How quickly does steroid use suppress natural testosterone production?

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Recently I made a thread here where I was discussing my desire to try testosterone supplementation for the main purpose of capturing the neuroactive benefits of testosterone, namely improved mood, decreased anxiety, increased energy, etc.

A number of people on here have spoken about the improvements they've gotten in this regard. However as a guy in his thirties with already high testosterone blood levels in the 900ng/dl range, I'm less certain I'll see these improvements, and may possibly become even more anxious, wired and with worsened insomnia. Interestingly, this experiment showed large increases of stress/cortisol when dominant men were dosed with testosterone:

Still, in the off chance that I may see a significant benefit, I'm think I'd like to try. I sort of wrecked my GABA receptors via benzo abuse years ago, and wonder if the neuroactive effects of testosterone might be restorative to a degree.

But my question is, say I did a month of weekly injections only to find that high blood levels of testosterone only make me feel more on edge? If i stopped right away, assuming no PCT, how suppressed would my testosterone be?

A bit off topic but I tried testosterone supplementation with gel, 50mg per dose, didn't know how much to use so I did apply one sachet a day. Effects were mild, mostly a noticeable increase in libido (I have low T around 400mg/nl while being in my thirties) but no antidepressant effects. Think possibly I would need to dose higher. But now, after a few days I experienced a sudden, sharp pain in my left testicle, which lasted for a few hours, then subsided and didn't come again. Is this coincidence or a side effect? I know I should give injections a try to feel the full benefits of exogenous testosterone but this experience made me wary about putting one or two weeks worth of test into my body.

Also wonder about whether suppression of testosterone production by substituting it is reversible or not. Suppression by indirect agents like opiates seems to be partially reversible over extended time but not fully so, at least without extensive exercise. Heard that there were some drugs which could restart natural testosterone production, forgot their names unfortunately. Did you hear about that?

Never tried testosterone....just because i learn in normal highschool,not the sport school,when i used to be active sportsman..to the guys in sportschool they gave him a handful of pills before competition....nobody knows what's that.The trainers said vitamins...bullshit....that was the time that anabols were used a lot in some sports here.Now is a mode...never ever even comin' in my mind to use this...got no erectile problems nor active sportsman anymore.Got enough everyday physical activity...hatha yoga also.....but maniacs in gyms pop it like candies...or i.m. shot..,.and seems hilarious.why person wanna looks like that?A total mystery for me.....

Last edited:
A bit off topic but I tried testosterone supplementation with gel, 50mg per dose, didn't know how much to use so I did apply one sachet a day. Effects were mild, mostly a noticeable increase in libido (I have low T around 400mg/nl while being in my thirties) but no antidepressant effects. Think possibly I would need to dose higher. But now, after a few days I experienced a sudden, sharp pain in my left testicle, which lasted for a few hours, then subsided and didn't come again. Is this coincidence or a side effect? I know I should give injections a try to feel the full benefits of exogenous testosterone but this experience made me wary about putting one or two weeks worth of test into my body.

Also wonder about whether suppression of testosterone production by substituting it is reversible or not. Suppression by indirect agents like opiates seems to be partially reversible over extended time but not fully so, at least without extensive exercise. Heard that there were some drugs which could restart natural testosterone production, forgot their names unfortunately. Did you hear about that?

How long did you use the gel? I read that taking a very hot shower before applying the gel improves systemic absorption.

I was actually considering the gel over the injection since the transdermal testosterone results in a higher conversion to DHT (which is more neuroactive than testosterone).

Problem with the gel is that if my testosterone is naturally high (with my levels in my 20s well exceeding the normal range of 1100 or 1200ng/dl) I would probably need alot of gel to really feel a difference, probably two or three of those 50mg packets per day.

As far as if the suppression is permanent or not, i don't think so. In my mid 20s I foolishly consumed the oral prohormone superdrol (methasterone) at high doses for 6 weeks or so, and had my test levels checked a few weeks after and they were something like 45ng/dl. But I imagine if you do this at an older age and you won't bounce back.

But again, I'm just wondering the suppressive effect of say a shot or two of testosterone. I couldn't find any data on it through a casual search of the internet.

I'm pretty sure that testosterone supplementation won't help me out much considering I am far from deficient. But perhaps deficiency is relative. For instance i peaked at 1350ng/dl in my 20's and dropped to 850ng/dl in my 30s. While 850ng/dl is hardly a deficiency, it does represent a significant percentage change from peak levels.

I think it is worth a shot in the off chance it helps me out, but I'm merely wondering how bad I'll get shut down from a handful of shots.

If you are on edge and cant sleep you can drop your dose till you feel ok again. Im down to about 7mg a day or 14mg every other day.

