• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How to feel like being on MDMA (without MDMA)

Jayess

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

This may sound like a stupid question or thread title, but this issue has been bothering me for quite some time, and I think some of you could definitely relate!

Basically, I take MDMA quite often, maybe once every couple of weeks/ every month at least. I love the feeling of being in love with everyone/ everything, connecting with total strangers, being in my own dream world for a couple of hours without any cares in the world. Although I may never get the surprise of that first time again, It still feels just as great each time I take it and the magic is usually always there (unless I've been binging). I love the closed eye visuals and the adventure you go on with your eyes closed.

But the thing I love the most is how it connects me so strongly to the music I listen to. This is by far the biggest thing that I love about MDMA.

The only problem with this is that when I can't get/use MDMA, I feel as if there is something missing when I listen to my favourite music, or when I spent time out in clubs with friends. It's a horrible feeling when it's always going to be on the back of your mind that things can be so much better.

It bothers me a lot, I don't want to become dependent on such a good thing but I can see myself using it irresponsibly or even worse, ruining the magic someday due to overuse or dependence.

My questions are this,

- Is there an effective substitute? Less harmful or even completely drug free?
- What is it about MDMA that makes it work so well with music?
- Could things like meditation alter my consciousness as much as MDMA can? Could it even be more effective maybe?

Hopefully there can be an interesting discussion come from this. Thank you :)

I think most of what I am about to reply with is subjective*. So take that in mind...

There are literally tons of novel research chemicals that in some way mimic the effect profile of MDMA. I have my doubts as to whether they are safer than MDMA. Drugs like bk-MDMA, MDPV, 4-MMC, and 6-APB are all about equally taxing on the mind and body IMO and shouldn't be used with a frequency in which you give yourself the chance to build a tolerance.

GHB is relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things and ultimately not as taxing on your mind and body. If you're into GABA drugs and have yet to try GHB it has a similar tactile sensation that MDMA provides at a certain dosage.

I think music sounds better, more emotional and provocative, whilst under the influence of any drug. As a triple monoamine releaser I'm sure that serotonin and dopamine play a big part in music sounding better. MDMA makes everything have a certain magic. Life falls together how it should and if it doesn't you'll easily tolerate how to deal with it.

I can't really put down too much on the meditation question. I just imagine from what I've read that you can experience euphoric situations through meditation.

Remember MDMA is a powerful drug. You shouldn't use it super frequently. When I am high on MDMA it makes everything better. You just gotta figure out why it is special when you're not under the influence that is the true key.

Thankyou for the reply

I think it would be a shame to live without such a positive thing. I suppose though that it deserves so much more respect than we give it sometimes.

First thing as a must on my list is moderation. Every 4-6 weeks minimum with full supplementation for each time.

I think the key to being happy without MDMA is working on making day to day reality better than what it is.

Also, I am going to invest some time into meditation. Im thinking the stronger my mind is, the less brain power i use thinking about bullshit and the more brain power i can use concentrating on music!

There is a reason why MDMA is so magical! I wouldn't abuse it and limit doses to once every 3 months. Going down a depressive road there OP!

This varies from person to person. For some, the music itself is all they need to feel great. It just requires a positive attitude.

Well, increased music appreciation isn't unique to MDMA, in fact it's a common effect of many different drugs.

- Could things like meditation alter my consciousness as much as MDMA can? Could it even be more effective maybe?

Is it possible? Yes, the sky's the limit with things like this.

I would argue yes, though it's a lot of hard work :)

I find myself posting in threads on topics like this a lot here because in some ways getting into drugs eventually led me to getting into meditation. There seems to be a kind of vocal faction that objects to this idea around here. I'm not going to claim meditating will necessarily take you to the same place that drugs do, but one of the cool things about psychedelic drugs is that they can show us just how much is really possible with our consciousness. Obviously that's the result of a chemical reaction, but on some level chemical reactions are all consciousness is. Everything you do affects these reactions in some way - every thought you have, everything you put into your body, every person you interact with, etc. So yes, things like meditation can profoundly alter your consciousness.

I think part of the beauty of the mdma experience is it shows us what the world could be like if everyone opened their hearts up a little more. In 'regular' day-to-day reality there are a lot of things that can make having an open heart difficult or even dangerous though. So if you want this feeling as a regular part of your life, I think a lot of the process is how to navigate this space and integrate it into your life in a way that is more grounded and functional. It becomes a whole process of maybe re-structuring your life, re-prioritizing your values, building supportive communities, if we want to live this way there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make it possible. But IME those things will start to fall into place if you set the intention and meditate on it. It's a long process :)

I imagine the state of consciousness of a truly awakened being is somewhat similar to being on mdma 24/7 though. heh

Great advice here. :) You only get from it what you put into it.

The most clear answer is that there isn't any way to feel exactly like being on MDMA other than actually being on MDMA. Other drugs can feel 'similar' but nothing will match it. It's the same with every other drug they're all unique in at least some way. That's not to mean you couldn't find a similar headspace to MDMA while on alternative drug or even sober. Meditation is certainly an interesting avenue and something I've considered. With a lot of time and effort I'd imagine it would be possible to become more like that clear MDMA headspace while sober and what a life that would be ;).

