How to block private messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdup.snaildown

Greenlighter
Hello,

I put someone on ignore because they were being unpleasant towards me. I told them politely that I put them on ignore via PM but now I'm getting PMs from them calling me a liar, etc. Is there a way to block this? It says in the private messages when they quote something "You are ignoring content by this member." but I can still see the non-quoted content in the PM. Why does ignore not apply to private messages?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-birdup.snaildown

There’s a setting in your privacy options to change people who can message you to either people you follow or nobody. Nothing to block a single member in PM though.

Reactions: CFC
Bugger. Okay thanks for the response. I'll just stop replying to him and hopefully he will give up eventually.

Hello,

I put someone on ignore because they were being unpleasant towards me. I told them politely that I put them on ignore via PM but now I'm getting PMs from them calling me a liar, etc. Is there a way to block this? It says in the private messages when they quote something "You are ignoring content by this member." but I can still see the non-quoted content in the PM. Why does ignore not apply to private messages?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-birdup.snaildown

You can't ignore replies to a conversation you initiated unless you leave it, as suggested above. FWIW I imagine telling someone in PM that you're ignoring them, politely or not, probably feels like taunting, and is likely to inflame the situation.

Thanks. I let him know about the ignore so he didn't waste time replying to my posts because I wouldn't be able to see them but I see your point. Ended the conversation. Hopefully that will fix it.

Last edited:
i know right-leaners are typically very big on personal responsibility so you could always take this guy's advice:
You can't blame people for having a discussion that you don't want them to have simply because you're not capable (for whatever reason) of opting out.
and just 'opt out'.

anyway, have a great day.

alasdair

i know right-leaners are typically very big on personal responsibility so you could always take this guy's advice:

and just 'opt out'.

anyway, have a great day.

alasdair
Now that was clever. I'll give you that! Lol!

Thanks. I let him know about the ignore so he didn't waste time replying to my posts because I wouldn't be able to see them but I see your point. Ended the conversation. Hopefully that will fix it.
For the record and having experience in these things:

When you leave the conversation you must select the option "Ignore future messages" and then leave. This doesn't stop them from starting another conversation with you though (unless as has been noted you disable the option of being able to receive private messages but that then blocks EVERYBODY from sending you a private message).

By the way (and been meaning to mention this if or when the opportunity comes up and this seems to be just that time):

By blocking a forum member you are still presented with a little block that is covering their text/post and informing you that you're ignoring that particular member (and of course you then have the option to view the text/post). What's the point of that? Do you have any idea the amount of self control and restraint it takes to not open that text/post? Reminds me of those experiments where they put children alone in a room with two cookies or sweets on a plate and then waiting to see how long it takes for them to cave. It's torture man! :ROFLMAO:

I clicked on what you quoted from him there. Damn cookies. Not sure that it's the same thing. I'm not telling him I'd rather him not to have a discussion with someone else. I'd just rather not see his posts. It's a waste of my time. I am opting out. Cookies are pretty tasty though so I'm sure I'll click on reveal again at some point, but it only shows that option when someone (like you) has quoted him. All his posts have disappeared. There is no reveal button. It would help my lack of will power if you don't quote him @dalpat077. Maybe everyone on the forum could put him on ignore? Is that asking too much? ;)

I clicked on what you quoted from him there. Damn cookies. Not sure that it's the same thing. I'm not telling him I'd rather him not to have a discussion with someone else. I'd just rather not see his posts. It's a waste of my time. I am opting out. Cookies are pretty tasty though so I'm sure I'll click on reveal again at some point, but it only shows that option when someone (like you) has quoted him. All his posts have disappeared. There is no reveal button. It would help my lack of will power if you don't quote him @dalpat077. Maybe everyone on the forum could put him on ignore? Is that asking too much? ;)
I see. I see. That option only shows up in posts where a blocked member has been quoted in another post. Thanks for that.

Admittedly I've never blocked anyone i.e. only ever just did a test to see what the "Ignore" button did. That's when I saw the "magnet" i.e. "Show hidden content"! (but obviously didn't realize it was only showing in quoted posts). It's a total mind fuck though. Takes more self control and restraint to not click "Show hidden content" than it does to try not look up a good looking woman's miniskirt sitting with her legs crossed at the airport (old Billy Connolly joke i.e. I'm not a pervert for the record). 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
dalpat077 said:
I'm not a pervert for the record

I am. You should try it. It's fun.

...and I think that's a good a place to end this.

My questions have been answered.

Can someone close this thread?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.