How private are private messages?

Raz

Bluelighter
I was just wondering....from a legal point of view, how private are any private messages we send one another here? (or on any other board/chatroom for that matter?)

Does anybody else other than the sender and recipient get to see the content of a private message at all?

And let's say I were to admit to doing something illegal in a private message, would that be something that could be used by law enforcement?

Was just curious...

--Raz--

Private messages are private in that only people with access to the server (bluelight administrators, bluelight engineers) or the recipient of the message can view them.

Of course if the law were able to gain access to either the server directly or your other parties account then they can do whatever they wish with the message.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that anyone with access to your pc or the network between the bluelight server and your computer could also intercept your messages.

Last edited:
and fortunately a quick traceroute clearly shows the server is hosted in the netherlands, far out of reach of the grimey hands of US law enforcement....

They're not private at all. Everytime someone sends me another PM asking for chemical suppliers, I forward it directly to the feds!

Thanks all! :D

And Mahan Atma, your kitty is scary... :(

--Raz--

Mahan Atma said:
They're not private at all. Everytime someone sends me another PM asking for chemical suppliers, I forward it directly to the feds!

Nothing you say on a computer is "private". I don't care if the site is routed through Bolivia; it can be read and/or recovered from your computers hard drive.

I would suggest that you invest in a program that "cleans" your hard drive.

As far as taking info. received on BL and forwarding it to the Feds. is IMO just fucking stupid. I cannot believe a mod. would do this!

Perhaps I should rephrase the above. Forwarding info. on this site to the Feds. does no one any good. It will most assuredly draw unneeded attention to the site as well as resulting in having said mod. subpoenaed to testify in Fed. Court.

DO NOT INCRIMINATE YOURSELF IN ANY WAY ON THIS OR ANY OTHER SITE!

Last edited:
^^^Don't get your knickers in a knot :) He was being facetious. I know of no Bluelight staff member who has ever done (or even would do) such a thing.

It's the better course of action to abstain from discussion of plans to engage in iffy or illegal behavior in BL private messages. In all likelihood you would not have a problem, but even the best Internet security measures are flawed.

^^^
If he was in fact being facetious then I suppose I did get my knickers in a knot and apologize.

Like someone once instructed me; when you are not being serious it is advisable to end the reply with a smiley face.

So i should cancell my order of 1300kgs of high grade cocaine that i purchased on ebay? i thought transactions were confidential?

^^^Sarcastic comments in a serious forum are not ok, do we understand each other?

Back on topic, now.

*cracks whip*

I maintain that in the absence of the most technologically 1337 (redundant, I know) security measures and even sometimes in their presence, transmissions over the Internet can be intercepted by both legally sanctioned and illegal spies. It does not happen frequently, but the one time it becomes personal... you know the rest.

I don't make blanket statements often, but here's one for you.

Be vigilant and USE GOOD JUDGMENT in your discussions of quasi-legal or outright illegal activities/substances.

That is all.

your typed text is not encrypted, and is transmitted via open internet protocols. all ip routes out of America are monitored (and you should assume domestic as well), so your unencrypted packets are not secure (i have a friend that builds unix kernels for the large servers that monitor this sort of traffic in real time). most likely, you are insignificant to the feds. in any event, all that you send or read over the internet is as public as a whisper at the mall unless your traffic is encrypted - and even then, if you're a serious target it isn't all that effective. I haven't seen anything on bluelight that is even the least bit encrypted (your address bar would read "https://..." - not "http://...").

Everything is sent over the internet, but most things are handled on the bl server, without a sopenia they can't get any of this info legeally, unless the admin's of the site would forfeit it willingly, after that they still have to prove your username is associated to you directly, which means ip addresses, now your ip just doesn't say he it's you it usually points to the ISP so then they would have to get a sopenia to get the client information to the ip address, i really wouldn't worry about it, really legeally they can't tell much unless they were given the log files from the servers, depending on the admin's they may or may not need a warrent/sopenia, if it's oveseas that starts a whole new thing, and if you are all that worried you can configure you computers to go through a proxy server (anonymous) or 5, make it that much more of a pain with that many more sopenia's needed to get the logs, either way i really doubt unless you are doing so really illgeal things over this board they are going to bother with u, since u all seem to be parinoid, who's to say this wasn't actually setup by say the CIA or FBI so that they could monitor drug trends and use it to track information on use static's and developing patterns across the world, and you are one of their labrats giving them loads of information??????