min) and spray the designated female(s) with the solution up to three (or more) times just after you flipped to 12/12. The tricky thing is that if you're growing females side by side with those turned ones, you'll have trouble getting them to drop pollen in time. They're always delayed when you turn them, so they need a 2 to sometimes even 6 week head start, so you ensure you've got enough pollen to work with.

Turned females don't always give enough pollen regrettably, some do, a lot don't. Easier to just keep gathering pollen, store it (cooler the better, no light or moisture either) till you have enough and then dust some females with a paintbrush. I've found that more sprays work better than just the one time some people suggest all that's necessary, it isn't imo. Long flowering sativa's, "sterile" pollen, clusters of banana's but no pollen, those are the ones you want really. The harder it is to turn a female, the harder it will be to turn their offspring into hermaphrodites, hopefully anyways, because that certainly isn't the case with cannabis I've found. Gender expression doesn't really work through mendelian inheritage the way a colour scheme does for example, it's more complex than that, sadly.

The recipe for sts was this, but I don't think you'll ever need that much stock solution, you can easily work with a fifth or even a tenth of these numbers. As long as you stick to the math and wear gloves and some protection while you're spraying with this stuff, you'll be fine. Also don't use anything metal when you weigh it all out or mix it into solution, it's highly reactive.
Part A: .5 gram silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (A) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (B) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is stock silver thiosulfate solution (STS).

This stock solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water.

TVeObVSl.jpg

So here is how you do it.

A canibus plant is considered male if it has X and Y chromosomes and female if it has only X chromosomes. Female canibus plants are able to produce viable pollen. When female produced pollen pollenates a female the genetic outcome is always female.

Take the desired strain and stress it into transforming into a hermaphrodite or rather a femaphrodite (coined) and allow it to pollinate itself or other females.

Cannabis is an extremely interesting genus (species?) for researching sex determination. Plants are usually either monoecious (both male and female organs on a single plant), or dioecious, separate sexes. Sex determination has evolved many times in many species. Comparing the mechanisms of sex determination in different organisms provides valuable opportunities to contrast and compare, thereby developing techniques to control sex determinations.

Cannabis is considered a male if it contains a Y-chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes. Even though female Cannabis plants do not have the “male” chromosome, they are capable of producing viable pollen (hermaphrodite) that is the source of feminized seeds.

you can make S1 seeds

so you take a female of a specific strain, spray it with a colloidal silver mixture, it'll reverse and create male pollen, then you collect that pollen, and impregnate a clone of the original plant, and the result is all female seeds of the original strain

so lets say you have a clone only plant - lets say it's chemdawg - now the resulting seeds are chemdawg S1 seeds....chemdawg x chemdawg - and they're feminized - all female seeds

Last edited:
if you have a female plant that dropped pollen unintentionally, the resulting seeds will all be female, but they'll have a high probability of being a hermaphrodite themselves, which you definitely don't want to happen

so that's why feminized seeds are seen as more unstable - and you really need to keep an eye on them

but - regular seeds can be just as unstable if one of the parents is already unstable to begin with

so a lot of the girl scout cookie crosses out there use the forum cut, which is known to be unstable since that's actually from bag seed which probably came about from an accidental hermaphrodite pollinator

one of gorilla glue's parents is a hermaphrodite - so you need to keep an eye on gorilla glue when you're running it - but that's an example of some really good pot coming from such an accident - but that's still uncommon

now also understand that hermaphrodite pollen is way less viable than a male pollen - so you'll end up with a lot less seeds if an accidental herm happens - but it's still not good - it can still ruin your whole garden (ask me how i know)

i don't breed - i don't want any pollen around here

but yea everybody is a breeder nowadays and that's why there's so many unstable plants out there now and people are more accustomed to hermaphrodites

10 or more years ago, it was really frowned upon - now ppl just shrug their shoulders :shrug: