• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos How often can you use benzos maximum without getting addicted?

How often can you use benzos maximum without getting addicted?
There isn’t really a pill count to determine the limit. I know that for me, 90 Xanax bars a month for a few months didn’t have me in withdrawal when I quit cold turkey. But other people have used much less and did have problems coming down. It’s different for everyone.

There isn’t really a pill count to determine the limit. I know that for me, 90 Xanax bars a month for a few months didn’t have me in withdrawal when I quit cold turkey. But other people have used much less and did have problems coming down. It’s different for everyone.
You are definitely right that everyone is different. That amount would have me in some pretty serious water.

I've been taking Clonazepam infrequently / irregularly for 6 months and I never experience WD if I don't take a dose for a few weeks. WD's come from daily use imo. If you keep ur benzo use on a irregular pattern then you shouldn't get WDs, like a single dose here or there shouldn't cause any problems.

Last edited:

you took 6 mg of Xanax a day for months and didn’t have withdrawals? That’s absurd.

in my opinion, the average person will have mild withdrawal symptoms even after 1 month of a prescribed dose on the upper end of the scale. Say you were on 2 mg of Xanax / day or 30 mg of Valium. After a month, stopping would be uncomfortable.After 3-6 months, real withdrawals. Double the dose and make it a year, I’d say you would be paranoid anxious sweating crying in a ball and insomnia for a few weeks

This is something I’m working on at the moment. Years ago I used to seriously abuse benzos, stupidly for various reasons I’ve been taking 10mg Valium a day for a couple of months. I definitely started getting w/ds when I tried to stop after that length of time on that low a dose. It could be because of my previous abuse I’m not sure. I’ve changed to Valium now and I’m gonna do a swift taper.

Rather I’ve changed to Xanax, mostly cos it stays in your system less time and it’s easier to portion out your bars.

you took 6 mg of Xanax a day for months and didn’t have withdrawals? That’s absurd.

in my opinion, the average person will have mild withdrawal symptoms even after 1 month of a prescribed dose on the upper end of the scale. Say you were on 2 mg of Xanax / day or 30 mg of Valium. After a month, stopping would be uncomfortable.After 3-6 months, real withdrawals. Double the dose and make it a year, I’d say you would be paranoid anxious sweating crying in a ball and insomnia for a few weeks
Check your math on the pill count. Use a calculator if you need to 😊

Also I have no reason to make up this stuff. Nothing to gain. Now you want to know whst did give me rough WD? Sniffing 6 beans a day for 2 months. (80 MG oxyCONTIN). This was in 2004 when they were still sniffable. I would have preferred to be dead. I finally told my doctor what was up. My blood pressure was extremely low. He gave me a bottle of vicoden 7.5's with instructions on how to taper down. Then told me He'll never prescribe opiates to me again. Fair enough.

Also I have no reason to make up this stuff. Nothing to gain. Now you want to know whst did give me rough WD? Sniffing 6 beans a day for 2 months. (80 MG oxyCONTIN). This was in 2004 when they were still sniffable. I would have preferred to be dead. I finally told my doctor what was up. My blood pressure was extremely low. He gave me a bottle of vicoden 7.5's with instructions on how to taper down. Then told me He'll never prescribe opiates to me again. Fair enough.
I don't think people are suggesting that you are a liar.. It would seem that you somehow dodged a bullet! For me, and others, I guess that it's intriguing that you suffered no withdrawals after 3 months at 6 mg Alprazolam per day (You said you went through 90 bars per month; 1 bar = 2mg and there are roughly 30 days per month = 6 mg per day or 3 bars which is the same)

You are very lucky, as you say the Oxy rattle made you wish you were dead. If you were to suffer the same withdrawals from Benzos as most others, then you could be dead. And if not, then you certainly would wish you were dead. A 400 mg per day Oxy habit brought me brutal withdrawals.. But it wasn't in the same league as high dose Alprazolam (Xanax) withdrawal. I had Psychosis for a week after coming off Xanax cold turkey.. That was the scariest experience I have ever endured by a long way.

dont take benzos everyday for a 3-4 weeks and your ok, thats still not the worst withdrawal at that point ive been doing benzos everyday for 4 years so my withdrawal will cause me a sezisure in 3 days easily

Oh I thought you meant 6 pills a day 😆

I there would actually be a week in between scripts where I would be out. I was thinking in my head about just being prescribed 90 a month. So maybe it was that week that saved me? But here's the thing....I was an alcoholic long before a drug addict. If was a daily occurrence to finish an entire 5th of captain Morgan's or Absolute Citron, except Sunday's. I would have to drink wine because that was before liquor was sold in grocery stores. Anyway, that went on for at least a year. I never was a sloppy drunk, not even in black out mode, I don't think because I was always told that you couldn't tell I was completely shit faced. I never woke up with a hangover, never felt the need to drink first thing in the morning like my brother, and just stopped drinking one day without WD. I can't say the same for my roommates though. 3 of them had to be hospitalized. I honestly think I have a tolerance because my mom used to drink and smoke during her pregnancy. It was 1977, they didn't know better. I was destined to become an alcoholic/addict they say. I come from a loooong line of alcoholism. So thats had to have had some sort of effect on me. I don't look like a fetal alcohol baby, I'm smart AF, but who knows, maybe that's why I have a mood disorder. 🤷‍♀️

If you have ever had withdrawals before, then it will not take much at all to get back to them. it's called the "kindling" effect, where once you've been addicted, and come off, it gets easier and easier the more times you've done it to get re-addicted. To the point that people who were on benzos for a long time or on and off a number of times will have light withdrawals after a single dose.

Personally I have taken small doses of etizolam at night 4 out of 7 nights a week for several weeks in a row and been fine. That was to help with some opiate withdrawal. But I wouldn't dare do it more often than that. If you take a dose just to sleep or something (ie, not dosing them all day long), and you skip a day between every time and maybe sometimes do it two nights in a row, I think it's probably pretty sustainable but that would be the absolute max, and only if you've never been addicted. And it might not work out for everyone.

Hey dumbass a Xanax bar = 2 mg. 90 days / 30 = 3 pills a day x 2 mg = 6 Milligrams a day.
I was a fucking math major you moron, and don’t worry I believe you all those drugs made you legally retarded