• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How old will be when you stop drugs/will you use forever?

@disintegrating man
Great read dude, keep sharing your wisdom with the young fella's,
sounds like you've spent plenty of time thinking about this sort of thing.
I hope you stick around bluelight too, I'm sure someone with your experience and wisdom would not go un-appreciated.

You're coming up with some really interesting threads footscrazy :)

Will I ever stop using drugs entirely? I doubt it....

Well less than a month later and I'm already eating my words :eek: Time for an extended sober period for me. Please exercise moderation and make sure you have more days straight-and-sober than not everyone. Your kidneys and livers aren't indestructible. :(

I've thought about this from time to time. Starting out, my intention was to have no more than three acid trips, and that would be it. Curiosity. But when I re-approached them, I had a really particular goal in mind, and I was going to do whatever it took to get there, whether that meant one trip or a thousand. I hope to have reached that goal by the end of next year. Will I stop then? I'll probably change the focus of it and reduce use to once every couple of months. If I ever have kids, it'll be no more than twice a year, special days off to myself with ayahuasca or something similarly mystical.

I'm almost 30 and my usage has been consistent the past five or so years. I have a great job and I'm comfortable with using into the future.
What might change that - a partner.

I will probably use forever, with patterns of use changing I imagine. In fact that was a major difference between me and a recently ex-partner. It wasn't just that she didn't like drugs, she had a prejudice against drug users and didn't even think I should be trying to help people here on BL. She couldn't understand that drug users are marginalized, unfairly discriminated against legally and socially and just like every other person need help sometimes. She also couldn't understand that people are going to use drugs anyway, and that nothing will stop that and we may as well educate people to help keep them safe.

Would I cut back for a girl I was serious about? Yes. Would I give up everything completely and give up my contributions to HR? No. Never.

No idea. Hopefully I grow out of it, but at the same time it's a lot of fucking fun.

I don't see myself quitting, but at the rate I'm going, I don't have a reason to quit. Just do them once in a blue moon when the opportunity presents itself. Psychedelics are awesome because they're really hard to abuse. MDMA is awesome because you know when you've had too much. Ketamine on the other hand...yeah, ketamine is the only one of the drugs that I do that I like to do on a constant basis. Everything else is in moderation.

I will probably use forever, with patterns of use changing I imagine. In fact that was a major difference between me and a recently ex-partner. It wasn't just that she didn't like drugs, she had a prejudice against drug users and didn't even think I should be trying to help people here on BL. She couldn't understand that drug users are marginalized, unfairly discriminated against legally and socially and just like every other person need help sometimes. She also couldn't understand that people are going to use drugs anyway, and that nothing will stop that and we may as well educate people to help keep them safe.

Would I cut back for a girl I was serious about? Yes. Would I give up everything completely and give up my contributions to HR? No. Never.

I like this - same for me.

The entire stigma around drugs is mostly overdone from a rational standpoint. We all know that meds (most drugs are formerly meds) just get scheduled as 1. society is unable to deal with the potential for addiction with drugs in a constructive and open manner, 2. pharmaceutical companies need for newer and 'better' meds to be released onto the market to make a higher profit under a new patent (Is zolpidem really better than triazolam or temazepam for sleep-induction?, are SSRIs, SDRIs, SNRIs really better for everyone compared to opioids for depression?) and 3. media needing a news story to sell - and nothing sells as well as bad news.

The short answer to the question is NEVER. I cannot see the point of 'stopping drugs'. If alcohol, pharmaceuticals are part of society then drugs are too and the stigma and legal status is misplaced (and a result of the above 3 points and many more)

Drugs can help in various situations in life and I find the problem of the outright junkie-style addiction is well overestimated in Western Society. The percentage of drug 'abusing' and drug-dependent users is much higher than your outright addicts in my opinion. (just as with outright alcoholicism)

On another note and in an extreme case, I know a person who was heavily depressed (the real thing). No antidepressants did the trick and hadn't it been for their discovery of morphine he would have committed suicide.

The point to make is that our society just needs to be a bit more open-minded when it comes to our approach to drugs.

Another theory given is that the 'leading class' throughout history banned anything that made the community lazy and less willing to work/consume etc. and hence be easily used for profiteering purposes. I don't really like weed myself (poppy lover :) ), but who am I to judge if somebody wishes to smoke weed regularly and has no great motivational drive to succeed, chase money and consume.

From a capitalist's perspective a community with a high percentage of weed smokers would be a nightmare.....Armani suit, Ferrari...who needs that??

Does make me wonder why such smart drugs as Modafinil haven't become more widespread and acceptable.....fit right into capitalist society.

Last edited:
I think i wont ever stop. I am 19 and i started drinking when i was 10 and doing drugs when i was 12 and very well experienced at age 14 beyond anyone my age. My family has a long line of alcoholics and drug addicts so i pretty much cant get away from it. Plus i just smoke alot weed mostly because i am a medical MJ patient. I enjoy being under the influence of psychoactives too much to stop. =D

It's a point when you chose 'RECOVERY' over 'HARM REDUCTION' Just got out of Odessy House and have a lot to tell... Basically a story between life and death. Will write more laters or as a journal. Very interesting tho.

