• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How often can you take klonopin and maintain true therapeutic effect?

mab

Greenlighter
Ive been taking my as needed klonopin for 2 years now. for the first year i would take as needed for anxiety about twice a week. I understood the dangers of dependence but began using a little more than i used to. I began taking klonopin 4 days a week, i would start with .5mg the first and 2nd day and by the 3rd and 4th day i was using 1 mg to 1.5 mg. On this 4 day take 3 day break regime will i gain a dependence? I weigh 195 pounds and am male, my question is how can you take klonopin and maintain therapuetic effect? Another question would it be better to taper after the 4th day in sort of a backward cycle? like 1 mg the next day, half a mg the next day and then .25 the next two days? how does one measure his comfortability during taper amd what are some of the techniques that you use?

I'm prescribed 1mg twice a day and I use mine only when I really need it. Sometimes 2 (or more) a day for over a week, sometimes none for a couple months. I find it's really loosing efficiency by the second day when used in a row. 1mg can have me stumbling some days and the same could do nothing the next. I'd say take longer brakes and it'll be working almost like new again when you use it.

in my experience like 3 times a week.

Basically I would try to just use the bare minimum... if your trying to avoid dependence... I took benzos unprescribed for years, and when I would buy them off the street/from friends back then, I never got "addicted" to them, just took them now and then when they were around, I had some extra cash, and I felt like potentiating my opioids/heroin as I was addicted to that at the time, not benzos.. then I got on subs, and my sub doctor prescribed me klonopin, as I had always had really bad anxiety, and never really thought about it before I went to a doctor, that benzos could really actually benefit my life, and how I lived it.. and they have! tremendously! When I took them recreationally, I took them to get fucked up with my opiates, which is NOT recommended. it is a well known dangerous combination, and causes tons of ODs but as long as you aren't addicted to opioids OP, that's beside the point. Basically I started out taking just 0.5 mg of Kpin as needed, and that really felt like as needed was every day, more than once a day, when I noticed how well they took away my anxiety without being on strong, full agonist opioids like heroin or oxy along with them.. I was on suboxone instead.. I quickly became dependent on them over the first couple months, and began asking for more and more, and eventually was at 5mg a day... well this was like 4 maybe 5 years ago, and still I am taking klonopin daily.. and I am dependent on it, but I feel as I am one person who truly NEEDS to be on benzo meds.. I never truly knew how much better they can make life, if you are a very anxious/nervous and shy person like I used to be... but now I am the opposite, I am very social/friendly and meet new people almost daily, strike up conversations with them and make new friends/girlfriends, and that was something I was never good at in the past... any way I am kind of going a bit overboard here lol.. to sum things up, if you are someone that doesn't need this medication, and can live just taking it a few days a week, by all means take it sparingly only a few days a week.. unless your like me and plan on being on benzos for the rest of your life, I would highly recommend just keeping it "as needed" and not a daily thing, also be careful with your dosing.. the more you take, it may feel better at first, but in the end, all it does is make you want more and more.. because your tolerance becomes much higher, and higher the more you take each time... so I wouldn't keep increasing your dosage as you said you had done, or you will be left feeling as if you need that higher dose each day, just stick with one dose... and stay there, taking it a few times a week or as needed, benzos suck to get off of.. they have the worst withdrawls of any drug, you can possibly imagine!