I think the suppression is pretty much from day one - certainly within a week or two. But if you're test levels are already good why take more? Too much makes you feel wired, uncomfortable and you cant sleep for shit. Plus all the shit side effects like more red cells thickening up your blood so you are more susceptible to clots/strokes/heart attacks.

For depression its good but like anything - after a few months you adapt to it and the depression can creep back on you. I try and work on banishing depressive thoughts as soon as they arrive.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but I tried testosterone supplementation with gel, 50mg per dose, didn't know how much to use so I did apply one sachet a day. Effects were mild,

50mg a day? Wow. The human body makes from 3-10mg a day so 50mg a day is probably more than Ronnie Coleman took when he was Mr Olympia. But I dont know how effective the gels are. Injecting 50mg a day you wouldnt sleep a wink for at least 3-4 days and would feel wired and umcomfortable plus giving you every bad side-effect possible. The idea behind trt is a steady level of T with as few side-effects as possible.

50mg a day? Wow. The human body makes from 3-10mg a day so 50mg a day is probably more than Ronnie Coleman took when he was Mr Olympia. But I dont know how effective the gels are. Injecting 50mg a day you wouldnt sleep a wink for at least 3-4 days and would feel wired and umcomfortable plus giving you every bad side-effect possible. The idea behind trt is a steady level of T with as few side-effects as possible.
The dosage is so high because of transdermal application without one of these compounds which aid to deliver drugs through the skin and which name I forgot. Was something like HPBCT (was mentioned here on BL about getting DMT through the skin and people said it also works with testosterone) and I couldn't find a vendor - can't import powders legally anyways, sucks but it's how it is. Those 50mg gel packs were the only transdermal product available and I guess one can be happy if 5mg get absorbed. I hate injections specially when they aren't necessary but I might give i.m. shots a try given that I suffer from chronic depression and other symptoms of low test like intolerance to cold which, don't laugh, sucks because it reminds me of the body feelings while withdrawing from opioids. Not as bad but close enough to always remember it when taking a shower (apartment is pretty cold during the winter). But of course the cherry on top of less muscle wasting etc would be an anxiolytic, antidepressant effect which I read about that it was more sustainable than with most other drugs. And, of course, that it was legal, even OTC here. Just little pharmacies carry it.

Reactions: CFC
Were you rubbing it on your nutsack? Thats the best way apparantly. It does make them glow in the dark like in the ready brek advert tho.

Forget im - sub-cutaneous is better and easier. Takes it longer to break down in the fat under the skin and a lot less painful than IM.

Last edited:
Lol, pro bodybuilders use grams EOD

Lol, pro bodybuilders use grams EOD

Yes that's why they all drop dead at 37. Test is just the base for most tho - I don't think it's the best drug for building muscle on it's own. You'd be better off using a smaller dose of Test and taking other shit on top rather than 2g of test every day. Probably have blood as thick as sludge at that dose.

If you use Testosterone Cypionate or Enanthate you'll need about 5 weeks from the first shot to reach peak levels.
It is not very likely at all that you'll have trouble recovering from a relatively moderate dose of Testosterone of say 150 to 250mg per week.
Taurine (5g per day), NAC and royal jelly will help protect your testicles from damage while on cycle, making it more likely that your recovery will be complete.

Its strange how test supposedly takes weeks to feel yet once you are on it you can tell if you've taken a bigger dose within an hour.

It's by design. Test suspension you'll feel almost immediately.

All the esters have different times to reach peak levels,

two and a half days to peak level after any sustained use imho IM.. idk how long it takes to cancel natural output but my guess would be right away upon onset

Last edited:
Well I got some of the test gel and I'm going to give it try. Went with the gel since it will give me nice even levels and because it results in higher conversion to DHT.

Question is, how much get am I going to need to put on if I'm currently at just under 900ng/dl without anything?

I have a feeling i'll need alot of gel.

Why not focus on DHT hormones like Proviron or masteron instead? Then you can just take HCG to keep your testes producing testosterone.

Down-regulation will begin immediately - it's a fairly sensitive feedback loop. However it takes a while for production to completely cease, and also for damage to occur (if using supraphysiological doses). Assuming you don't do too much actual harm to the system by avoiding crazy doses, it'll spring back into life when you stop.

However, for the purposes you propose in the OP, you might want to try something like Proviron first.

Well I got some of the test gel and I'm going to give it try. Went with the gel since it will give me nice even levels and because it results in higher conversion to DHT.

Question is, how much get am I going to need to put on if I'm currently at just under 900ng/dl without anything?

I have a feeling i'll need alot of gel.
Are you rubbing it on your balls?