• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How quick does anyhdrous acetone become hydrous?

WombleC

Greenlighter
Hi,

I'm referring to Futura's MDMA acetone wash guide: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/642313-MDMA-Ecstasy-The-Ultimate-Clean-Filter-Acetone-Wash-amp-Crystalization

(First section about adding anhyd. magnesium sulphate to the hardware store acetone)

My question: is it safe to add another 10g of anyhdrous magnesium sulphate to the anhydrous acetone and shake to be sure there isn't any water in my (supposedly) anyhdrous acetone if I've had it sitting in the fridge for a few weeks?

Or should I first remove the "old" anhyd. magnesium sulphate? Or just shake again? Can the old sulphate re-absorb the water?

Chemistry newbie here that can only follow simple instructions so all answers are appreciated! Thanks!

How much access to moisture did it have in the fridge? Was it in a sealed container?

How much access to moisture did it have in the fridge? Was it in a sealed container?

Yeah, in a jam jar. But I'm wondering if it has already absorbed water when I opened the jar to take some acetone for the first wash that I did.

Last edited:
The original magnesium sulfate would get hydrated (would form like the heptahydrate), then it is saturated and cannot really do much else.

If you were to add more fresh magnesium sulfate then that would still have capacity as a desiccant until that, too, becomes saturated. Often when it is not saturated yet it still floats around in a suspension like fine particles but when everything is hydrated it gets clumpy.

How quickly anhydrous acetone becomes 'hydrous' again depends on how much time, air humidity and exposure surface there is... but worrying about a few moments when you pretty much have to open the container, that is just kind of hard to avoid and it's a bit OCD to worry over the small loss.

As far as desiccants go though: some like CaCl2 can absorb a lot of water but take time to do so, others like sodium sulfate or magnesium sulfate are much quicker to react but have quite limited capacity. They are good at what they do, but get exhausted quickly.

On a funny side-note, this being MED...
Make sure you don't get a Purple Heart
http://www.pillreports.net/index.php?page=display_pill&id=29522
lol

Hahaha, Solipsis.

Yeah, among the jewels of pills, there are certainly a boat load of crap among them. Sadly, I know this all too well (fucking pipe synths, I hate you).

It's just funny thinking about that particular synth. (Ha, here's an amp based pill I'm passing off as mdma, with also barely any amp...here's a heart to go with that). Lol, what an ironic bastard. =D

Thank you! So i'll just go with adding a bit more magnesium to my acetone. I just want to be sure that there is not too much water in my acetone before I perform the wash because I don't want to dissolve my MDMA.
It might be a bit OCD but I'm better safe than sorry :)

Thanks for your comprehensive answer!

It's just funny thinking about that particular synth. (Ha, here's an amp based pill I'm passing off as mdma, with also barely any amp...here's a heart to go with that). Lol, what an ironic bastard. =D

Also, lol. I wouldn't even eat a pill that looks like that :D