Has anyone got any experience of meditating on stimulants? Does the added focus and motivation provided by stimulants facilitate the process of meditating since it's effectively just entering a clear, lucid and extremely focussed headspace anyway? I only ask because I've found that I'm easier hypnotized when I'm on stimulants than when I'm not which is somewhat similar to meditation too. I'm talking about therapeutic, and not recreational, doses of regular stimulants (I.E. amphetamines/ritalin).

If you are after music sounding amazing on something that isn't mdma, try marijuana, there was a long stage for a while where the only reason i smoked was to listen to music and if you really want to feel the music combine the 2. I've done this a few times in a club and I've taken a seat in close proximity to a sub and the feeling you get from the bass vibrating your body whilst the sound swims through your mind... now thats a feeling that you'd want to create when sober

I've had 2 or 3 bursts of empathy leading me to almost mystical headspaces. I'm not sure one can reproduce this by will without being super yogi, but the keys were all environmental, social experiences, difficulties, watching something very beautiful. I just felt overwhelmed by this sense that everything made sense and was beautiful. One time was while watching the doc on Sasha Shulgin, because his life is so beautiful.

There was one time i drank a can of monster and it gave me a high similar to mdma like almost exactly but it only lasted like 5-10 minutes... that was the only time i felt like that on monster i didnt even know it was possible to feel like that on monster it was almost exactly like mdma... although i caffeine wouldnt be considered a safer alternative... especially if its from monster but it just tripped me out and was so unexpected...

sorry if i didnt really contribute to this thread... i am also trying to figure out how to feel like that without using drugs and have posted a couple of threads myself asking the same question kind of

You oviously cant feel a euphoric presence as strong as mdma, but if your sober and engage in a deep conversation with strong empathy or a moment of extreme happiness can make a sober person feel kinda high with euphoria but just not close to mdma kinda high.

One time i had an intense heart exploding argument with a very dear friend and a few hours later we basicly made up and solved the dilemma and after that i got so happy after extreme emotional pain which gave me this incredible euphoria while sober. It made me feel so high and amazing but the feeling was not close to the presence of a mdma high though but it was an incredible feeling to have sober though. Obviously radical mood changing chemicals in my brain caused this.

Is there an effective substitute for MDMA? No, not unless you count chemical congeners such as methylone, MDA, MDOH, or MDE.
Can meditation bring on a state similar to MDMA? Well, some adepts have reported levitating whilst meditating, so I'm sure it's possible to get an MDMA feeling from it if you get good enough at it.
Why does music sound so good on MDMA? I don't know, other than to say music is by definition repeating sounds and all manner of amphetamines make repeating sounds more attractive to the mind, but anyway I really hope to do MDMA again soon.

Is it possible to get the same type of feeling as mdma or at least a feeling thats close to it just by eating the right foods and drinks and exercising for a certain amount of time?? like foods and drinks that contain tryptophan and stuff that boosts your serotonin and dopamine? along with meditation as well??

might be a placebo but i started eating healthy foods and drinks a couple days ago and i already feel a difference...

i looove the feeling of mdma... i just cant get over it... so much different than my regular everyday state of mind filled with doubt and a lil bit of anxiety and depression and not feeling confident about myself... when i take it it feels like all of that stuff about me is gone... like i am a different and better person....

people could proly tell that i was on it but i knew that i was crackin more jokes that were actually funny because i wasnt worried about what people thought of me or my jokes and i was actually socializing with people.... something i never do... not even with my own friends that i used to talk to in high school... and i realized that i was more fun to be around...

i use to say that i was never going to do ecstasy again because of the crappy feelings i get afterwards but tbh i kinda miss how i felt while i was on it especially during the times where my awkwardness and "anti socialness" reveals itself.... and i also miss that initial rush that i got when it kicks in and having my mood change from depressed or worried to complete bliss in a matter of minutes... it was like i was being saved or i was ascending into heaven or something...

im pretty sure i will do it again at some point in my life...although ima try to get pure mdma instead whenever i do decide to do it and try to be safe with it and do it like every couple months or so... although if eating healthy and exercising eventually gets me to that state of mind or at least close to it or something similar to it than who needs drugs x)

sorry if i rambled i just cant get over the feeling and felt i had to share that with others

Last edited:
Being really really really in love is the only thing that resembles MDMA a bit for me, though to a lesser degree of course, but it does produce a similar euphoria and empathy :D

Is ther anything or any type of feeling that is better than mdma??? besides mixing mdma with other drugs
In my opinion no. The only feeling from a substance that i enjoy equally to mdma would be shrooms. Obviously the visuals and mental effects are awesome but the body high for me is ultra euphoric and it feels like the power of the sun is inside of my body feeling of fuzzy warmness, not hot and uncomfortable.

When people talk about losing the magic of MDMA are they mainly talking about it losing its empathy effects? So it just becomes you're average stimulant? I know its all subjective but just interested because I've been doing it fairly regularly.

if you know this epic song you've heard while rolling, for me it brings me some mdma like experience

Is ther anything or any type of feeling that is better than mdma??? besides mixing mdma with other drugs

No, unless you include bodily functions such as sex or eating a good meal when you had been starving. The MDMA highs diminish with time too.