• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How should I go about convincing guardian To check me for ADHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kookoopoopers

Greenlighter
I Believe I have ADHD because of my lack of motivation, Lack of concentration, and anxiety. My sister who is my legal guardian has recently( past couple months) caught me drunk ( I was actually on benzos but didnt tell her that ) and in that state, admitted to smoking weed. Two times after that I was caught with cigarrettes so you can imagine how little trust she has in me. My grades are suffering due to my lack of focus and motivation and she's mad about that too. The whole problem I'm having is if I go tell her I want to be tested for ADHD she will just think I'm trying to get meds just for a buzz. My question is how should I get her to realize that i might have ADHD and should get tested without actually saying anything to make her even more suspicious of me? Teachers, counselor, what??

From what I understand, weed can cause a lack of motivation. Maybe limit your intake and see if that helps?

Your sister will be suspicious of you regardless. Trust is EARNED. Show her you can be trusted.

Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing if you're biased or uninformed, most people are a bit of both. I'd say your best bet would be letting your sister know you've felt mentally off, and would like to see your doctor to discuss the symptoms. Proceed to do just that, don't tell them what disorder you think you have, just the symptoms you experience.

No reason to be suspicious at that, and likely it's the best starting point regardless. Hope to hear things work out, and you get back to feeling better.

If uour really worried about ADHD honesty ADHD meds don't work. Smoke some more weed that does wonders for ADHD, is a lot safer, and isn't addictive.

However if you do want to it will be tough since youve been caught with dugs. but the trick isn't in your parents, it's in school. Go to your school counseler and tell him/her that your having trouble focusing in school. . Twitch and show signs of ADHD but never say you have ADHD. Do a lot of research but pretend like you don't know anything. Then she will. Call your parents and tell then suggest you to a psycharotrist and from there it's easy.

If uour really worried about ADHD honesty ADHD meds don't work. Smoke some more weed that does wonders for ADHD, is a lot safer, and isn't addictive.

However if you do want to it will be tough since youve been caught with dugs. but the trick isn't in your parents, it's in school. Go to your school counseler and tell him/her that your having trouble focusing in school. . Twitch and show signs of ADHD but never say you have ADHD. Do a lot of research but pretend like you don't know anything. Then she will. Call your parents and tell then suggest you to a psycharotrist and from there it's easy.

You are more than welcome to state your opinion lookyboop, but please dont state your opinion as if it were a fact. ADHD meds work for a good majority of the people who take them for ADHD..that is not to say that, in my opinion, it is probably way over diagnosed. A lot of kids are put on meds for ADHD when other methods of treatment might work rather than just throwing them all on meds...but that is a whole other discussion. If you don't feel that your statement (about ADHD meds not working) is opinion but instead, a fact, then please site some sources for this information.
Also, the OP is a young kid who is still living under the jurisdiction of his family member and so most likely he is under legal age. In addition to that it sounds like he is also already having some difficulties and getting into trouble due to his use of weed and other illicit drugs. His grades are suffering and his sister is very upset with him. He is looking to go about fixing his suspected ADHD (which he feels is contributing to alot of his problems) in a legit way by wanting to see a doc and get on meds that are not going to get him into trouble..or at least it is something that will not be illegal for him to take.
So why would you encourage him to continue and to do MORE illegal drugs that is only going to cause him a lot more problems. He is a minor (I assume from his post)and I think it is a super bad idea to sway him from thinking about talking to someone and getting some type of treatment (whatever that ends up being) and encourage him to do more weed. Remember, this is a harm reduction site and it doesnt just apply to taking meds/drugs safely in a physical manner.

OP, I agree with what was said by someone earlier that rather than going to your sister or teacher/counselor and saying hey I think I have ADHD and would like to get on some meds for that because I think it is the root of my problems you should just approach it as something like, Hey I am having some difficulties with studying, motivation, concentration etc etc and let them take the lead. That way it doesnt appear that you are drug seeking. You may or may not have ADHD but it does sound like you could use some guidance and help in figuring out what is going on and how to make things a little better. You may be surprised at what you eventually figure out the problems. I would definitely keep an open mind and not just be stubborn about the fact that you think it is ADHD. I also agree with what Tude said about the weed causing some issues with motivation. Sounds like you are doing/experimenting with a lot of substances right now and 9 times out of 10 doing a lot of drugs will cause ALL of the problems you mentioned that you are having. So I would keep that in mind and try to cut back..

Whenever there is someone young and still underage here on BL, I always treat them with respect and still give them advice (when regarding drugs). Rather than preach or fuss at someone and tell them not to do it we want to try to make sure that you do what you are doing in the safest way possible. That being said, (and I am definitely not trying to be condescending so please do not be offended) do you think that maybe your school work is suffering due to being distracted by other things right now? Maybe doing different drugs is part of what is affecting your school work so badly. Before you started using drugs how were your grades and your relationship with your sister? Thats the other thing, think of all the problems that using is causing you right now as far as getting into trouble and your sister no longer trusting you..are you doing the drugs because you are curious? Friends all doing them? Makes it feel easier to deal with other shit you might have going on in your life right now? Do you think that you might do them to help cope with issues you might have going on? (hell, being a teen in itself is stressful enough). Again, with all due respect, just remember you have the rest of your life to make the decision to try out and use different drugs but as long as you are living with and dependent on family (and in school), using drugs is only going to cause you way more trouble than it is pleasure.

The relevant info here seems to have been covered. This is now in the realm of having too much drug discussion within to be appropriate in Second Opinion. Closed as per the forum guidelines. PM any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.