• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to educate oneself in molecular chemistry of drugs?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I was reading into physiological differences in amphetamine sulfate vs amphetamine phosphate, pulled up an old thread on this sub where posters had very lucid insight into the topic based it would seem on an understanding of molecular chemistry.

Coming into neuroscience and drug therapeutics, I covered the core concepts of neurotransmission, receptor protein binding, intraneural cascades and gene expression.

That's all been well and good but it occurred to me, at the most fundamental molecular level of drug synthesis and physiological implications and outcomes of molecular modifications (analogues) such as the former, that's still a unknown entity to me;

Steven Stahls Essential Psychopharmacology was easily the most comprehensive and well outlayed (easy to read) book on the fundamentals of neurotransmission and pharmacology (put in perspective of Rang and Dahls Pharmacology and Eric Nestlers Molecular neuropharm - both of which we very hyperbolic containing reams of information far outside the core concepts).

Is there any easy and concise manual or script/text/book to ge acquainted with the core concepts in molecular chemistry?

I did chemistry in high school but, whilst that covered the basics of bonding etc., it wasn't comprehensive enough to give insights into the physiological outcome of molecular analogues like the aforementioned amphetamine sulphate/phosphate etc.

Any pointers?
Recommended textbooks, sources, tutorial videos etc., recommendations from those more well acquainted with this area?

Organic Chemistry
The Physician's Desk Reference
Voluminous Structural Memorization

My first dive into chemistry was via reading a simple A/B DMT extraction.
Probably took me about 5 hours before I understood the mechanism and was confident in my ability to do it lol.