• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to Decrease Adderall Tolerance

watermelon14

Bluelighter
I've had a prescription for Adderall for about 3 years now, and I'm currently taking the highest dose my doctor is willing to give me (40mg/day). Over the years, I've built up quite a tolerance to this dosage: taking 40mg/day does nothing for me anymore and I've resorted to, instead, taking 80mg every other day. However, I realize that if I keep doing this, I'll build up my tolerance once again and pretty soon will feel nothing even with an 80mg dosage.

My question is this: what kind of routine can I get into so that I'm not raising my tolerance any higher? For example, if I went three days without taking any Adderall and then one day taking 120mg, would that still be raising my tolerance or not since I'm taking the three days off?

I don't really have a good understanding of how the concept of tolerance works and would like some more information or any suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

If you abstain for an amount of time (days) as part of your dosing routine, it will slow down the building of tolerance significantly. Also do not assume that your tolerance has been raised and up the dosage. The tolerance is permanent to some extent.

When you say it does nothing anymore, what do you mean exactly? Oftentimes you can't 'feel' it anymore, but the therapeutic value is still there (eg improved focus and concentration during dull tasks).

Since it's been years, this means that your tolerance might be hard to lower (depending on each person).

Things that are recommended for lowering amp tolerance:
DXM (NMDA antagonist)
Magnesium (NMDA antagonist)
Break. Month is best, week if you can't handle it. This might actually be very tough for you. Caffeine recommended as a substitute.

Don't take it daily. Generally, those who have legit disorders that require Adderall should also be developing habits that allow them to live "normally" without the drug.
This means that an individual should be planning out break weeks or work out a dosing schedule that makes it non-daily.

Speaking from personal experience it takes a few weeks to even months of not taking any adderall to reset your tolerance (depending on how long you've been on it). I used to have to take 40mg IR adderall just to be baseline ready to study for class and 60mg if I wanted to be totally good. This was after using Adderall almost daily for 2-3 years. I took several months off from adderall and when I came back 10mg had me buzzing around the house. Three days is likely not going to do much to you tolerance considering you have been on it for three years.