When will I stop using recreational drugs? I've already stopped using them regularly, more enjoyable for me this way. For example I'm on raw poppy pods right now, which I might do once or twice a week while they last. It's nice how they are seasonal...using them constantly year round would kill the fun and make it usual.

I'll probably never stop, but I can see my use going right down to maybe once every few years or something at points in the future.

I'm still just as interested in pretty much every aspect of drug use and drugs :) don't think that'll ever change.

Our lives are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme...do whatever you like as long as it doesn't hurt others. If you hammer drugs every night of the week and you're happy - I don't really see the problem. Guilt about drug use sucks arse...

i started using drugs at 13 , now 17 and have recently moved states and have had to have 0 drugs . i can see myself doing this for the rest of my life , but tbh i cant fucking wait to go find some bud and shit when i get cash , and i cant wait to see my boys in sydney for some methys and shit . i think i will stop when im about 25 , ill then just keep drinking and smoking cigarettes , although i have been working towards quitting cigarettes .

I'm well over 50 and enjoy the pleasures of cannabis, around 10 dhurries and a shot or two of wild turkey or Russian standard vodka every day. I also treat myself to cid and MDMA every three months or so when i can find it. I'm in pretty decent nick and never get the flu or other lergies. I'm also a functioning professional with a solid work ethos and have never given a thought to stopping my drug intake other than tobacco, which I will persist with. In my own mind I won't be bowing to outside pressure to quit anything unless I think it's time.

Weekdays, nothing before work then between 4-10 one-hit cones between say 4PM and midnight. When I bring home work I may only have a couple. Weekends is usually a cone every hour or two. I might add that my tolerance is ridiculously high and I can't remember the last time I was dry. I usually grow my own and on the rare occasions I've had to go on the scab like-minded mates have helped out with their own excellent goodies. Worst part of abundance is that I'm seldom caught off-guard by what gets packed in the pipe. Amsterdam was another story.

^ I'm not much of a weed smoker, but I was in Holland recently and found the weed a lot weaker than I was expecting, weaker than Aussie stuff I've experienced. I still enjoyed it a lot more, it was a much more pleasant experience than anything I've ever tried in Aus - which tends to make me edgy and anxious. Is it a matter of local knowledge, you think? I'm guessing you have to know the right places to go, as I can imagine a lot of the shops cater to tourists, and can get away with some mediocre shit. I also tended to go for the low-medium priced shit, which is prob another factor. I also found the weed in the smaller towns around Holland, rather than Amsterdam, tended to be cheaper and better quality.

Fuuuuuck you sound like someone I used to know. Why would you even date someone that narrow minded? I can't understand it. But i'm a bit stubborn and wouldn't really change myself for someone.

Its sad though, I've barely explored drugs before i've had to make a retreat. I've always been prone to being introspective, but I've always had quite a love of life. Maybe it was after I started smoking weed, but I'm able to see psychedelica in everything. I've this keen sense of detail for certain things, colours in the room, the space of the road. I like art and writing, naturally. I mean, the best thing is my imagination.

I first smoked weed at the end of grade 11, 16 nearly 17. I'm just 19 now. I've really just started. When I had my first spliff....

Nothing happened.
Or the second one for that matter.

Little did I realise how unnaturally this came to me, I couldn't smoke and looked like a fool doing so and shook and got super nervous rolling or carrying weed the lot.
Someone at work ripped me off hard (i didnt know) but at least he provided a bong.

The world fissured marvellously.
Then it was all I could talk about.

The first time is still my most psychedelic experience to date (ive yet to have a really intense trip, just weak acid with dxm, dxm on its own like 5 times, k twice but not enough, and mushies that didnt really work). Like, my vision divided into concertina frames of black and white (it was night) with negative colours in the black, and then the negative/positive flicking from one frame to another. Its so hard to describe. Obviously I was super paranoid.
I thought I saw a restaurant lift off the earth and golden sparkling light escape from the hole it had left, the building wobbled then dropped back down. I saw spanish dudes with those frilly pants on, in the sky.

Each successive time I smoked weed was counted and I dreamed of when i'd lose count; 'I've only smoked weed lke 12 times dude', i'd tell people in high school.
Like 3 months after my first smoke I purchased acid and tried it, it was summer and the quality had degraded heaps my the time we had it, was mostly weed/the placebo, faint tingling wonder.
Soon I did loose count, and towards the end of school my friends and I would converge to indulge in mj in some public empty space. All teenage delinquent and the like.

Finished school and was suddenly dating this huge stoner/tripper, the main attraction I guess. Pretty shallow! His mind was like mine but thats all we had in common and the whole situation depressed me.
At the same time by sense of melancholy that had been present as long as I can remember, pushed into a certain tragic depression. Things where tragic for me.
On the upside, I was less paranoid when I smoked weed and enjoyed it more frequently and with more freedom.
My mum started saying my speech wasn't as fluid.
Did dxm heaps as I couldnt get cid when I needed it.
I was crying a lot, because I stayed in contact with my ex, and generally just indulged all this over feeling. Like, oh why cant I be in love... blah blah.

