• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to dispose a needle at home????

Not_A_Drug_Addict

Bluelighter
I haven't shot up before until recently. I would just chase the dragon. Anyway could anyone on here tell me how I should expose of the needle? I don't want to just carelessly throw it in the trash. Thank you In advance ?

I've never used needles myself but I've always thought throwing it in an empty soda can would be a good idea. Then stuffing it with paper so it's not moving about all over in the can and just dispose of it in a trash can.

By the way, if you have a needle exchange close by you can take them into there as long as they are safely boxed. I know in the UK they give you 'sharps bin' and you can take it in whenever you want and they will dispose of the needles and give you your container back. I highly suggest you do this but if it would be difficult getting the needles out of your home with family living there then a soda can should be okay.

Last edited:
insulin needles perfectly fit in 25 or 33cl beer bottles. Trow them away in the usual trash and not in the glass though.

I'm not sure why people act like throwing capped needles out is really a big deal. It's just like any other trash, you just happened to shoot heroin with it.

If you don't have the cap, just bend the tip of the needle off and put it inside of something like a bunch of tin foil or something. Honestly, id usually just throw the tip out as well

people get all uppity about proper needle disposal but I'd have to ask why are you going through trash cans in the first place? And I'm the junkie?

just wrap the whole needle in tin foil and shove it deep into a trash can and you're good

^ Prime example of a fucking idiot.

You do realise people work in rubbish dumps, and with the trash you throw away. How do you know you don't have aids or HIV, or any other disease for that matter.

Not to mention not everyone has a understanding family when it comes to drugs. Seriously though man, I just can't understand your logic towards others being extra careful towards this type of stuff. I bet you're the type of person to shoot up in a bushy area and leave the needle on the ground for some kids to find while playing.

Finish a box of some kind of food, put it in the box, close the box, and throw it away

Subotai it's because of people like you that some people get "all uppity".
You need to dispose of your pins more carefully.

^ Prime example of a fucking idiot.

You do realise people work in rubbish dumps, and with the trash you throw away. How do you know you don't have aids or HIV, or any other disease for that matter.

Not to mention not everyone has a understanding family when it comes to drugs. Seriously though man, I just can't understand your logic towards others being extra careful towards this type of stuff. I bet you're the type of person to shoot up in a bushy area and leave the needle on the ground for some kids to find while playing.

First time IV drug user having AIDS? highly unlikely let alone the fact of how long it stays alive outside of the system. I think you're the fucking idiot

How do diabetics dispose of their syringes? How are syringes disposed of in a medical/hospital setting? There's your answer on how to properly do it. It's so simple, really... You're using their tools, it's not like reappropriating the tool for a different use changes the precautions / method of disposal that should be taken.

AIDS infested needles aside, how is a city worker or garbage collector supposed to know it came from someone who its his or her first time iv'ing and not some injection vet that has 40 years of sharing needles under their belt and every disease? Do you leave a special note along with your hastily discarded syringe describing that? You hardly care whether you scare the shit out of someone leaving your discarded works loosely laying around in the trash.

They come with a cap for a reason. Put the cap on, and put it in the trash, perhaps in it's own special bag marking it somehow, if you can't be fucked to get an actual biohazard container

I said to wrap it in tin foil, not sure what else to say

most people don't have a used needle container to dispose of them in and don't even know what a needle exchange is

id imagine there's more heinous things thrown in the garbage then a used needle

and if you break the cap off and wrap it in tin foil, how exactly is that going to give someone AIDS?

It's not an aids risk. It's a hep b/hep c risk, although statistics show that the rate of transmission is (from memory) like 2-5%, and most people that contract it are either extremely unlucky, immunocompromised, or are repeatedly sharing the needles while engaging in unprotected sex work. It just looks scary to the 99% of people that don't use needles, to find that in the trash.

Just leave the cap on, leave the needle on(don't smash it against a table to break it off, I used to do that when id get sick and tired of iv'ing but the needle tip gets lost, I'd comb my carpet for upto 18 hours or more looking for them as well as more dope) put it in a ziplock bag and perhaps write with a permanent marker on the bag about what it is, double bagging/wrap in paper towel. Although who will actually do this... Prolly noone. I know that I didn't ever taken the first precaution, sometimes I would lose the cap and chuck ot in the trash, or find the cap later after id already thrown the rig away. Ahh man. Too many fucked up memories flooding back about this lol

You guys, please refrain from insulting one another. In an ideal world, every iv drug user would have a sharps container but we don't. It would be okay to throw the syringe away with the tip covered or removed so long as it's going into the trash and not loose. I guess it depends where you live. In many large municipalities, the refuse companies use wheelie bins so the trash pick up guys don't have to handle bags with their hands. If you're putting your trash bag to the road, make sure there's no needle poking out.

Here they use big containers, or wheelie bins, depending on your locale.

The thing is, sticking it in a empty bottle of beer or a 16oz coca cola, and then putting in the recycling bin, or someone going through your trash and picking it out only to turn it in for recycling money to the recycling center, it can actually still cross the hands of an unwitting individual. So please dispose of them properly ^.^

The easiest DIY method for disposing of needles at home would be to put the entire rig, with the needle capped and still attached into a hard plastic container. Ideally, this would be a laundry detergent container or something similar that isn't transparent, but a soda bottle will be just as safe.