Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How pot gives people the munchies

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
How pot gives people the munchies
Traci Watson
Feb 19 2015

Greasy burgers, oily pizza, raw cookie dough – anything's fair game for someone with the munchies, the insatiable hunger that strikes marijuana users. Now scientists have identified a surprising new brain circuit behind those pot-fueled snack attacks.

The munchies are triggered in part by brain cells that normally turn down appetite, according to a new study in this week's Nature. Under the influence of pot, these circuits switch from signaling "Don't eat" to "Eat!" even if the body doesn't need any food.

At first glance, the finding was completely "nonsensical," says study author Tamas Horvath, a neurobiologist at Yale University School of Medicine. It's as if "you're driving down a hill and you brake, brake, brake, and all of a sudden the brake becomes an accelerator."

The biology of pot was not on Horvath's mind when he and his colleagues embarked on a series of experiments involving a synthetic version of one of the active ingredients in marijuana. The research was merely supposed to confirm the nerve circuits that tamp down hunger.

Instead, the results were "upside down," Horvath says. He thought there must be some kind of mistake and asked his students to repeat the experiments. They got the same results.

The brain cells pinpointed by Horvath's lab are the POMC neurons, which under normal circumstances suppress the impulse to eat. But when the researchers dosed mice with an imitation marijuana chemical, it activated the POMC neurons.

At the same time, mice that should have been sleeping began gobbling their chow, even though "it's not a very exciting food for them. Imagine if we'd given them some good stuff," Horvath says. Mice dosed with the drug might gorge on three or four times their normal amount of food, depending on how the drug was given.

Other tests showed that the active POMC cells were essential to the ferocious appetite the mice developed. Horvath suspects the POMC nerve cells could also be involved in creating the high associated with marijuana because other studies show that the POMC cells have a role in complex behaviors beyond eating.

The finding is "fascinating," says the Vanderbilt University Medical Center's Roger Cone, who was not involved with the study. But he adds that a number of other brain networks have been implicated in the munchies. Another recent study, for example, found that a marijuana chemical binds to nerve cells involved with smell, which may make food more enticing.

Horvath and his team also discovered that POMC neurons trigger eating by releasing one of the body's natural painkillers, notes neuroscientist Nicholas DiPatrizio of the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine.

continued here http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/18/munchies-pot-marijuana-study-hunger/23592503/

This is interesting, though I don't understand what is really happening.
Except at a basic level. (The article itself is very basic.)

My reactions to cannabis are different than most people's.
For example, I cannot sleep when I am high - I will lie in bed for hours, my mind racing, until I am not high, before I can possibly fall asleep.
And, I do not get the munchies. In fact, I can barely eat.
I know that there are some people that are similar to me in this way (having encountered them here on BL).
But we are in a small minority.

When I was young and began using weed, none of this was the case.
I got the munchies and could sleep easily, just like most people.
Only after a decade or so of getting high did my reaction change, quite drastically.

This is interesting, though I don't understand what is really happening.
Except at a basic level. (The article itself is very basic.)

My reactions to cannabis are different than most people's.
For example, I cannot sleep when I am high - I will lie in bed for hours, my mind racing, until I am not high, before I can possibly fall asleep.
And, I do not get the munchies. In fact, I can barely eat.
I know that there are some people that are similar to me in this way (having encountered them here on BL).
But we are in a small minority.

When I was young and began using weed, none of this was the case.
I got the munchies and could sleep easily, just like most people.
Only after a decade or so of getting high did my reaction change, quite drastically.

I'm similar - it has always been this way for me.

If I'm dead tired and I smoke, I will be up for hours and hours...it can be quite frustrating at times. If I'm already hungry and I then smoke, I completely lose my appetite till the high wears off.

Yeah one of my old mates was always like that too, he couldnt sleep when stoned. Me on the other hand, I'll start to watch something on the TV when stoned and start to nod off. =D

I'm similar - it has always been this way for me.

If I'm dead tired and I smoke, I will be up for hours and hours...it can be quite frustrating at times. If I'm already hungry and I then smoke, I completely lose my appetite till the high wears off.

I also get similar effects to this. Not always but often. Racing mind, too anxious to eat or sleep etc. I think it depends where I am at mentally before I smoke. I really like the lazy mellow feeling after it has worn off though.

I never used to get this when I was younger though and I was a regular stoner.

I also get similar effects to this. Not always but often. Racing mind, too anxious to eat or sleep etc. I think it depends where I am at mentally before I smoke. I really like the lazy mellow feeling after it has worn off though.

I never used to get this when I was younger though and I was a regular stoner.

Thankfully, I don't suffer from anxiety while sober or after smoking at all. My loss of appetite and inability to sleep is not due to racing thoughts or anything like that. I just find weed very stimulating.

Weed has never made me tired or hungry (it does the complete opposite in fact), and it has been this way each and every time since my first.

I usually find it stimulating at first too. After a couple of hours is when the sleepiness kicks in.