• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How She Feels About the Pandemic (Drawing)

Duh. I knew there was a message in there somewhere. What if it really was chemical warfare. The extra mol. 😮 ♡🕊 Ya think.

1gzgiupsw6481.png

To be fair it probably started with smaller things like the jews being banned from certain events. I'm no history expert but i seem to recall this from what i've gathered over the years. Mostly from school i guess.

To be fair it probably started with smaller things like the jews being banned from certain events. I'm no history expert but i seem to recall this from what i've gathered over the years. Mostly from school i guess.
Yeah, it started slowly, but it started with stores.
Germany was very concerned with Jews having taken over shops all over towns,
after WW1 the population were fucking poor, and the Jewish were still pretty rich,
so piece by piece they got taken out of business.
then over the years came other laws removing certain rights from Jews,
in 1938 even renaming them all to either "israel" if they were male or "sara" if they were female.

Then as the war started the "worker camps" came into play.
The German population got a good show at concentration camps like Theresienstadt,
one of the many "camps for show". They were just prisons, actually pretty fancy.
The general population had no idea of that mess, only SS/SA/Abwehr knew.
The Nazis were pretty damned good at masking what they were doing.

It all came out after the war, when the camps were freed.

It's an interesting question, re: how much the German public knew about the Holocaust. I think the answer lies somewhere in between "they knew nothing about what was happening" and "they knew everything about what was happening".

Information was tightly controlled in Germany during that time period but soldiers who had served in Eastern Europe (and who had participated in mass executions) trickled back into Germany throughout the war, taking their memories and even photographs/mementos of the genocide with them. So I definitely think that the knowledge of what was going on, even in the form of rumors and hearsay, was fairly widespread...but, on the other hand, they definitely did not have the full picture of what was happening in the death camps, none of which were located in Germany (although as Ian Kershaw notes, there was a general knowledge that terrible things were happening to the Jews and assorted other enemies of the Nazis in the east, although the specifics weren't totally known) and the Holocaust did not feature at all in Nazi propaganda.

It's an interesting question, re: how much the German public knew about the Holocaust. I think the answer lies somewhere in between "they knew nothing about what was happening" and "they knew everything about what was happening".

this is a good read: Hitler's Willing Executioners

"The book challenges several common ideas about the Holocaust that Goldhagen believes to be myths. These "myths" include the idea that most Germans did not know about the Holocaust; that only the SS, and not average members of the Wehrmacht, participated in murdering Jews; and that genocidal antisemitism was a uniquely Nazi ideology without historical antecedents."

tl;dr it's closer to the latter than the former.

alasdair

^ some people in my home state actually attended a city council meeting where a mask mandate for indoor businesses was being discussed and wore those stars. Oh the inconvenience of wearing a mask for a few minutes while visiting a retail location during a pandemic, it's just like being a Jew during the Holocaust!

It's one of those things where you don't know whether to laugh or be depressed..