It all culminated in me railing waaaay to much mpdv at a 21st, it was only my second time at it. I reckon it would have been about 0.3g at least by the end of the evening, its hard to tell, I was so wired, I couldn't stop talking and licking my lips, for hours literally. Embarrassing fiend.
The comedown destroyed me. Blanking, pyschosis, had to rind in sick to work (hadnt slept) and lost the job soon after. My step dad knew something was up as soon as i walked in, thinking i was sober. It was horrible, both that night, and the colourless day after. Its bad to talk about. A month after its presence was still there, i've bad tripped off HBWR seeds before but this was worse. Flat, like there was nothing in the world. Like a painting with no dimension. Creeping sense of unease. Afterwards weed barely worked for me. I had a break.
Was saving to go to Nepal and 2 weeks before had panic attacks about going away for the first time completely alone. It felt like a shorter more intense version of the comedown. I couldn't eat and everything was malicious.
I still went to Nepal.
But I guess, it took those 3.5 months, plus the 2 ive been back, to recover some of my old trippyness. Like, I remember the first time I noticed it was back. I was so happy. The flatness gone.
I smoked weed a bit. But ever since the comedown/panic attacks. Its been almost impossible to have any magic with weed. Probably because I find it so hard to get any magic in real life.

I feel very cautious about drugs now (ok i took a shitload of zolpidem in Nepal but thats easy). Mushie season had to be ignored because I felt too weird about being back (in a bad way) but ironically the first day I got back was extremely trippy, the smells of the humidity and the smooth running of everything, and the neat tidy rows of houses...
I had a pretty nice spliff moment just this friday actually, like old times, but not nearly as good you know?

Like i want the magic back.
Do I just stop being a pussy and trip?
Do I go clean?

I don't think I will ever entirely forgo weed or drugs but i'm getting close and have done. Certainly with stims itll be only like if I know its 100% mdma or coke. Which I cant find.
So its hard to say, my interest is dwindling, it was so amazing at first, no one believed what I saw. Like patterns in all the shadows of neon pink flowers folding and twisting. No wonder I loved weed.

What to do? I miss mj and all the mj culture and the songs and the humour. :(

Nepal is awesome :) love the people there. Did you enjoy yourself? Would have been difficult if you were having anxiety issues the whole time I bet.

What to do? I miss mj and all the mj culture and the songs and the humour. :(

I guess it's just something you gotta figure out for yourself. You probably already know the right thing to do. I miss smoking weed, and the culture and all that...but no way I'd get back into it. For me, I've got some good memories, but there's other stuff that's a better fit for me right now. I still very occasionally have a spliff, and I kind of have that 'magic' you talk about..I enjoy it, but if I overdo it and smoke too much it sucks.

Last edited:
universalmind said:
Fuuuuuck you sound like someone I used to know.

Looks at universalmind's location...

NSFW:
paranoid.jpg

@ footscrazy - you have a point re. anxiety when setting is a key factor in shaping your drug-taking experience. I think the illegality of many recreational drugs in Oz often does have users feeling a bit paranoid and this unease may well be amplified by the user's DOC. Where pot is concerned it is always joy to kick back and enjoy an open-air choof in Amsterdam and the many Smart Shops around offer some mind-blowing alternatives to pot. The generally relaxed attitude is a great platform from which to launch. Agreed also that the bigger coffeeshop chains can take advantage of less savvy narco-tourists with domestic Dutch bud labeled as being more exotic than it actually is. But it is almost always fresh and well-prepared and even varieties at the bottom of the menus can still rip right through the unprepared. There are plenty of excellent smaller coffeeshops down side-streets that are cheaper, quieter and sought out by those in the know for their more authentic offerings. Out of town is definately cheaper but lacks the range of product and the same tolerance Amsterdam has of blow-ins there to score.

Sorry about the long-winded deviation, but one thing my Dutch friends agree on is that because of availability and a relaxed socio-legal attitude towards some drugs, their own drug-taking habits were more spontaneous than planned. Most have a stash of bud, decent E or shrooms tucked away but they don't simply tuck-in because its there. When the time seems right they indulge, and none plan on giving the game away any time soon.

Sadly, we here in Oz are at almost polar opposites. Community attitude to drugs is largely informed by political boofheads, policed by blinkered cops and propagated by a media which thrives on sensationalism at the expense of truth. Our pot is comparatively pricey and quality and supply often inconsistent as could safely be said of many other D'sOC we indulge in. The stigma of being labeled a druggie and the shit many have to go through to get what they want certainly gives pause to consider whether the hassle is really worth it. I'm sure many folk just give-up so they can relax and take the worry of the whole drug-taking thing out of their lives. All power to those who succeed! Its another world out there. Those of us who remain will soldier-on I guess, until we see the next wall coming. Stay safe.