• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

how should i go about eating these mushrooms ive found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanonthebeach

Greenlighter
so its been raining down here for about a week and i found some mushrooms growing in lose knit groups down by the water. i am almost certain that these mushrooms are panaeolus cinctulus (pan subbs), seeing as i've seen a couple pictures online that look identical to the ones i picked. this is my second year shroom hunting and i have a binder where i wrote the information on the three types of psilocybe shrooms that grow in my state, the most common being pan subs after rainfall. i've done a lot of reasearch but it is hard for me to just dive in, and i dont think i should just eat 1.5 grams off the bat, even though there are no deadly look alikes. is there any way to test that they are what i think they are? like possibly i would just eat one to make sure they're good? im not even sure why im worried that i picked the wrong kind, maybe because ive never done shrooms, its dry as fuck were i live, ive been looking for 6 years now.

if you an unidentified shroom, then you are an idiot....is the possibility of tripping worth the risk of possibly being royally fucked?
I've looked for shrooms for 30 years and the only ones i ever had the balls to eat were the ones i grew.
For me, it comes down tro risk worth reward...never wanted to get high that bad...
and if by chance it is poisonous, "just one" will still fuck you.

Have you done a spore print? Have you measured the stalk, ascertained if it is hollow, solid, hairy? Studied the gills; are they crowded, close, distant, adnate, adnexed, free? Are there rings? I only eat mushrooms that I have foraged when I am 100% certain of the species and even then I only eat a very small amount the first time and slowly increase the amount I consume eat time. There is fear-mongering surrounding the consumption of foraged mushrooms and I, to a point, find it to be unreasonable. Of the 3,000 deaths from food poisoning in the USA last year, only 17 were from eating foraged mushrooms (http://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-11-11/foraging-for-mushrooms#). Most foragers are very responsible when it comes to mushroom consumption. I am not advising to go out and eat every mushroom you find, I am arguing that if you consult the guide books, do the spore print, compare photos, post to forums where other dilettante mycologists can confirm your findings, then I believe there is nothing idiotic or irresponsible about trying a very small amount to determine edibility. Further, there are only a few mushrooms that kill--not to mitigate the severity of eating foraged mushrooms with abandon-- and so eating a small amount, if say you have misidentified a mushroom, should be able to be treated, most of the time without even having to go to A&E.

I just last week foraged some delicious wine-caps in my front garden and, after studying and comparing characteristics and doing the spore print, I tasted them one night and had a delicious dinner the next after determining that I had no reaction. Haha I know that is a bit off topic but damn they were so tasty!

Anyway, vanonthebeach definitely take pictures of the mushrooms and the spore print and post them to a forum along with all their characteristics so you can have help identifying them.

I agree with phuckingnutz. It would be incredibly irresponsible and foolhardy to consume wild mushrooms unless, of course, you're a mycologist or at least able to properly identify whichever mushroom species you've procured—which you admit you are not able to do.

Many mushroom species are difficult to distinguish and properly identify even for experts. Moreover, eating a poisonous mushroom isn't always tantamount to, say, getting bit by a snake, in that you can just get to a hospital forthwith and live to tell about it later. In many cases, poisonous mushrooms contain toxins that don't yet have an antidote—effectively making their consumption an irrevocable death sentence.

I'm not telling you what to do, but you've been warned. Mushrooms are far more likely to be toxic than hallucinogenic. So just be aware that your unidentified mushroom has a far greater probability of killing you than getting you high.

the spore print should be ready in a few hours, and there is no ring seeing as they were a little young when i harvested them. im trying to figure out how to get the photos i took from my camera to this new labtop. but everything else seems to match up with my notes on panaolus cinctulus. if the spore print comes back jet black then i will of confirmed it. can you post id pictures on bluelight? thanks you guys.

okay you guys, so the spore print came out black (what its supposed to be). and although there are some look alikes to it that also have black spore prints, none of them are poisonouse. the mushrooms stem, gills, and cap are all the right color, and it looks identical to several different pictures of panaoulus cinctulus. i really think it is.

okay you guys, so the spore print came out black (what its supposed to be) the mushrooms stem, gills, and cap are all the right color, and it looks identical to several different pictures of panaoulus cinctulus. i really think it is.

Oh...by all means eat the fucker...if we don't hear back from you we''ll know we were right and you are dead.

It is a huge & unnecessary risk to life to eat any mushroom about which the indentity is anything less than 100% certain. Do not do it. Simple.

Well I mean they could be something like destroying angels, but I mean saving like 20$ is totally worth it, no?

I understand where OP is coming from, it's not about saving $20, there's something really amazing about finding mushrooms in the wild. But unless you have really studied up on mycology, and have gone out IDing various mushrooms for some time, it really is a risk you shouldn't take.

In N.America (don't know if you're from there but I am) we have a culture that is very frightened of wild mushrooms, which is a bit of a shame. There are very few varieties that can actually kill you, and most of those are pretty easily identified. But unless you really really know which ones those are, you are running a risk of dying, which would be a shame.

Join a local mycology club or go on a walk with some old mushroomers to learn up from real people not just books and the web. Mushroom people are fanatical and pretty fun to hang out with.

theres just never been shroom hookups in my town for the last 6 years (town of 6,000 people). but you guys are right. i wont eat them. not worth it. everything about them seems alright except the stems are to thin. the seed of doubt has been planted fuck it. although i would still like to identify it properly, so i can build my skills and one day trust my judgement. i really enjoy mushroom hunting.

Last edited:
Make an account on Shroomery, take pictures of the mushrooms, and upload them in the identification thread. The shroom-heads will definitely find out for you :) Also, I've heard that any mushrooms with jet black spore prints just so happen to be non-poisonous. I'd do a little more research on this though.

yeah thats what i was thinking. im in the process of drying them so in the meantime i can do some seriouse reasearch but i think ive ruled off pan subbs just because the stems are to thin, but that might just be cause their young. either way the shroomery account is a good idea if i can just figure out how to make one. thanks!

We don't allow mushroom hunting questions here, we cannot help ID them and do not support eating found mushrooms unless you have the proper training. The Shroomery may have a different policy but still it requires a lot of reading and knowing how to identify them using so called keys. That may require a microscope as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.