Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How Safe Are Research Chemicals?

DerDiebKommt

Bluelighter
Hi everyone.

With some resarch I've found a RC I'd like to try called 1P-LSD, which is supposed to be pretty much like the normal LSD but legal due to a different structure. This would be my first RC I've tried.

But due to these chemicals being strictly for research purposes there is not really any knowledge of any bad effects that any RCs can have on your body and health. Of course I know if any drug I do effects me badly it's entirely my fault. I do research on about every new drug I try to make sure I'm not hurting myself. But with research chemicals this research cannot always be done.

How safe would you all say research chemicals really are? What research chemicals should I stay away from? What research chemicals should I try?

Thanks!

In comparison to stuff bought at street level - Less likely to get cut/adulterated product with research chemicals.. Not necessarily any 'cleaner' with regards to the quality of production ie. there is often by-product left-overs from the synthesis. Also, research suppliers can, from time to time, send the wrong stuff/get bags mixed up. Most of the 1p available is thought to be from the same batch and it takes a certain level of know-how to produce. Chances are, you'll be okay, quality-wise, with the 1p if they're the ones with the molecular structure on them. Start low - you can always have more later on. Hope this helps, stay safe :)

-Reagent testing is an option if you want to make sure you're getting what you asked for.
-Don't pay attention to the five star reviews on the vendor's site, always look for experience reports from impartial forums (like bluelight, erowid can be helpful..)
-If you do end up getting a tab, make sure it's not bitter and numbing on the tongue. There's a series of hallucinogenic compounds (25i-n-bome, n-boh etc) that are potent enough to end up on tabs.. They're not particularly something you'd want to take as several people have overdosed. It is highly unlikely that a trustworthy vendor will even have this stuff though, let alone pass it off as something it isn't.

As you've noted, they're called research chemicals because they haven't been fully researched. There are some really dangerous ones out there. Based on most evidence though, 1P-LSD seems to be quite benign and its similarity to LSD bodes well.

As has been suggested, you should reagent test it with Ehrlich's reagent to at least be sure what you take is a lysergamide.

It's against bluelight's rules for us to tell you what drugs to try.

As you've noted, they're called research chemicals because they haven't been fully researched.

Why do so many people think that?

They are called research chemicals so they can be sold legally as "For research purposes only - not for human consumption". It has nothing to do with the amount of research that's been done on the chemical. The idea is that you, the buyer, are a scientist of some kind and are using the chemicals for some kind of experiments, instead of being someone that's buying them for their psychoactive effects.

As for the original question, there's no clear answer. There are so many different RC's out there and each will have a different safety profile (whether you know what that is or not). Some are known to be safer than others, some have obvious side effects, in the end you can only go off of anecdotal evidence and read up all the reports people post about them, then decide if you can accept whichever level of risk comes with that.

You have old first class psychedelics with a contrasted safety profile. They just never went public so ended up forbidden. As long as psychedelics NBOMe's, br-d-fly or 5-meo-amt seem to be the only really dangerous ones. That's not saying all the rest are perfectly safe. You've got all the spectrum. Tryptamines and lisergiamides have some of the best safest profiles of all drugs.

The opiates, synthetic cannabinoids and stimulants RC's are quite obscure in general. Didn't avoid noids and stimulants and they gave me lots of trouble. But then again the originals of those ones gave me problems too. RC's were quite more harmful though.

Apb's empathogens are quite safe if taken right. At least 5-apb,6-apb,6-apdb,5-mapb.

And I wouldn't call the disociatives scene safe. But it's boiling interesting at the moment with really interesting compounds growing like mushrooms. But some of them are as good as dangerous.

At the end of the day, the get serious and safe into RC's is reading a lot, testing products, testing waters carefully and listening to your body.
The best RC's normally are the most popular. So you can get an idea of what people is liking here, looking at how much posts are attracting their Big & Dandy threads.

If you just want to get high I'll stay with originals. But if curiosity always whispers in your ear, go towards it as carefully as a cat.

1p-LSD is definitely worth trying. And completely safe at reasonable doses. Ya I say that with no proof whatsoever, and I'll bet of my money...ya I'm poor :)

The dose makes the poison (Paracelsus).

Last edited:
1. All research chemicals are different
2. We're not always sure how safe researched chemicals are

They are called research chemicals so they can be sold legally as "For research purposes only - not for human consumption". It has nothing to do with the amount of research that's been done on the chemical. The idea is that you, the buyer, are a scientist of some kind and are using the chemicals for some kind of experiments, instead of being someone that's buying them for their psychoactive effects.

This.

