• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how the fuck can half life change with roa?

Yeah, that seems insane. I'd probably be dead if I had snorted a line every 45 minutes back in the day. Two or three of us used to share a point or two all weekend......not on 45 minute dosing schedule.

Princess Diz that’s an awesome article. Exactly what I was looking for - not oversimplified but not ina foreign language either. From the comment it seems most people think of as half life as only the first part - how long it takes the body to eliminate half of what ever you just put up your nose, in your arm, whatever - not what happens after that. I always thought of it as the rate of steady reduction; you eliminate half, then half of that, that half of that...

I was confused because if bupe has a 36 hour half life sublingual and 8 hour IV, what happens 3 days after the shot? Does it keep reducing by half every 8 hours or does it switch back to 36?

it seems from the article that what I thought of as half life is really the elimination rate. Half life is actually the rate at which the portion of drug in your plasma is eliminated. It seems different ROAs cause different plasma concentrations, which might explain the diff.

@madness00 I would guess maybe just bioavailability, higher dose higher time to comedown. Does it actually have a higher half life or do you just find similar doses to last longer via iv?

@madness00 I would guess maybe just bioavailability, higher dose higher time to comedown. Does it actually have a higher half life or do you just find similar doses to last longer via iv?

According to the article i posted, IV is actually longer. 11.5 hours vs. 10.5 smoking/snorting IIRC?

I find all ROAs of meth very similar, with oral being a bit longer.

I have needles but haven't tried them yet. One day ;)

Methamphetamine is interesting for me. Vaporized it lasts longer than other MOAs. I mean, intranasal lasts about 45 minutes then I need more to keep it going

On the other hand, I've had better luck with MDA intranasal and even rectally than orally. MDMA always works better rectally too. It probably lasts an hour longer that way

Opiates work better and last way longer rectally, even meperidine

Wow that's super odd. For me every drug lasts the longest orally. And meth lasts like 12 hours nasally, and shorter smoked. MDMA lasts much shorter snorted than oral. For me, rectal admin usually lasts almost as long as oral, but noticeable shorter.

Really? I used to only snort meth and one line would have me tweaking for at least 12 hours.

Yeah, meth is a long-lasting drug, 45 minutes sounds really suspect, never heard of it lasting that short for anyone before.

Maybe they meant that the euphoria only lasted that long. That would make sense to me as for me, the only truly enjoyable part of the high was the initial line with the burn (I LOVED the burn) followed by a smoke and a shot of gin and then like the subsequent hour or so. The rest just felt kinda pointless.

Princess Diz that’s an awesome article. Exactly what I was looking for - not oversimplified but not ina foreign language either. From the comment it seems most people think of as half life as only the first part - how long it takes the body to eliminate half of what ever you just put up your nose, in your arm, whatever - not what happens after that. I always thought of it as the rate of steady reduction; you eliminate half, then half of that, that half of that...

I was confused because if bupe has a 36 hour half life sublingual and 8 hour IV, what happens 3 days after the shot? Does it keep reducing by half every 8 hours or does it switch back to 36?

it seems from the article that what I thought of as half life is really the elimination rate. Half life is actually the rate at which the portion of drug in your plasma is eliminated. It seems different ROAs cause different plasma concentrations, which might explain the diff.
Exactly and also each person has unique physiology so that also determines half life. For example I’m a rapid metaboliser so my half life for many drugs is short, in fact local anaesthetic doesn’t even work on me as it metabolises too quick.

People also confuse half-life and duration of action a lot. I often see people say half-life when they really mean duration. Very different things.

According to Wiki, good old THC has a half-life of anywhere between 1.6 to 59 hours (that is a mad variation!) and yet no one is stoned for three days from one joint.

Conversely, phenibut has a half-life of only 5 hours, but a duration of up to 24 hours.

Half-life is not duration. Good info to know.

I have needles but haven't tried them yet. One day ;)

Methamphetamine is interesting for me. Vaporized it lasts longer than other MOAs. I mean, intranasal lasts about 45 minutes then I need more to keep it going

perhaps you mean the initial rush bro cos in my experience a good line of meth is a minimum 12 hour affair,. more likely 15 hours ...

I always found vaping it far more fiendish...

EDIT also man just bin the needles...mos def not a road you wanna travel

Intranasal never lasts more than 5 hours for me. I guess I mean after which, there are no more noticeable effects. Vaporized is a slow build of effects and lasts about 8 hours

“The terminal half-life ranges from three hours after intravenous administration to 28 to 37 hours after sublingual administration.10 It is unclear why there is such a difference in half life depending on the route of administration but this may be related to sequestring of buprenorphine in the oral mucosa.”

from this study:

I am amazed that the drug could stay in the mouth tissue for days. Always thought it would absorb into the bloodstream ina matter of hours.