• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids How much sublinugal buprenorphine for opiate-naive patient with severe pain

Ivan_the_Boyo

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,
I would like to know what would be the dose of sublingual buprenorphine that could be used in a acute situation when person is feeling intense, severe pain, rated 10/10 on a scale by patient. If we imagine that only buprenorphine is available, what would be the sublingual dose sufficient for opiate-naive patient?

What would be the dose for oral morphine in same situation?

I searched the Internet but didn't find answer. I am aware that buprenorphine is not used for that, but what would be your answer if you were in situation where you needed to give that dose. Thanks!

It actually is used for pain, but the doses start in thre ug (microgran range). 100 ug (0.1 mg) is probably a good dose to start with, but be careful increasing as I've heard stories of people getting really nauseated and having a bad head ache after taking too high of a dose.

Bupe has never helped me much with pain but tacodude is right. You would want to start with an incredibly low dose.

Moved to BDD since this is a dosing question.

For a non-tolerant user 0.1mg is a good starting dose.

Taking too much bupe for your tolerance level is especially unpleasant because you can and will throw up all day due to the long half-life so definitely keep the dose low.

Taking too much bupe for your tolerance level is especially unpleasant because you can and will throw up all day due to the long half-life so definitely keep the dose low.

Agreed. 100mcg seems reasonable. With strips depending on the dose of the strip it might be hard to get that low a dose. With the tablets one can weigh out the total weight of the tablet which can give you an idea of the ratio & divide the tablet accordingly. It's a hassle but do-able. (As I've done it. :LOL:)

If you're looking for more information regarding the usage of buprenorphine as an analgesic there are sublingual forms of buprenorphine used for analgesia. You may wish to look at the prescribing information & related documentation for Belbuca or Temgesic. IIRC those are two brand names for sublingual buprenorphine that is used for pain. They come in varying doses based on the product. I can't recall the exact doses of each ATM & don't have time to look. I'm pretty sure Temgesic comes in 200mcg (not sure about other doses?). As for Belbuca I can't recall the doses but I do recall the highest Belbuca dose is 900mcg.

Like I said I'm not positive how helpful that information will be but I'm pressed for time & hope that it will be of some use to you. :)

I second Wilson on this one. A 10/1] is clearly no laughing matter. The hard part about Buprenorphine is that it's pharmacokinetics (how a drug interacts with the body essentially) are far less-straightforward than Morphine.

I'll start with the easy one. Morphine can be taken orally, as you probably know. People typically inject Morphine for economical reasons (more of the drug is absorbed/active), with the intensity of the effect being a main reinforcing effect.

If tou tread lightly, you can start with a relatively low dose like 10mg. Allow an hour and be mindful of how the drug works for you. This is your benchmark. Use common sense to increase the dosage stepwise until your pain is tolerable.

Tolerable is the operative word. We all love getting high. That is just life. The problem is using higher-than-required dosages will ultimately limit the effectiveness of the painkillers in the long-term.

Next, Buprenorphine for pain is completely different than for Opioid dependency maintenance. The goal of maintenance is not analgesia, it is abstinence.

The drug is ultimately a more potent painkiller in dosages well below 2mg at most. We can discuss the very-complicated nature of Bupe all day, but you can also just walk away for now knowing that the lowest tolerable dose of both Bupe and Morphine is best.

I wouldn't be exceeding .4mg at a time. You can always take more, but allow say, 2 hours for the bupe to fully hit its stride.

Use liquid measurement to make small doses (8 ml per 8 mg strip/pill makes 100 ug every 0.1 ml, or 10 units on an insulin syringe)

Use liquid measurement to make small doses (8 ml per 8 mg strip/pill makes 100 ug every 0.1 ml, or 10 units on an insulin syringe)

That is a really cool idea. Given the user would be taking tenths of milliliters at a time, there would be a manageable amount of liquid. I bet it would absorb quickly and effectively.

Indeed. I've never tried making a solution with the strips. I haven't needed to go that low since the strips became prevalent. It sounds like it would be a good idea. They don't gel, clog or clump? :unsure:
Actually come to think of it they probably don't all that much. As I have a small piece in my mouth ATM & it doesn't appear to be an issue. 😆 Answered my own question. :\

That is a really cool idea. Given the user would be taking tenths of milliliters at a time, there would be a manageable amount of liquid. I bet it would absorb quickly and effectively.

It seems like it would be quite effective. I know it works great with other opioids. I've made a hydromorphone / oxymorphone nasal sprays in the past using a similar method. It is effective from my anecdotal experience. :)

If they use a small amount of ethanol it should increase bioavailibility too

Seconded. Ethanol helps increase the sublingual B/A of buprenorphine. As I said I haven't had the need & also hadn't considered the dissolving well or not thing to any real degree but I can totally see the usefulness of this method for some ppl. Thanks for posting; good suggestions. (y)

If it's filtered it's not a problem especially since it's not being injected so cotton is enough.

