• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How severe will my withdrawals from oxycodone/hydrocodone be? Anything to ease it?

Well, 6 days in and I thought I was out of the woods...but I'm not.

It's tough to explain because it's not that I feel bad, it just feel like I'm empty, or in a shell of myself, uninterested maybe. Like I almost need relearn things I enjoy because all my usual daily activities just seem uninteresting to me now.

I Slept ok last night, at one point I woke up in a pool of sweat even though my AC was blasting but it was a decent sleep overall. Now I'm sitting here at work once again just kind of interested. Just sitting in my office with nothing going on, normally I'd go bs with a co worker or something but I'm just sitting here, in thought...but my mind is blank.

I don't know what to make of it really. It's not making me want to go in my bag and grab a perc (they are with me). Rather like I need to tell my boss see you in a week and take a spur of the moment vacation.

What's happened is that over time your neurotransmitters (Dopamine, Endorphins, and Serotonin) have been in excessively high use because pain killers make them dump out large amounts of their chemicals - which is what gives you that "high, euphoric" feeling. Now that you've gotten off of the pain killers those neurotransmitters aren't operating like they naturally should... and aren't producing what they "should" be producing. This will come back in time but unfortunately that's what it takes... time. So that's why you're having these foggy, sluggish, lethargic, blah types of moods every day. There are a lot of ways to help your body start to get those neurotransmitters back in proper working order - just do a bit of Google searching. They have specifics products/vitamins out there that are - for all intents and purposes - made specifically for people in your situation. I don't know if I'm allowed to name any product names or post any links (don't think I am) but they're not hard to find, trust me. Try Googling something like 'natural supplements to help with opiate withdrawal' and you should get some easy results.

P.S. - It sounds cliche, but exercising/lifting weights seems to really help a lot of people. It naturally increases Endorphins and Dopamine - although such activities sound terrible when you don't feel like doing anything. But hey even a brisk walk around the block could help!

I have googled exactly that before, one specific product that I keep seeing seems a little difficult to get a hold of. The gym will definitely be my best natural outlet. I normally do racquetball 3x a week but other guy couldn't play on tuesday. Tomorrow hopefully we're getting on the court, I'm sure it'll help.

It's also s good excuse to take my dog for some extended walks, he enjoys it too.

I have googled exactly that before, one specific product that I keep seeing seems a little difficult to get a hold of. The gym will definitely be my best natural outlet. I normally do racquetball 3x a week but other guy couldn't play on tuesday. Tomorrow hopefully we're getting on the court, I'm sure it'll help.

It's also s good excuse to take my dog for some extended walks, he enjoys it too.

Sounds like a dang good plan. That's one of the more difficult things in your part of the detox process: that tired, no energy, sloth-like state. All you wanna do is mope around and sit on the couch but if you can make yourself man up and push through it then it'll help out a lot.

P.S. - I forgot that you mentioned you slept fairly well but woke up covered in sweat. In my experience those irritating clammy, cold sweats is almost the most irritating of the detox symptoms. Seems like it;s the first symptom to appear and one of the last to go away. I'm pretty sure it's caused/partially caused by spikes in adrenaline (even when you're asleep) because your brain isn't responding to the chemical. Or something like that... to be honest I read up about it a while back but can't remember what all the article said :? . Anyway, I don't think there's really anything you can do for it. One thing that definitely helped/helps me with the random surge(s) in sweating is a drug called Clonodine. It's a prescription drug that's technically for blood pressure but tons of people - myself included - really depend on it for their opiate withdrawal symptoms. But at this point in your detox it'd be pointless in my opinion to even worry about trying to get a script for it.

EDIT: Just thought of something. I'm currently tapering off of my pain meds for my chronic shoulder pain - so we're in a similar situation, but I'm muuuch farther behind than you as my doctor and I are tapering me down very slowly (which is fine for me). Anyway my point is that I too suffer from night sweats - even with the Clonodine (although it helps minimize it tremendously). Before I started tapering off my meds and I was just in my usual daily routine I always slept in just boxers. BUT, here recently I've been sleeping in a plain white t-shirt when I go to bed. It's not what I prefer of course, but I have like 15 of them and they fit pretty snug - so when I wake up in the night and I've had a particularly bad night sweat, it's my shirt that's pretty wet and not so much my sheets. All I do is take the thing off, sit up for a minute and let the fan cool me down and dry me off, and then I lay back down. Some night I'll even put on a fresh shirt if I feel like it's a good idea. Might not be something you're interested in but I thought I'd mention it; for me it's much better to sleep in a shirt and then change it in the middle of the night if I need to and be fresh and dry than to wake up and my sheets be uncomfortably covered in sweat as I try in vein to fall back asleep on them.

Last edited:
The literature about this topic usually contains unsubstantiated claims about the posters experience.
I was amazed to have learned that a larger percentage of the addicts finally grew so tired of the repercussions
that this guy, who partied along side the best (worst?) Let go, finally. Brainwashed by our governments propaganda
regarding personal choice being a felony, I and most of my departed friends actually feared the following scenario
I'm sure I daydreamed about big, new, plungers full of 4mg Subutex - After my car was totaled not by my fault,
So..... When shits just making you lose faith, feel fucking crazy, rely on what GOD asks of you, even if you don't
believe GIVE IT 4 SUNDAYS and find whatever GOD is in you. AA has less than 5% SUCCESS! People who are addicts avoid
people out of shame. You can use the mind and GODS spirit and he will give you what you ask for

Time for a change, you like myself are cursed with being labeled " A highly functioning addict." At the age of 33 in 1996 I hid a crazy expensive Oxy habit for 4 years.
Rehab took me to Parkside in Columbus Ohio and way back in 2005 I was introduced to Suboxone. That saved my life, and gave me a life until I was in a bad wreck. The
doc put me on 120 Subutex a month for 18 months. Doc Villa is in Federal prison and I became a prisoner to the needle. ME! Of all people, who is scared of bees, runs from wasps,
and hates vaccines. Chemically Induced and even taught by a former R.N. I lasted another 5 years at my job, only asked to leave after my driving record showed a misdemeanor
possession of less than a gram. Anyway, back to my subutex shooting. I feel sick when I look back at the power I wielded to influence people simply because if I said we were going
to hang out that night, I was very liberal as my doc gave me 120 Subutex (before they went generic) 90 Ultrams , 90 Zanaflex, so I was flush with all I could use. 5 years pass, I am
unemployed, missed a pill count, and was told that this is the last script I am giving you. I was sick June, July, and August of 2014. No more needles have entered my temple of God.

Hey everyone, I read all of your replys. I won't be answering one by one as its a lot, especially on a phone but I did read each and everyone...thank you.

Yesterday made the 7 day mark. Got to play some early morning racquetball which was a GODSEND. I've always been a heavy sweater, but I definitely sweat more than usual yesterday...I literally felt the toxins leaving. Felt pretty good all day too. Had my moments where my mind would wander but nothing that's even considered a bother.

Put myself together a little supplement stack of L-tyrosine, a good multi, mega dose of vitamin c and fish oil.

My only wish is I could leave work right now and go play a sport. I've always loved the gym/competitive sports but I feel like right now it's hitting home more than ever.

UPDATE

Thursday made two full weeks. The lethargy seems to have gotten slightly worse. I was very tired all day on Thursday while I was off, but I also had a very bad sleep the night before. Guess I'm still adjusting.

One big side effect of using is my sex drive decreased over time pretty bad, became almost non existent as of late. Any idea how long that takes too return?