As for the original question, there's no clear answer. There are so many different RC's out there and each will have a different safety profile (whether you know what that is or not). Some are known to be safer than others, some have obvious side effects, in the end you can only go off of anecdotal evidence and read up all the reports people post about them, then decide if you can accept whichever level of risk comes with that.

Yeah, and some RC's are actually just substances that are commonly used as prescription drugs in other parts of the world, but that were never officially marketed in the US and thus remained unscheduled.

Take Etizolam, for example. In the West it is considered an RC, yet to many Asians it is just something you'd get scripted for anxiety or insomnia, basically the same as what Xanax is to Americans.
Or Tianeptine - in various European nations it is a proven, well-tolerated antidepressant (although how it works exactly is still not completely understood); to Americans, it is sold as an RC or "nootropic", and some use it at tens of times the recommended dose to get high off its mild opioid effect.

I don't know if I can say any more after the response by The Hypnotist...and I quite like the cheeky metaphorical response by TheAppleCore, noting that the 'research chemicals' umbrella encompasses nearly any class of drug being sold on the grey market. And then theres also the grey-grey market such as Hodor mentioned with regional differences in legal scheduling, making etizolam, tianeptine, phenibut, and racetams sort of like research chemical status (some qualifiable as 'nootropics') for people in the West.

As it's already been elaborated on, nobody can say for sure. All I can say is that lysergamides, as a class, appear to be some of the safer drugs, and there haven't been any reported deaths from 1p-LSD toxicity. It seems to be safer than other RCs such as the nbomes or dox, but no one can definitively tell you how safe it is, or that it's "safe". All you can really do is research RCs carefully beforehand and then decide for yourself whether or not it's worth the risk. I will say this though, *in general*, not as a rule, the tryptamine RCs have a better safety profile than the phens/dissos. There have been deaths associated with some of the latter. Not the former as far as I'm aware, doesn't mean it can't happen but if you dose carefully and are properly informed they do seem to be safer, at least as far as toxicity goes.

Granted, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek but yes, they are called research chemicals so they can be sold with a 'not for human consumption' label, because they are not approved by the FDA, because...

How many people participate in trials of new OTC or prescription drugs? 100? 1000? 5000? More people than that have done 1p-LSD by now. It's weird that people accept when big pharma says something is safe. Recreational drugs aren't ever approved the man, safe or not. So if you are waiting for their seal of approval you are going to be waiting a long time.

Granted, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek but yes, they are called research chemicals so they can be sold with a 'not for human consumption' label, because they are not approved by the FDA, because...

Nothing to do with the FDA, the world is a bit bigger than that.

Why do so many people think that?

Finally someone thath gets that part! ;)
There are RC's out here with more research (knowledge) about them then what we call Drugs.

Hi everyone.

With some resarch I've found a RC I'd like to try called 1P-LSD, which is supposed to be pretty much like the normal LSD but legal due to a different structure. This would be my first RC I've tried.

But due to these chemicals being strictly for research purposes there is not really any knowledge of any bad effects that any RCs can have on your body and health. Of course I know if any drug I do effects me badly it's entirely my fault. I do research on about every new drug I try to make sure I'm not hurting myself. But with research chemicals this research cannot always be done.

How safe would you all say research chemicals really are? What research chemicals should I stay away from? What research chemicals should I try?

Thanks!

Stay away from all recreational drugs!

But for reel you ar safe wit 1P-LSD physically anyhow (If you dont take it in LD-dosage's) i have accidentally taken around 1-2mg handling it (inposible to say ho much i got in my body tho) I hade made liquid of it and was handling it without safety gloves ad gott 98% 1P-LSD in 99% alkohol solution spilled all over my hand. And i can say im glad i know my psychedelics!! it was one hell of a trip (Good tho) lasting really long so i think the 1-propionyl is extending the length more then if it would have din without it. Then Psychedelics can trigger latent psychological diseases.

And do more research since the question if "research chemicals" is safe or not kind of gives me a reed flag that more research is needed. I just got hooked to a RC that is deadly.. so it REALLY depends on what chemical not if its sold / labeled as a RC!

How many people participate in trials of new OTC or prescription drugs? 100? 1000? 5000? More people than that have done 1p-LSD by now. It's weird that people accept when big pharma says something is safe. Recreational drugs aren't ever approved the man, safe or not. So if you are waiting for their seal of approval you are going to be waiting a long time.

Exact!
For many years ago i were in a research group researching 4-AcO-DiPT and then we concluded it was safe! (Beginning of the 21sentury) and before that it hade a fair amount of research already and it's still a RC i think today? Or have the FDA or EMA stamped a approved fore plant growth on it ;)