• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how often to use codeine safely?

narcomick

Bluelighter
how often to use codeine?

New user here so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong and i welcome any helpful criticism of my posting. Also please redirect me if this has been asked before and I will delete my post.
I have been using codeine on a daily basis give or take for the past couple weeks now. I don't want this to become addiction. I've spent this long using it before and have came off without any WD effects. My question is how often can one use codeine without addiction? I know it's not an exact science but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Using any opiate on a daily basis is risky business mate, you'd be much better off trying to keep your useage to couple of times a week. Even then your playing with fire. If you've got a taste for opiates and you enjoy them then your halfway to addiction all ready, it'll creep up on you and then it's too late. Trust me mate I started off on codeine and am now a heroin addict. If you can't or don't want to quit completly then you need to stop using daily, you'll enjoy the drug more and safe yourself a world of shit.

Good luck mate

Opiates can be deceptive. First time people take a break from them, it's usually not that bad. Next time, there may be some rebound effects and cravings. A few more times; migraines, restless legs, nausea etc.

I can't tell how often you can use without it becoming a regular thing, but a couple of weeks at a time is already kind of making a regular thing out of it. Set yourself a limit, once a week for example, if you find you are using more than you planned or you are starting to get cravings, withdrawal symptoms, you may want to re-assess things.

I used to use codeine a bit, never experienced anything that serious as a result (maybe headaches on the days I didn't take it).. but it did give me a taste for opiates. When opium became an option for me (for some people its' heroin or oxycodone or whatever is around their area), that became a daily thing rather quickly..

So, if you going to use codeine, best to keep an occasional thing in my opinion.

Thanks guys. And I know what I'm getting into here, but all I ever have used and plan to is codeine and poppy pod tea. I think I'll only do it once or twice a week in future, with long breaks between those times too. I'm already on clonazepam and zopiclone for anxiety so it's not like I'll be out of all drugs if I stop. So yeah, I will limit my opiate use to a rare treat and be cautious. Thanks for your input everyone :)

As a user of mainly codeine myself, I feel like I can help you the most.

For me, I just go on huge binges. Taking 300mg (my perfect dose, doesn't mean yours should be the same) a day usually 24 hours apart at least or else you don't let the CYP3A4 enzyme renew enough to convert the codeine into morphine. After anywhere between 15-45 days of getting high I just stop dead. For me, I only get light headaches and get very annoyed and agitated at the smallest things but I don't think that's down to me being lucky. I have a feeling it's down to codeine being a very weak and compared to other opiates not as highly addictive. Don't misunderstand me though, codeine is one hell of an addictive drug but depending on how strong your mindset is I think if you just dabble in codeine now and then like I do and don't steer into anything stronger and harder then you should be okay.

Well i haven't used codeine in 2 years or so , but ill tell you my experiences with oxy. During my binge around the christmas/new years time i was using about 80MG of oxy which is about 800MG codeine. I did that for a little more than 2 weeks and that gave me some decent anxiety , some hotflashes , rebound pain , insomnia, and RLS. Took about 4-5 days to feel better physically and took about 7-9 days to mentally get normal. Now on my last binge i did about 40MG oxy daily for 3 weeks and have only had slight anxiety and headaches for 5 or so days. I actually thought it was a pretty easy thing to deal with last time , but the first was pretty bad. Every time i'd get "clean" and act like i can use once a week it never works... I always use a low dose when i redose after a long break , so the first time i use its kinda to gage my tolerance level and make sure i don't OD. Though I feel like i get cheated out that night because i was just testing my tolerance and that leads too day 2 use .... I'm sure you can tell what that lead too.

Tread lightly, opiates aren't something i've found many people get addicted too easier than most.