• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How open are you about your drug use? Who knows you use drugs?

I'm pretty open across the board, but to varying degrees, depending on the person, their relationship to me, and the substance in question. Everyone knows I have a history, not shy about that, and all but like two people in my daily or at least weekly life know I at least smoke pot. No shame to it, just simply not everyone needs to know everything.

When I was younger I was secretive until I couldn't keep it a secret and didnt give a fuck. My family knew I was wild n out tho so I'm sure they knew. I am the family black sheep so iv always been different.

After I went through Heroin/Morphine addiction I couldn't hide my troubles. Everyone knew. I lost every one but the people who mattered.

I'm not open about it whatsoever anymore ill lie even to users. It's no one's business and they can think whatever they want.

If I like you and your around enough you'll know wassup. I don't let anyone in anymore tho. Those days are over.

I'm open about it but in a way that allows for plausible deniability. I will refer to prior use without specific dates, and I am pretty selective about the kinds of things I'll openly admit to (psychedelics, sometimes ketamine) vs. the types of things that I'm more private about. I am very open about my history with heroin before getting clean in 2008. Part of the reason for disclosing that is because I want to push back against stigma and show that people can get clean and contribute to society in a meaningful way. I'm a licensed clinical professional with a couple of graduate degrees which helps to show that I'm a respectable professional. I don't know if I'd be as open if I didn't have the years of working as a clinician/graduate education. That said, I'm open about it in order to make it easier for others to be open too.

Completely open with my family, friends and doctors, less so with employers and random people I meet. Doctors prescribe all drugs/medications I use (besides nocotine patches and caffeine) so I am very direct and open cause with time (sometimes it takes months, sometimes even years...) honesty is the only optimal policy. So when it is a question of living miserable or "good/least worse that is possible" I will gamble with truth every time. In most other situations keeping ones mouth shut has shown to be a winner. So in my life every person that is important knows who I am. Others don't even register so I don't bother...

I'm open about it but in a way that allows for plausible deniability. I will refer to prior use without specific dates, and I am pretty selective about the kinds of things I'll openly admit to (psychedelics, sometimes ketamine) vs. the types of things that I'm more private about. I am very open about my history with heroin before getting clean in 2008. Part of the reason for disclosing that is because I want to push back against stigma and show that people can get clean and contribute to society in a meaningful way. I'm a licensed clinical professional with a couple of graduate degrees which helps to show that I'm a respectable professional. I don't know if I'd be as open if I didn't have the years of working as a clinician/graduate education. That said, I'm open about it in order to make it easier for others to be open too.
That may work for you and your situation, but for most people are better off keeping their mouths shut about it. Not everyone wants to be an activist.
It may work for you but, it is better for most people to not discuss it, IRL

I only would admit it to My friends. Never to coworkers or bosses, and especially not to family. I could lose my job if I talk about drug use and they decide to test me "randomly.", and my family doesn't need to know that I smoke and drink. Why would they? The only people that do need to know are my friends, especially if I'm drunk or high when we are hanging out.

That may work for you and your situation, but for most people are better off keeping their mouths shut about it. Not everyone wants to be an activist.
It may work for you but, it is better for most people to not discuss it, IRL
I would hardly call myself an activist, just someone who has the privilege of expertise and professional/academic accomplishment - I learned long ago that it is the obligation of those in positions of privilege to use that to make things better for those without it. It's one way I work to push back against stigma, because stigma leads people to carry secrets, and secrets make for fertile ground for things like addiction, overdose, and toxicity. I am well aware that most people aren't in a position to be honest about who they are and what they do nor do I think people should be obligated to share their personal choices with others - just that they it should be less stigmatized so that people can make the choice to do so if they wish.

Wow, how arrogant, to say you have graduate degrees and that people with them have an obligation to tell others.
keeping your personal life your own business is ok.
What is there to say; other than drug abuse is bad, ruins lives and kills people?
We as a society are too open, which is foolish. This notion of telling everyone are personal business is beyond stupid.
I will discuss my life to a certain point, but people being so open and telling everyone all about their drug use IRL, is stupid and can bite you in the ass.
Drug and alcohol abuse is bad, what more is there to say. I know this first hand and most people don't give a shit about being informed.
People will do and judge and stigmatize all they want.
Trying to normalize drug abuse is a horrible idea.