Also thank you for the appreciation

Temgesic sublingual tablets come in only 0.2 mg and they're not scored. Buprenex ampoules are 0.3 mg/ml in 1-ml glass ampoule so that's about the maximum needed initially for acute pain.

Yes, 0.1 mg would be very safe for a person with little or no opiate tolerance and extremely severe pain. But for pain that severe, 10 on a 10 scale, it's probably not enough unless the person is extremely small or another reason for expecting hypersensitivity. Prior posts by mods saying 0.1 mg show strong bias towards maximizing safety which is the stated goal of this entire enterprise directed to harm reduction for recreational drug users. But a physician choosing an initial dose would be weighing safety on one side versus desirability of quickly relieving the person's suffering on the other. Actual product insert for Buprenex says: Pain medications work best if they are used as the first signs of pain occur. If you wait until the pain has worsened, the medication may not work as well. So, giving a cautious dose of 0.1 mg and waiting for maybe 2 hours before, what, taking another 0.1 or maybe 0.2 mg? Sounds like torture.

So that's the first comment, where I'd say the 0.2-mg strength of Temgesic in a tablet that can't be split is a good dose for moderate to severe acute pain because it's been widely considered safe for over 40 years used worldwide for acute pain but those tablets never caught on in the US. Maximum dose in an ER they'd be giving buprenorphine as Buprenex by IV or IM and the 0.3-mg dose of one ampoule is so standard they now have disposable auto-injectors pre-loaded with the 0.3 mg dose and everyone over the age of 13 gets the same dose: (buprenorphine) is indicated for the relief of moderate to severe pain. DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION. Adults: The usual dosage for persons 13 years of age and over is 1 ml Buprenex (buprenorphine) (0.3 mg buprenorphine).

There was a thread a month ago on making a liquid from Suboxone films and people there and now are using that liquid as if it's Buprenex and squirting volumetric doses in the mouth and talking about the dose from buprenorphine used either for pain or opiate maintenance. But Suboxone is not Subutex, and the naloxone makes a big difference in that drug's effect. I've had about nine years of Suboxone treatment first with name-brand tablets, then films, then the two generics and if you make a water or water/alcohol solution from them it's not the same drug as Buprenex. So call it liquid Suboxone or Suboxone in water because it's not buprenorphine and it's not equivalent to Buprenex. I've had name-brand Temgesic and a long time ago when it was a C-5 before Suboxone came along we'd get it from Mexican farmacias on the border and they'd get almost $2 per 0.2-mg tab because people loved them and it was a very nice high.

So, mg for mg, people did and still continue to pay much more for plain buprenorphine than they'd pay for the naloxone mixture. Some people might not mind the naloxone or maybe that's all they've ever known. But Temgesic and Buprenex are still sold, and there are new formulations like the Sublocade for subcutaneous long-acting opiate maintenance and Simbadol which is a 24-hr buprenorphine injection for cats only, for vets to use for post-operative pain so they don't send the cat home with pre-measured doses Buprenex. Buprenorphine is becoming very popular!

When I wanted to make a buprenorphine solution I went to a methadone clinic doctor and got a scrip for Subutex, and the generic 8-mg made by HI-TECH are the tiniest little white tablets that dissolve in water very quickly. If you can't get Buprenex that's how you could have a home-made water solution of plain buprenorphine.

Then there's the issue of loss of drug from incomplete dissolution of film into the solvent liquid. The films in water become a gel and you'd have no way of knowing how much drug is retained in your glassware and any filter. One way to minimize those losses is to dedicate the equipment to only that drug so you're not washing it down the drain, at least it's not being thrown away and after a while it'll reach an equilibrium load from the film being deposited on the surfaces exposed to the liquid. The film is designed so that the active drugs migrate out of the film and adhere to tissue in the person''s mouth. Out of the film and onto a surface. Well, if you dissolve the film in liquid in a small beaker you'll have drug adhering to the glass. How much drug adheres to the surfaces? I'd guess that if you're starting with clean glass it could be approximately half of the drug adhering to the glass.

I use dedicated equipment with my poppy pod preparation equipment, never cleaning it and using it only with poppy, which meant reserving a $4 coffee grinder for use with pods only and not using it for coffee. And there's a 150-ml flask used only for making a diazepam/olive-oil solution and the undissolved diazepam stays in the flask and eventually i'll clean it if the crud turns a darker brown but I'll be using cotton to trap the sludge and not throw it away.

Last edited: