• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How the feds are fueling America’s opioid disaster

avcpl

Bluelighter
http://nypost.com/2016/12/19/how-the-feds-are-fueling-americas-opioid-disaster/

Federal policy is unquestionably making the nation’s opioid problem worse — while also inflicting collateral damage on Americans in genuine need of pain medication.

And this disaster is being further driven by a myth that has gained additional credence from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest guidelines for prescribing opioids.

The myth: that lax prescription of opioid drugs, such as oxycodone, is a primary driver of addiction. This notion has triggered a nationwide crackdown on these prescriptions in the name of preventing addiction and saving lives, an action that has been a catastrophe by almost any measure.

Dissenting opinions do exist. Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, a group that promotes strict control of prescriptions, admits that chronic pain patients have a “very legitimate fear” of restrictions. Yet the group, which was involved in formulating the CDC guidelines, nonetheless recommends a one-size-fits-all daily cap on the permissible opioid dose, regardless of the patient.

Reviewers have rightly criticized PROP for using shoddy evidence in support of its findings. In the past decade, more than a dozen professional papers — including a systematic analysis known as a “Cochrane Review” of 26 other studies, and a 38-study review in the journal Pain — have debunked the idea that addiction routinely starts with legal use. In most cases, it doesn’t; people who use prescription opioids properly and legally rarely become addicts.

Overwhelmingly, the ones who become addicted are those who start off using opioids for recreational purposes. The next stop is street drugs.

Paradoxically, the CDC guidelines managed to harm both addicts and patients with legitimate needs in one fell swoop. Consider OxyContin — a major drug of choice for addicts that in 2010 was reformulated to make it far harder to abuse.

Illegal OxyContin use did indeed plummet immediately — but abusers then switched in droves to heroin, which is far more dangerous, and deaths from heroin overdose soared from 3,000 in 2009 to 13,000 in 2015.

Worse still, black-marketeers are now blending fentanyl — a highly potent, synthetic version of heroin — with heroin itself, or substituting it outright for the “natural” drug. That’s responsible for much of the soaring ODs.

The Department of Health in Ohio — which has the highest number of opioid deaths in the nation — reported in 2015 that more than 80 percent of opioid deaths arose from heroin or fentanyl, up from 20 percent in 2010. Health agencies in Florida and Massachusetts report similar trends. It’s now indisputable that most recent opioid deaths result from heroin/fentanyl, not pain pills.

Another side of the equation is the cruel and needless suffering inflicted on blameless Americans who can no longer easily get pain medications. Just as addicts will do almost anything to feed their addiction, people in severe pain will do what is needed to escape it — even suicide.

Indeed, escaping pain is becoming increasingly difficult. People who have been treated appropriately and responsibly for years are now finding it difficult to obtain the relief they need, even from the same doctors. And you can’t blame the doctors.

Physicians rightly view the CDC “advice” as anything but voluntary. With the DEA looking over their shoulders, they fear losing their licenses for overprescribing. This creates just another wall between doctors and patients, many of whom are now forced to cope with their pain by using non-opioid, over-the-counter drugs such as Advil and Tylenol. These drugs are less effective and also carry their own risks, chiefly liver, kidney, stomach and heart toxicity.

But perhaps nothing illustrates the folly of government policies better than the rising number of pain sufferers who turn to street heroin because they can no longer get legal medication. What a travesty.

As a nation, we now find ourselves in a worse place than before this simple-minded crackdown began. While the most vulnerable suffer, rivers of the real killer drugs pour into our country illegally unabated.

“First, do no harm” is the essence of the Hippocratic Oath. Federal policymakers should honor that principle — and abandon their cruel and unconscionable war on pain medication.

Josh Bloom is director of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the American Council on Science and Health.

^more of that is needed in media.

PROP is nothing more than the suboxone lobby.

I agree. I rarely see any reports about opiates in the media, other than how they're single-handedly ripping our societal fabric apart of course 8) Some of the stories are absurdly biased in favor of the "opiates are highly dependence-forming/addictive and have questionable benefits long-term" narrative. AFAIK narcotic opiates are still pretty much the gold standard in palliative care and certain kinds of chronic pain...for some people, including people in my own family with serious orthopedic problems, they're the only medication class that at least minimizes pain

As far as I'm concerned the biggest problem resulting from a legitimate Rx opiate dependence is the problem of access, and that's a problem that the government has created.

Yeah, that's why I posted it, even though technically it's an opinion piece, it is so rare to hear any other views in the media. I thought maybe people could forward it to others that also are pain management patients, like myself, and know that we need to be strong and fight for our right to live pain free.

Another article that came out yesterday:

Opioid drugs make pain tolerable, most long-term users say

At the center of the nation’s opioid crisis is a simple fact: Large numbers of Americans experience serious pain, and the vast majority of those who have used strong painkillers for a long period say they work.

more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...make-pain-tolerable-most-long-term-users-say/

I'm unsure about this claim:

In the past decade, more than a dozen professional papers — including a systematic analysis known as a “Cochrane Review” of 26 other studies, and a 38-study review in the journal Pain — have debunked the idea that addiction routinely starts with legal use. In most cases, it doesn’t; people who use prescription opioids properly and legally rarely become addicts.

The reviews cited don't claim nearly as much certainty as this author seems to have.

That said, I agree absolutely that limiting patient access to medications is utterly counterproductive.

I wonder why when I went to doctor withdrawing from heroin his automatic remedy was 12mg of suboxone a day, which was too high of a dose. Why no discussion of helping me quit heroin with other drugs that are not as addictive/opiods?

I obviously want to quit heroin so the argument for keeping me shooting up again can be true but it wasn't on the table, just take the sub he said and we will see. I feel like it's legal drug dealing...

I got hooked from the street btw...

100% the stern pharm cycle. No one wants to cure shit. Just look at the Hep c cure...It's like 1000 a pill, and the treatment takes weeks. Who the hell can afford that except extremely wealthy ppl?

They would rather keep squeezing ppl for money to make them better...Plus everyone makes out on pushing g pills. Drs, drug companies, insurance, pharmacies, lobbyist...Could keep going.

But its way easier to Rx a pill then Rx another pill for the side effects of the first pill.